Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
batteries for DS

The AA batteries finally started dying on me with my DS today. I was in a darker setting of a glass factory and was trying to take pictures in various modes.

Only the Program Mode was working. I couldn't adjust aperture or shutter myself. Got a couple good shots, but was annoyed because the indicator went from full to half without warning.

So... fellow DS -ers. What battery do you use? The packs you can buy? Rechargable AA? ing Regular AA? Brands?

04-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use CRV3's. The "regular" ones not the rechargeables. I'm not partial to any brand, I buy what's on sale. For istance, last summer Walgreen's had them on sale for something like $3.00/ea. As soon as I heard I rushed over to my local store only to find that there were only 4 left. Woe! But I bought them and got my usual 800-1000 shots out of each pair. I might get better bang for the buck with either CRV3 rechargeables or regular rechargeables, but I like the simplicity of my system. I always carry two sets of spares in my bag. Like I said, I get between 800 and 1000 shots on a set, depending on shooting conditions, so I'm happy. The only down side is that the little battery icon on the top led doesn't work very well. When it says 1/2 it means less than 15-20 shots at the most. But other than that minor quibble I like CRV3's.

NaCl(simple, and they last a long while)H2O
04-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have 2 sets of Energizer NiMh rechargeables.
Keep a fully charged set in the bag, and the set in the camera. If the bag has been sitting unused for a period of time, I'll through the backup set in the charger to top them up before going out.

I just had to replace both sets, tho. They got to a point where they would not hold their charge for more than a day or two. The first set lasted me 2 years, so I'm not complaining.
04-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought four rechargeable Energizer AA's (2500maH) w/ a charger for $20 that I use. Also have a new set of Energizer Lithiums for emergency. But I can easily last a full day of shooting on a fully charged set of the rechargeables.

Last edited by Toshi; 04-09-2007 at 06:35 PM.
04-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I think Roy and I have been through this before. Rayovac Hybrid 2100mah these are rechargeables that are ready to go off the shelf from Walmart for $8.95 usd for a set of 4 both Roy and I have gotten exceptional numbers of shots My first set lasted 1162 shots And that is one great set of batteries. They are the same as Eneloope and last just as long. I have recharged the first set and they are sitting out of the camera and have not lost any charge, where as my old nimh rechargeables would be dead again after being charged and sat for a month unused. I would recommend looking into about 2 sets. You will not be sorry you did
04-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #6

I use mainly CRV3s myself. I'll pick up 4 or so, and those will usually last me a few months these days. (I don't shoot like I used to. heh). I keep a set in my camera bag as well.

When I was shooting 6-700 shots a week, I'd use 2500mAh Energizer rechargeables. Cheaper than CRV3s and I could just rotate a few sets. But when I started to not shoot so often (as it is now, I only shoot maybe 4 or 5 times a month), I had to switch to batteries that would last sitting in the camera unused. The rechargeables would lose their charge, and I'd find myself having to charge them again before I went out.. and sometimes that would mean missing a few shots waiting for the 15-minute charger to finish. So I decided to hell with it, and just went to the CRV3s.

So.. after all that convoluted blah blah.. I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on how much I am shooting in a week, how much money I have, and whatnot
04-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

1 set of Energiser 2500, and 1 set of Sanyo Eneloops. That's all I ever need.
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #8

I did use the energiser's and after 18 months they started to fail to hold the recharge. Now I use Eneloops which I charged once and they are still going.

04-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

as stated
GET THE RAYOVAC HYBRIDS
first set - 860+ shots while being in the camera for over a month. i currently am trying to deplete the set i charged. almost 500 shots and meter is still full.
04-10-2007, 07:42 AM   #10

I've been using Energizer Lithiums in my DS. Get them at Costco. I think there's 20 Batteries in the bulk pack for $20. The last set was good for over 1300 shots, but I don't use the built in flash much.
Marco
04-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

For over 6 years I have used Powerex AA rechargeable batteries, by MAHA. Can only be bought on the internet. Recently graduated from 2500 to 2700 maah and notice a definite improvement in number of pictures they take. Maha costs a bit more bit I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE THAT FAILED!! They always have plenty of juice to take loads of shots. Just look up Maha powerex on the internet. Freddy