Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #1

How to open a K10D

Hello all Pentax enthusiasts,

I am completely new to this forum and can already post a challenging technical question. After bumping with my K10D, I occasionally get a ''Memory Card Error'' message, resulting in complete shutdown of the camera or pictures not being stored. From various sources on the internet I have understood that this may be due to a contact malfunctioning of the SD card reader inside the camera. (The problem occurs with various different SD cards, so is related to the camera and not the SD card). I have sent the camera via a Dutch Pentax dealer to the importer and they have come up with a quote of 593 EUR for a repair of the camera , which is about the price level of a new K20D body over here. Before I decide to buy a new K20D, I would like to check the possibility to repair the camera myself.
The first issue that I have come across is a problem with opening of the camera. I can open the bottom plate of the K10D, but thereafter I ''get stuck''. Does anyone know how to disassemble the back of the camera so I can check the contacts of the SD Card reader?

Arthur

03-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arthurl Quote
Hello all Pentax enthusiasts,

I am completely new to this forum and can already post a challenging technical question. After bumping with my K10D, I occasionally get a ''Memory Card Error'' message, resulting in complete shutdown of the camera or pictures not being stored. From various sources on the internet I have understood that this may be due to a contact malfunctioning of the SD card reader inside the camera. (The problem occurs with various different SD cards, so is related to the camera and not the SD card). I have sent the camera via a Dutch Pentax dealer to the importer and they have come up with a quote of 593 EUR for a repair of the camera , which is about the price level of a new K20D body over here. Before I decide to buy a new K20D, I would like to check the possibility to repair the camera myself.
The first issue that I have come across is a problem with opening of the camera. I can open the bottom plate of the K10D, but thereafter I ''get stuck''. Does anyone know how to disassemble the back of the camera so I can check the contacts of the SD Card reader?

Arthur
Please "STOP" put it back together and send it to Pentax. It could be a very simple problem easily repaired.
03-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I wouldn't dare to open a digital camera. But I would put some light eraseable magic marker on the contacts of the SD card and put the card in the camera. Then pull the card out and take a look at the contacts on the SD card to see if they are all making good contact. Then experiment pushing the card not exactly from the center but rather pushing it from off center to see it improves the contacts. Just an idea to try without taking the camera apart.

Good luck.
03-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Please listen to this advice. It's damn good advice.

Regards,
Mike

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Please "STOP" put it back together and send it to Pentax. It could be a very simple problem easily repaired.

03-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

PS..That price is ludicrous. Do you speak French? If so I can send you to the Technical Director at Pentax France. There is no way that it would cost the amount you quoted. If you wish to speak with him, I will send you his direct number at Pentax, France. I also suggest that you bypass the dealer and call Pentax, Netherlands directly. Tell them you are a pro and ask them what kind of pricing you might anticipate.
04-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello Arthur,

been there, done that, look here (dutch forum post, but the pictures can be understood without text) and buy a new camera.

George
04-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #7

it happend with my k10d once and with the k100d of a friend once, too. Both times with cards never used on the cameras. one card was new.

I put in another card of mine wich worked, took a shot, took it out again and put in the "faulty" card again. Now error message wasn't displayed anymore. Formatted the card and started taking pictures.

don't know if it is your case though.

04-02-2009, 04:20 AM   #8
Closed Account

George, I understand from the pictures that the SMD connector came loose from the circuit board that has the SD card socket. Did you manage to pry the connector out of its socket and solder it tback onto the board?

We repair notebook computers and other equipment in my business (in Toronto, Canada) and regularly run into similar situations (connectors coming loose). Most of the time we are successful in resoldering them, avoiding to buy a new or exchange circuit board assembly.

Frank
04-02-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Is a very big chance you will end with one broken camera. Go to a pro. A good one
04-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fkaufman Quote
George, I understand from the pictures that the SMD connector came loose from the circuit board that has the SD card socket. Did you manage to pry the connector out of its socket and solder it tback onto the board?
Frank,
I did not even try to repair this. the SMD connector ripped from the camera main PCB took also some solderpads and wiring from the main PCB.

This shows the SDcard PCB with the 2 connectors :

This the main PCB :

If you look closely at the place where the connector should be, you see via's below the connector.
Repairing this is beyond my capabilities. If I had the electronic diagrams, and knew where these SD connector wires filnally end, I could make new wires, but now I use this camera with remote assistant.

This SDCARD failure after a 'bump' is a known problem with the K10D.
This is caused by the SD card print being mounted on the battery assembly, which is heavy when a battery is inserted.
A bump will flex the camera/battery housing, and such a PCB connector cannot cope with force. Pentax shoud have used a flex foil connection to the SDcard print.

George