Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
RAW Files

I currently own a ist DS. Have been using jpeg images for a long time. I am using PhotoShop Elements 5. Can I create raw files in the camera and open them in Elements 5 without additional plug ins ?
Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks... Charles1

03-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The short answer is yes, you can. I used PS Elements 5 for about a year or so then upgraded to Elements 7. I use the Organizer to organize and view images. You can view RAW files in the Organizer. Then right click on the thumbnail of an image to open the Editor. It opens the image in Adobe Camera RAW. You can make adjustments there, such as white balance, exposure, sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc. Then when you are done with the RAW, you can click on one of two buttons. If you click the "Done" button, it will close Adobe Camera RAW and save the results in the Organizer. Next time you open the image in the Organizer you will see it with the adjustments applied to the image. The other option is clicking on the "Open Image" button. It will then open the image in the Editor. You can make further adjustments if needed, such as applying distortion filters, using brushes, etc. Then you can save it in any format you like, such as JPG.

You can also download the latest revision of Adobe Camera RAW, which is a file by this name "Camera Raw.8bi" . Replace the existing file in your computer with the new file. It is usually located at this location on the hard disk:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

Last edited by Stratario; 03-28-2009 at 08:24 PM.
03-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
Raw Files

Thanks for the info. Can I also just open the image under file "open " and then chose the file type (raw) ?
Thanks...Charles1
03-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes you can open RAW files directly in the editor. I just tried it to make sure.