Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
Igilligan

I have the same problem, and I am tired of talking about it... It is my own fault I have not sent mine in for adjustment yet.
I have been using my K20d with all my old MF lenses and loving it so much I don't want to loose it for 6-8 weeks... but I will eventually!

Look forward to hearing and seeing what the focus screen does for you. I dont think I need one but if it really helps,
maybe I will get one. Which one did you get and how much? Oh, how easy did you find the install?

04-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Get the focus screen! Love it to bits, took all of 30 seconds to install first shot no real clue what to do :P

Mine was an ebay $20 job, with the tweezers and little rubber condoms for your fingers.
04-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just done some more serious testing, used levels to get everything perfect and aligned exactly correctly. This time my results were slightly different however its pretty much confirmed there is a front focus issue, though its not as bad as i had thought

my FA 1.4 50mm lens requires -7 to be perfect and the focus screen confirms this.

My sigma 24-70mm f2.8 requires -12 id say but at -10 the maximum adjustment it is within acceptable limits. The focus screen does confirm that its never focused perfectly close up. (however its very hard to tell even with 1.2x scope and screen helping me)

Real world both lenses are producing great photos, and for close up marco work where this has any real effect, im in manual mode anyway.

update: interesting the sigma front focus is not consistent over its zoom range.... with the -10 setting in place at 24mm its actually back focused a bit and at 35mm its perfect.

Last edited by WerTicus; 04-01-2009 at 01:09 AM.
04-01-2009, 03:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote

update: interesting the sigma front focus is not consistent over its zoom range.... with the -10 setting in place at 24mm its actually back focused a bit and at 35mm its perfect.
You're not alone there WerTicus. Although the Tamron 28-75 is pretty well-regarded, some have said that it does the same, varying from FF to BF along its zoom range. Mine does that too, but it's not that far off either way, and like you said, in real-world use they work fine. Glad things are working out for you.
Paul

04-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #20

Setting AF adjust for all

First post, so don't shoot me if I screw up. After reading the AF adjustment article several times, I believe your problems are in setting the AF adjustment for all lenses, then trying to set it for you problematic lens. "All" affects just that, ALL. Try turning off "All", and just set AF for your problematic lens. Hope this helps, I don't have numerous AF lenses to test this on.
04-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
apparently one overrides the all setting, however I'm just using the one setting now anyway.
04-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I have the same problem, and I am tired of talking about it... It is my own fault I have not sent mine in for adjustment yet.
I have been using my K20d with all my old MF lenses and loving it so much I don't want to loose it for 6-8 weeks... but I will eventually!
When I sent in my K10D for service, it was only in the service department for three days. Three days to get it shipped, received, and in the work queue, three days for the technician, and five days for it to a hit my door step.
04-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
and did they fix it?

04-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
and did they fix it?
Yes, works very well now, thanks.
04-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ayreking Quote
First post, so don't shoot me if I screw up. After reading the AF adjustment article several times, I believe your problems are in setting the AF adjustment for all lenses, then trying to set it for you problematic lens. "All" affects just that, ALL. Try turning off "All", and just set AF for your problematic lens. Hope this helps, I don't have numerous AF lenses to test this on.
No, "all" only applies to "all that don't have an individual adjustment entered" You can easily confirm this by putting on a lens that has an individual adjustment set, then take three pictures. One with "apply all" at -10, one at 0, one at +10. They will all look the same.
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, I really hate to revive an old thread, but I think I found myself lately being a little disappointed with my K20D's AF and I'm sure it's just because I need to have it calibrated/adjusted by a certified repair center. Anyone who has sent theirs in for this work, can you tell me what you had to do to get this repair initiated and what you had to send in? I'd appreciate it. I'm considering it right now but I haven't really made a decision and the nice weather is rolling in fast.