Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
Sandisk here as well.

If you have problems with a card, try plugging it in and unplugging it a couple of times. The contacts can become oxidised and this might help.
Me to after lots of trying other cards! I had two GX10 (same as K10D) bodies. The first GX10 did not like SDHC cards and only Sandisk SDHC cards fit without sticking, the second body had no problems with it sticking. However I did try a lot of cards to see which was faster, even if rated for a faster speed than a Sandisk it really and truly beat them (in PC read/write tests). By that I mean a class 4 Sandisk SDHC ultra II card is a very fast and reliable card. Now with my K20D I take no chances and have invested in all Sandisk SDHC cards and have never ever had a SD card problem or failure .

Of course this is not saying a whole lot but like the above poster this is my experience with them, Sandisk was of higher quality and faster than ADATA, Kingston, Lexar, HP, and a Panasonic card that was suppose to be very fast... Na just give me my Sandisk Ultra ## and I am good. I have a class 6 SDHC card that is suppose to be by its ratings much faster than my Sandisk, its slow, very slow to the point of making my K20D take 4 times or more longer to flush its buffer, point, ignore ratings I have found them to be misleading at the least.

07-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Avoid Kingston 16GB for Pentax K20D!!!
Unfortunately, the new firmware didn't help!
08-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
As a said recently else ware on this forum.

I've only ever used Sandisk Extremes and never had even a hint of a problem, tales like just remind me to carry on the way I have been.

I forgot to mention, I also renew my cards on a regular rolling basis, so I don't really have any old cards, maybe this helps keep things right, I don't know.

I use only 4GB and 8GB Extremes (mainly the later nowadays) which I swap out of the camera when shooting allows, not necessarily when the cards full, so if the worst happens not all is lost.

I just want trouble free image capture and that's what I get from Sandisk. It may well be the same for other brands too, but as I said earlier I've only ever used Sandisk Extremes, and for me they work and that's a reason not to change.
11-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #19

It's not just the cards - I have a bunch of different cards: Sandisk Ultra II 1GB, Kingston Elite Pro (1/2GB), various Sandisk Extreme III 2GB, 4GB, Corsair 1GB.

My Kx sometimes gives "memory card error" with these cards, all of which work fine in my K20D, istDS and Macbook Pro.

The Kx refuses to format the offending cards (attempting to do so renders them unreadable to the Macbook, until I reformat them there). Reset doesn't help. In some cases the problem just goes away.

I've looked at the contacts, but they appear to be ok.

Because the problem is intermittent, I dont want to send my camera away for repair (though I should do so to sort out the poor AF adjustment).

Therefore the advice that "it must be your crappy card" is not true in all circumstances.