Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I think this line in the review at dpreview sums it up:
DPreview is not my cup of tea, otherwise I won't frequent this forum

Honestly, their K10D preview is very flawed. Phil's review consists of pixel analyzing. That's OK as long as you also remember how a photograph is supposed to be viewed....... Phil don't. As for the details, I don't want to drag on as it has been discussed to death before.

QuoteQuote:
The camera contains a computer which runs, essentially, RAW-to-JPEG conversion software. The distinction between whether you do this conversion in the camera or sitting at a desktop is essentially a small one.
Not really. The camera cannot run your own software; and Pentax does not know your own preference. Pentax's desgin philosophy is to give you the best source image to work with, so that you select your choice of photo editors, raw conversion, sharpening techniques, noise reduction plugin.... etc. Once the image is over sharpened, there is no turning back, the damage is done. On the other hand, K10D's JPEG output is very post-processing friendly; and it gives you the chance to process it exactly how you want it.

04-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've convinced myself that waiting till this fall to make my dSLR purchase makes the most sense
Your first sentence troubles me. For years I've heard people say, "I'm going to wait for the new model [computer/camera/TV]" before purchasing. Meanwhile I'm enjoying while they are waiting.

My wife and I avoid anything with unusual batteries. She has a Panasonic Lumix with 12x stabilized Lieca lens and got burnt when she forgot to carry her spare battery. That camera sits in a drawer collecting dust now that she has a Fuji S5200 with conventional AA cells. With our Pentax DSLRs if we get stuck we can buy a emergency batteries anywhere. Not that I've ever got stuck so far, I always leave with a fully charged set of NiMH cells and usually a spare set.

Battery choice is a personal subject, I swap in a charged set before putting the camera away for the night. Some people prefer to go weeks without removing batteries. Perhaps they don't sleep?
04-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Matt... I for one hope that whatever they offer they do NOT drop the K110D concept. Not all of us want SR. Frankly its just one more thing to break, and anything that moves my image plane around is suspect in my view. I also like the AA batteries for the same reason many others have mentioned.

and

Finn & Asad... your comments about the digital MX are spot on... one reason I am seeking a decently priced istDS right now.
04-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
This whole thread is a false premise. Without actually even owning any equipment, all you're doing is a write up based on wanting *more* already.
No one's making you read it, let alone reply.

QuoteQuote:
This is, unfortunately, a throw-away age. There will always be more, and just around the corner. You have to make a decision at some point. When these new "improved" cameras come out (that will, sad to say, be no better at *actually* taking photographs than cameras today), all I can see is another thread saying.. "well, maybe if I wait for the .."
While this is generally true, this is a major investment for me, and although I don't own either a K10D or a K100D, I've used them for a bit and I know what I want. I'd be perfectly happy with either right now if someone gave them to me, but since a) I'm going to spend my own money, b) there's some things I really find to be sore spots, and c) Pentax has said there will be new models this year, it makes sense to wait for that.

QuoteQuote:
There will always be more, and there will always be "better". I'm just confused as to what you want to be.. a photographer, or an equipment junkie.
I suspect you're not actually confused, but rather just throwing this in here in order to get in a personal attack because, hey, it's the internet and you're using a false name so who cares. Or maybe you really do confuse easily.

04-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

For the K100D upgrade ......

- Faster. Faster everything, the thing is a SLUG. Faster AF, faster write speeds, faster to flip between images ... eveything .. the lack of speed frankly has me looking at D80's in the store.

- Buffer. It needs a buffer, any sort of buffer .... please give us a useful buffer.

- Accurate WB presets. Auto is SILLY (morons asking for perfect auto WB) but pre-sets that are not 1,000 degrees to warm would be good. So would more than 1 custom WB memory.

- Switch the flash WB when the flash is popped (DUH!!)

- More buttons, less menu digging

- Grid on the viewfinder

- Lighter, size is OK but she's heavy

- LiION battery. I like the idea of AA batteries but in practice they are a pain in the butt and heavy to cart about.

- 6MP is just fine by me

- Did I mention speed? If the new model is not faster to write to the card (a raw file takes an AGE to write) then I have no choice but to jump ship.

I do not want to bulk of a K10D style camera, a small, fast feature rich camera is what I am after.
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Your first sentence troubles me. For years I've heard people say, "I'm going to wait for the new model [computer/camera/TV]" before purchasing. Meanwhile I'm enjoying while they are waiting.
Well, it's kindly of you to be concerned. Perhaps this will make you feel better:

I've bought a new digital camera approximately every four years since 1996. In each case, I've looked at what I already have, considered where I feel I'm missing something that would make me happier taking pictures, and waited for that to come along. Or in the case of the first one (a Casio QV-10A, which Casio describes as producing images with " 320x200 dots"), until it fell apart. Anyway, if I can't find something that makes me happy, I wait.

Right now, I have a perfectly good Olympus C-5060 -- not an SLR, but a great "bridge" camera. It's showing some age in terms of what one could buy now, but is still very capable. (Especially with a tilt/swivel flash.) So it's not like I can't take pictures right now.

If I could afford to buy a new gadget every year or two, I'd totally throw out what I have and get something new right away. But I've got other priorities right now, so instead, I'm going to be patient. Well, patient give-or-take some forum posting.
04-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Delgado Quote
DP Review missed the point because they had not taken the time to learn how to use the K10D correctly. Another reviwer who did take the time found that by using the bright setting for jpeg and playing with the contrast and sharpness controls, the Pentax jpegs were much closer to its RAW output. DP Review's rating appears to be based on jpeg quality "out of the box", which seems a little naive to me.
I probably shouldn't have mentioned dpreview because I know it's touchy around here (and for good reason). However, the above paragraph simply isn't true. In fact, they explore these settings more than most reviews. (They remark positively on the options for contrast and saturation adjustment, by the way.)

QuoteQuote:
Keep in mind that DP Review also decided the K10D was only "just" highly recommended despite scoring higher than the Canon 400D and Nikon D40 (both of which were "highly recommended" by DP Review without a murmer).
Those cameras are cheaper. The final "recommendations" are relative to both price point and time -- but yes, clearly highly subjective. Notice that the K100D gets even lower numeric scores but is still "highly recommended".

Anyway, this clearly isn't the biggest of deals, as the K10D is clearly capable of producing great images even in jpeg capture. However, since it also clearly could be improved, and since a large number of reviews give negative comments about this specific point, I think it is likely a change we will see in the next model. Which, if you remember, was supposed to be the point of the rampant speculation thread.
04-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #23

you have to remember, the 100 and 110 are consumer level cameras, they wont ditch the flash, nor will they make the kit lens a prime. People who buy the camera just to have a fancy camera (a large portion actually) and never leave Auto mode wont go for a camera with no flash and no zoom. Pentax wont cripple their sales by removing those things.

And DPreview is a joke if you like accurate information. (notice, DPr does just find giving you that stats on a camera, just not the real info as seen with the K10D).

04-10-2007, 05:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xfloggingkylex Quote
you have to remember, the 100 and 110 are consumer level cameras, they wont ditch the flash, nor will they make the kit lens a prime. People who buy the camera just to have a fancy camera (a large portion actually) and never leave Auto mode wont go for a camera with no flash and no zoom. Pentax wont cripple their sales by removing those things.
It'll be interesting to see how the Sigma DP1 does in the market.
04-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Next Pentax APS-C DSLR

Will probably be a 10MP K100D derivative to compete with the D40X, Alpha 100 and 400D.

It will probably have a simplified version of the K10D image processor and faster RAM to give contiious JPEG's (almost mandatory these days) and more continious Raw.

Almost certain to have a lithium battery to provide the higher volts needed for the 10MP system. Probably sticking with the NP-400 design.

May have SDM contacts (?? - pricing and K10D differential)

Prices will be competive with the others above.

They may continue with the K100D/110D (6MP) as is, at a fuurther price reduction, or introduce some of the above features, but I feel that the 6MP sensor production will be phased out in the near future.

Anything less, or different, would be commercial suicide. They are already having practice runs at Hara-kari in the boardroom, they don't need to put it into action with daft product options!
04-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #26

With batteries, it's an engineering reason. I'm not making this up based on my own wishes -- read it from Pentax engineers.
That makes it even more amazing that they actually managed to put together well-working modern DSLR which can use AA-s. And to undo that feat in next revision? That'd probably mean instant cult status for K100D and K110D. I hope they'll give us tweaked K100D instead of totally new product.
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aabram Quote
That makes it even more amazing that they actually managed to put together well-working modern DSLR which can use AA-s. And to undo that feat in next revision? That'd probably mean instant cult status for K100D and K110D. I hope they'll give us tweaked K100D instead of totally new product.
I think one possibility is a tweaked K110D and a more-changed K100D at a price point more between that and the new K10D update, which will probably at least initially be a few hundred dollars more expensive.

But, y'know, rampant speculation.