Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Filter Selection Help /or do we need filters at all?

Hi all.
I was looking into getting adapted and geared for P-series filters for my k100d. I started thinking about what filters are even worth buying, considering the level and ease of post processing these days. I most certainly will buy a circular polarizer, NDs', and maybe an 89b IR. But, is there any use for any of the other filters like graduated or colored? I think that almost anything can be replicated in Photoshop these days. Is there somthing that cant? I am not a complete post processing wizard, yet. So, I would appreciate the thoughts of others on this topic.

Thanks!

Last edited by kafreddy; 04-09-2007 at 11:52 AM.
04-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Outside of a polarizer I don't use filters at all anymore. I prefer to get a good clean image in camera then decide later what effects I may want to apply.

Graduated ND is nice when sky is brighter than your foreground. Color can be decided upon later.
04-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The circular polarizer does something not easily or possibly possible in Photoshop. The graduated ND could be useful. Other than that, i can't get enthused about fileters.

I give this thread only to be "thorough"...

Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page - Forums

If you shoot jpg, then some of the color choices from the in-camera "filters" may prove useful, even for WB correction (I just read that lately :-) The in-camera filters don't work with RAW so I have not used them.