Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Buddha Jones: The saying holds true, just put one in their hands... and they are sold. Kinda made me wanna upgrade.
Yes, I agree, which is precisely why Pentax is lagging in sales. When I was researching my DSLR purchase, I could get my hands on virtually any Nikon, Canon, Sony or even Olympus & Fuji model I wanted. But I could not get a Pentax to hold and inspect. I do not live out in the "boonies" either.

It was only due to the fact that I searched a great deal, especially on line, that Pentax came to shine. In fact, this forum was a decisive factor in my purchase of the K20. I actually bought the K20, having never seen a Pentax DSLR before. When I took it out of the Adorama packing one year ago, I knew I had my hands on something very special.

But I do not think a lot of people would buy like I did. So, for Pentax, the old "word of mouth" sales medium is vital.

QuoteQuote:
johnsherwood: I went out at lunch that day and bought the K20!!!......bought the Sigma 10-20 the next day!
I am currently considering this Sigma wide zoom. and find is unusual you have not put a review in our lens database? Do you have any comments on this lens you would care to share to a prospective buyer? I would appreciate it--thanks.

03-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
My method was simple, I merely put my unit in her hands...
You mean she actually played around with your equipment!?
03-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
My method was simple, I merely put my unit in her hands...
The last time I tried to my unit in someones hands, I got Bitch Slapped!
03-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #34
Inactive Account

since there is no problem getting a hold of Pentax here in Toronto, the first thing I tell a prospective DSLR purchaser is go to the store and compare them, how they feel in your hands, the controls, the layouts, the features and the money's worth. So far, there are at least 12 who bought Pentax and just last 2 weeks, another 3 bought the K20. Since we all work in the same company, almost everyday we have a chance to talk about cameras and photography. Most of them came from P&S and have little background about SLR. Funny but we tease the Canikon guys because we outnumber them, but the truth is most of them bought Pentax because of IQ. There are couple of guys who are into cameras as well, one has C* Rebel and the other a N* D80. For many of them (the prospective buyers), the IQ from prints and the computer screen @work, the big 2 just don't cut it. There is something from Pentax shots that swayed them to go Pentax. Attached are couple of pictures for a get together after work. Several were not able to make it because of work schedule.

cheer,

rene

03-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #35
Veteran Member

whoa!
there's a lota Pentax over there!
Good job!
03-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I honestly cannot count how many C&N shooter I converted to Pentax. In fact when I appeared at the Salon de Photo in Paris last year I must have spoken with at least 20 C&N users who considered switching to Pentax. The K20D was the clincher.
03-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Managed to convience a friend looking for a DSLR to go Pentax, but now due to recession, he is holding back purchase but he told me to look out for him if a good deal comes along.

Another friend who is based in Taiwan asked me only yesterday about my cam as he remember I had the K10D. Tolld him I just bought the K20D a couple of days back and he went around looking.

He was actually looking at CANikon but I managed to persuade him to look at the K20D.

Woder how many more we can convert over.

03-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Always good to be able to help people along. Sounds like she knew her way around too
03-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #39

Good job man,

I've mentioned Pentax more then once to friends of mine. Most don't know there's a world aside from Canon and Nikon.
03-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote

I am currently considering this Sigma wide zoom. and find is unusual you have not put a review in our lens database? Do you have any comments on this lens you would care to share to a prospective buyer? I would appreciate it--thanks.
IMHO I take much more 'from' this forum than I could begin to offer to it at this point in my photographic journey.........Ansel Adams I ain't!

Posting a lens review that make make some poor weak ( LBA ) soul part with $700 of his or her hard earned money because of my review should be as concerning for you as it is for me!

Having said that, the Sigma 10-20 I've found to be an amazing lens. Very good IQ, Breathtaking FOV at 10mm!! Some distortion at the edges but I believe to be expected at 10mm. Colour is very nice too. Built like a tank, nice lens hood, padded zipper case......most money I've spent on a lens......or a filter for that matter, I think the Sigma UV 77mm filter I bought was another $100!

I don't think that I've even begun to leverage everything that this lens has to offer yet, a good one to grow old together with.........my wife too!

I've given you ever opportunity to NOT take my advice, but I'd buy it again tomorrow.

John
03-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
johnsherwood: IMHO I take much more 'from' this forum than I could begin to offer to it at this point in my photographic journey
Well said. so many of us here feel this way--such a great forum.

QuoteQuote:
johnsherwood:Posting a lens review that make make some poor weak ( LBA ) soul part with $700 of his or her hard earned money because of my review should be as concerning for you as it is for me!
LOL--yes but they will part with it anyway, on some lens somewhere, better it go to a keeper--and the lens has dropped in price to $440 shipped--hope this frees your conscience some $260 worth.

QuoteQuote:
johnsherwood: I don't think that I've even begun to leverage everything that this lens has to offer yet, a good one to grow old together with.........my wife too!
Wow, a serious sentence you have there--Sigma marketing might just run with this: it would serve the dual function of selling the lens and easing the LBAers conscience since due attention is given to wives everywhere.

Something like this: "The 10-20mm, like the perfect woman, complementing the aging process"

Thanks John!
03-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I bought my sister the Samsung GX-1L kit a month ago when it was $225. She's been having a blast with it. I also gave her an SMC-A 28mm f/2.8 and a SMC-A 135mm f/2.8. She was an old Minolta shooter from way back. I thought about finding her a Sony, but I don't think she has much Minolta gear anyway.

Now she's going down the digital darkroom path and having a blast.
03-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I've been reading this thread (some funny stuff in here), but today I learned that my friend who asked me about cameras back in Nov. has a K20D. I told him a lot about Pentax, but didn't really try to sell the brand - I don't have enough experience with the other brands to knock 'em. I just told him to spend some time trying out all the cameras which meet his needs, and it looks like Pentax won.
03-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #44

A friend of mine who is a canon shooter (her studio owns the cameras) normally shoots with 20d's and 30d's, for the last year or so. I've had my K2000 for about 2 months, and she asked to see it once, and when she picked it up it was interesting to see her reaction about how it felt. I've never held any canon over an XSI, but I was just surprised to see her reaction. Then after I told her about the lenses, weather sealing (except on the K2000 body) and in body SR, and showing a few shots from my DA35mm Limited, she's thinking about buying Pentax when she is able to purchase her own system. Just thought I'd throw that in there to back up the point that all you have to do is "put it in their hands."
03-31-2009, 05:15 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I waved a few FA Limited lenses under the nose of my photography lecturer's, and he was very impressed with the build quality of the FA limited lenses, not to mention my K10D...he doesn't like light weight cameras. Neither do I. I prefer my cameras to have some heft to them

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-20-2009 at 06:51 AM.