Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I made another Pentaxian today...

A co-worker of a friend of mine was about to buy a new DSLR when he told her to STOP! He showed her some of my photos and said, you may wanna talk to this guy first. Well he hit me up and told me what was going on. I brought my bag in today with my normal weekend kit, K10D with the DA35LTD on, and the DA*50-135mm and DA*300mm laying in wait. She told me that she owns the Sony A100, which is the entry level model and the 70-300mm and was not really impressed with either of them. She didnt like the menu of the camera, things were too complex and gimicky, which IMO is something that can be expected with anything Sony. The IQ on the lens was really not there, she was doing too much PP to get them to look how she wants them to.

Well I put the K10D in her hands and showed her some things and let her play with it a bit. Showed her the menu, the shooting options and explained some of the benefits like on-body SR and weather sealing. I took off the DA35LTD and put no the DA*50-135mm and explained again the weather sealing and showed her the HSM, well, let her listen to the HSM or lack their of. She was very impressed. I explained to her about the different lens lines and how she can get 40 year old lenses and they will all work. I told her about the K20D and its improvements. I think she is ready to buy!

The saying holds true, just put one in their hands... and they are sold. Kinda made me wanna upgrade.

03-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good job Buddha! It's true- I remember doing all the research, checking specs- but then when I went to the local camera shop and actually handled the various models, ah yes, the K10D was the perfect fit! If more people had that same opportunity I think they'd see it our way as well.
03-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Good job Buddha! It's true- I remember doing all the research, checking specs- but then when I went to the local camera shop and actually handled the various models, ah yes, the K10D was the perfect fit! If more people had that same opportunity I think they'd see it our way as well.
I couldn't agree more! It was holding the ME Super for the first time that got me hooked.

Sadly though, there is NOWHERE in York, UK, that stocks Pentax SLR so people can not have that first tactile experience.

I loaded a friends hands up with my K10, he loiked it, but ended up with a Canon becouse he couldn't handle a K200 in a shop to try before buying.

Jessops have binned Pentax totaly and the local independant, York Camer Mart, stopped stocking as "they are expensive for what they are"!!!

Come on Pentax marketing!!

Bill
03-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #4

Too true,if a friend asks about what i would recomend i allways tell them to try the camera out on the basis that if your comfortable with the camera in your hands your actually going to use the darn thing more.Trouble is if you havent got the model they like the look of there seems to be nowhere they can do this.Usually they have no brand loyalty as they just want a "good camera" and youre the only person they know with one.......so they go into the nearest jessops thats still open and ask to see a pentax,get told a load of guff and are herded towards the canikons.....

03-26-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
She had askedme what I felt about Canon, and I told her that I never touch the stuff I can't wait until July when I am free to buy big ticket items again.
03-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone tried a Sony DSLR?
Personally, I haven't.
I was just wondering how they are - not thinking of buying at all, just wanted to be aware of what's out there.
I've seen them in the shops, and don't like the look of them at all.
Have they just established themselves on the brand name?

Like has been mentioned in this thread, once you pick up a Pentax, the feel is something else.
She was right to be impressed.
03-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Personally, I haven't.
I was just wondering how they are - not thinking of buying at all, just wanted to be aware of what's out there.

Like has been mentioned in this thread, once you pick up a Pentax, the feel is something else.
She was right to be impressed.
When there was no Pentax I would choose Sony. The camera's has also SR in body (Steady Shot). The hold is good. But only the a700 and a900 are like the k20d with two wheels etc.) Sony has good camera's and they have some advantages above Canon and Nikon.

regards,

Cor

03-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones :
I think I made another Pentaxian today...
Wow that was a close one. I thought he was going to tell us that he impregnated an unsuspecting woman last evening and...
Nevermind.

I had a short conversation with one of my wife's coworkers who was interested in coming back to photography. The next day he sent my wife an email asking her to ask me for advice so naturally me being very loyal to Pentax and somewhat of a soldier to photography (among other things), I sent him some links to check out the latest digital cameras from Pentax. But I was also thoughful enough to suggest that he do his own homework, check out other manufacturers and be sure to hold and feel every camera he was most interested in before buying.
I have yet to be told of any outcome. His price range was $1000 and under so he has plenty of choices.
03-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

How many people here are old enough to recognize the objects in his avatar? I am.

They're adapters used to play 45 rpm records ("singles") on a standard LP record changer. Anyone remember vinyl records?

I don't think I've seen those in about 30 years.
03-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
How many people here are old enough to recognize the objects in his avatar? I am.

They're adapters used to play 45 rpm records ("singles") on a standard LP record changer. Anyone remember vinyl records?

I don't think I've seen those in about 30 years.
Yup. Remember the metal ones? They looked like subway tokens, but had three little ears on the edge. Those plastic ones are probably about the same vintage as my original K1000, bought in '76...
03-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #11

The Canon shooters that I know are always in awe of my DA 35 Limited macro. Most of my friends are gearheads, and there is something magical about a lens machined out of aluminum.

Most of the Canon shooters I know use Rebels, and they don't understand the "extra" features that my K100DSuper has over the Canon, never mind the K20D and its weather sealing (why would you want to shoot in the rain?)
03-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
The saying holds true, just put one in their hands... and they are sold. Kinda made me wanna upgrade.
Good job, Buddha.
I almost had one too but he has to hold off until tax season since he had spent his money on new PC.
It was tough competition because when I talked to my friend, my other friend who shoots w/ Canon 30D start mocking my Pentax.

I don't want to be brand loyalist there but when I told them how much I paid for my gears plus showing that it's all Weather Sealed for under $1500.
The Canon guy just shut his mouth.
03-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Personally, I haven't.
I have tried Sony A350 and shoot some photo with it.
And I hand held A700 as well at store.
All I can say is, A350 feels plastic and doesn't fit well on my grip.
A700 has better grip but still I don't really like the grip.

Compared to my K20D, even to K100D, Pentax wins hands down in material quality and ergonomic. (PS I'm not brand loyalist, the only camera similar to K20D that I like to hold besides Pentax is Oly e520)
03-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #14

Good job Buddha, I'm sure you gave her plenty to think about. I would be curious to know if she went out and handled any of the other brands to see how they feel in her hands.

I still go into camera stores and handle the other brands to see if I'm missing anything by staying with Pentax. Needless to say I haven't seen anything that compares with Pentax.
03-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I made another Pentaxian last week too. My former roommate was looking to buy a DSLR. He was going to buy a D60 kit at Costco with two lenses for $700. I spent a while on instant messenger explaining to him that that any of the Pentax offerings were better - he would miss the in-body SR with his next lens, he would have to buy proprietary batteries,.

He started looking at a few Pentax offerings online. He immediately fell in love with the white version of the K2000 . He said it really stood out. His dual lens kit is on its way.