Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #1

K20D - memory card problem

Hi There!

A few days ago I bought a K20D. The shop gave me a voigtländer 4GB class6 memorycard with the camera.

I formatted the new card with the camera and the first few shots were great.

Then I got a "memory card error". Formatted the card again. Took a few pictures. Then the same error...

This error is reproduceable if I take 3-4 shots in a row. If i try to format the card with the camera: bam! "memory card error" again.

Probably only a SD card problem. But what a bad luck. New Camera, new SD card and a few shots later encountering the first disappointing problems...

Does anyone have the same problem?

03-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
tell them to give you a sandisk card instead of crappo $5 SD cards that give them a bad reputation ;-)
03-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #3

Sounds like a crappy SD card. I'd try a card from a major manufacturer (sandisk, Lexar).
03-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #4

I happened to try a new memory card when I first got my K20D and had the same issue.. It was the card.

03-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #5

Unfortunately, that is the chance you take on cheap cards.

I have several cheapies and they work fine. However, I did go through 4x 2Gb cards which were useless.

Dal
03-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had the same problem (still do actually). Bought 3 16GB Patriot Class6 SDHC cards before a trip to Africa and had a number of frustrating moments when the camera suddenly refused to shoot and gave me either a "memory card error" or "card is full" message. Truning the camera off and on again would allow me to continue but I did miss a few key shots. Interestingly another 16GB Patriot card I bought a year ago has worked flawlessly in my K10D since I bought it (hence the reason I bought 3 more). I believe that the K20D create files that are just big enough to be at the limit of these cards hence no issues with the smaller K10 files.

I sent the cards back to Patriot and they were replaced but I have had the same error once on the first card I tried.

In the case of the K20 I would agree with previous posters that buying higher quality cards is worth it.
03-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
seems to be good

Hi There!

Thanks a lot for your fast and good replies!

Now i have got a sandisk ultra II 4GB card. No Problems since.

Just another idea: When i look at the golden contacts of the card i hardly see any sign of contact to the connectors in the camera. usually there are little scars from the connectors on the golden contacts. Probably this is another reason for memory card errors some of the other forum users have....

Would be nice if you check your cards and post short reply :-)

Thanks a lot

03-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crazymarc Quote
Just another idea: When i look at the golden contacts of the card i hardly see any sign of contact to the connectors in the camera. usually there are little scars from the connectors on the golden contacts. Probably this is another reason for memory card errors some of the other forum users have....

Would be nice if you check your cards and post short reply :-)
My Sandisks Extreme 8 GB cards do not show any wear on the contacts, despite I am moving them near constantly between camera and card reader. My older Extreme 2 GB cards show just slight signs of wear. I cannot compare that to cheaper cards, as I have been using Sandisks Ultras and Extremes for the last three years exclusively

In my own experience all memory card problems I had in the past were due to poor card quality. Since I dumped cheap cards, these three years ago, I have not had a single problem. I mean, even Sandisks Extreme are cheap, when you compare it to the cost of film/development and printing, of a similar number of shots of just one useage cycle... There is really no economic sense in using cheap cards.

Ben
03-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #9

I remember this when I first purchased my K20D. I also recall taking that pos ADATA card and tossing it into a brick wall as well. Once I purchased a Transcend 8GB SDHC, then two 8GB Sandisk Extreme SDHC cards, I have not had a problem! It only takes once to learn your lesson on cheapo cards.
12-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by K100Dave Quote
I remember this when I first purchased my K20D. I also recall taking that pos ADATA card and tossing it into a brick wall as well. Once I purchased a Transcend 8GB SDHC, then two 8GB Sandisk Extreme SDHC cards, I have not had a problem! It only takes once to learn your lesson on cheapo cards.
I've got a Transcend 8GB class 6 card and I get the errors whenever I try to shoot in RAW format. Is the only option Sandisk cards? I don't mind spending the money for obvious reasons but don't want to waste the time if I will continue to have the same problems.
12-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jephanie Quote
I've got a Transcend 8GB class 6 card and I get the errors whenever I try to shoot in RAW format. Is the only option Sandisk cards? I don't mind spending the money for obvious reasons but don't want to waste the time if I will continue to have the same problems.
I don't know, if Sandisks are the "only option". I can only say from experience, that I never had a single failure with Sandisks, and I use currently 4 x 8GB Extreme 4 x 4GB Extreme and 2 x 2GB Ultras. That's sure not representative, but at least my real world experience.

Ben
12-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I don't know, if Sandisks are the "only option". I can only say from experience, that I never had a single failure with Sandisks, and I use currently 4 x 8GB Extreme 4 x 4GB Extreme and 2 x 2GB Ultras. That's sure not representative, but at least my real world experience.

Ben
I'm with you, I've never had any problems with Sandisk cards. As with most things electronics, there are only a few of factories that actually produces these memory modules. I suspect the lower grade / borderline modules are sold to the lesser companies and the better ones to Sandisk. I found this press release about a Sandisk / Samsung agreement.

SANDISK AND SAMSUNG RENEW PATENT CROSS LICENSE AND FLASH SUPPLY AGREEMENTS
12-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Sandisk here as well.

If you have problems with a card, try plugging it in and unplugging it a couple of times. The contacts can become oxidised and this might help.
12-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used cards from several different mfgs (Sandisk, Patriot, Kingston to name a few) and only ever had one go bad - it was a Kingston. Sent it back under warrantee - the replacement has been fine.

Had one card that my computer couldn't/wouldn't read (camera would) - cleaned the contacts on the card with a pencil eraser - no problems since.

Got one REALLY cheap card (4GB SD card- NOT SDHC) - strange thing is that none of my cameras (ist DS, K200D & K10D) can use it, but it works great in all my PC's (I actually use it to transfer data from one system to another).

I think the bottom line is to use quality cards from reputable dealers - stay away from the on-line sellers!!
07-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
Forum Member

I had several problems with no name sd cards 16GB (ebay cheap solutions) and also with a 16GB Kingston.
Ok the cards didn't have the best quality.

But why Pentax K10D is perfect and Pentax K20D has so many memory problems?

Recently, there was a firmware about memory problems. I had the problem with Kingston after the updating so maybe the Pentax K20D has a serious problem in general.

So, except for this, which is the best memory, class and size in your opinion?

Last edited by teogin; 07-31-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: wrong word...