Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Focus problem with K2000

After changing lenses once I noticed dust on my mirror through the viewfinder. When I got home, I blew off the mirror, checked the viewfinder, and realized I had created more dust that got stuck on the other side of the focusing screen. I proceeded to take out the focusing screen (easy), blew it off, and put it back in. Long story short I did that a few times and being the noob I am, all though probably more comfortable working on small parts then I should be, I ended up scratching the focusing screen. So I have a new one on order coming in monday.

THE PROBLEM is, I am now noticing that while AF focuses perfectly, manual focus is slightly off which is obviously pretty darn annoying. Can this be caused by a damaged focusing screen? that seems unlikely to me but not out of the question. The latch that holds it in seems fine. And lastly could if be the mirror slightly out of alignment? Again AF could not be better.

And I dont need to be told not to touch anything in there with anything. I've learned that lesson :P

03-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by millertime Quote
When I got home, I blew off the mirror, checked the viewfinder, and realized I had created more dust that got stuck on the other side of the focusing screen.
FWIW, I rub down the exterior of the camera with an anti-static dryer sheet (particularly the lens mount), as well as the rocket blower, in order to reduce the static charge before cleaning. It seems to help quite a bit - static acts like a magnet for dust particles...
03-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
good tip thanks. Any ideas on the focusing issue anyone?
03-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Banned

I don't understand your problem here? the focusing screen is not a split-image, just a matte screen. how can manual focus be 'off'? you are focusing the lens. did you bump the diopter adjustment for the viewfinder?

03-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It happened to me before with the ZX-50 film camera.
Thing is, on my camera, the hinge that's holding the latch was coming off very easy, so I had very hard time to put it back.
Why don't you try to put back the old screen, to check the difference?
other causes: you installed wrong the yellow shim (that should be under the screen), or installed the screen with the matte surface on top.
On my camera happened that the latch was not properly closed, so the screen was not sitting right.
Try this link from Katzeye:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install6.pdf
It's not for K2000, but it should not be too different.
Good luck!

Last edited by octavmandru; 03-28-2009 at 05:31 PM.
03-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Have you tried adjusting the diopter?
03-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
...sigh... I forgot all about the diopter....

Thanks guys lol. I was having a hard time believing that screwed up something inside and didnt want to think that scratching the focusing screen could possibly do that, and Im pretty good with small parts/electronics so I wasnt sure how I could have screwed something up. The diopter.....

03-29-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by millertime Quote
...sigh... I forgot all about the diopter....

Thanks guys lol. I was having a hard time believing that screwed up something inside and didnt want to think that scratching the focusing screen could possibly do that, and Im pretty good with small parts/electronics so I wasnt sure how I could have screwed something up. The diopter.....
exactly what I figured. good to know it was a simple fix.
03-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Moved to dSLR section.