Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
That gives me hope for the K30D
of course (owning a k-m myself) this means nothing to me, as I use manual lenses.

03-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
Ah ha! Works with the K20D. No wonder I couldn't find it in my K10D's menus ;-)
Trap focus will work on your K10D as well. Set to AF-S and have a manual lens on your camera or a lens with an AF on/off switch. The K20D allows you to do it with any lens.
03-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Trap focus will work on your K10D as well. Set to AF-S and have a manual lens on your camera or a lens with an AF on/off switch. The K20D allows you to do it with any lens.
Right. I can do it with my manual 50 1.7 but my kit lens and the 35mm 2.8 Macro Limited I've been testing don't have focus switches. The DA* lenses do as well as the Sigmas I used to own. Somehow the upgrade to a K20D is starting to seem like a more interesting option...
03-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
If it was me and I wasn't happy with my camera I would swap makes, simple as that.
But not everyone can afford to do that after buying a camera already.

03-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
But not everyone can afford to do that after buying a camera already.
Which is why I chose (and love) Pentax in the first place!
03-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I don't read blogs when the author is quite capable of posting here but if you are just going to say the Canon is faster than Pentax then obviously you don't read the forums that often because its old (and repetative) news.
Agreed to certain extent - K10D/K20D's AF is slow is not anything new to us.

Anyway, I appreciate OP's post and his intention for sharing.

But for what he posts in his blog post, I think comparing the K10D to a 1DMkIII simply doesn't make sense. In fact, the K10D is much slower than the 450D and so does the K20D, which is now priced similar to the 450D, but yet much slower in AF, especially when light level comes down a bit.

The latest K-m has improvement, but it is not really fast for its AF - normal for an entry level model.
03-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
...I think comparing the K10D to a 1DMkIII simply doesn't make sense.
To be clear, I wasn't making a direct comparison between the 1DMkIII and a K10D (or K20D as it was). The direct comparison was made between a K10D and an entry-level Canon 350D. The K10/20D is certainly no entry-level camera.

If what others are saying about the improved focus performance of Pentax's newest entry-level model (Km/K2000) then I can only assume Pentax will make similar (or better) improvements to the K20D replacement.
03-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

the AF speed on the k20D is no slouch...It's pretty aggressive in adequate light. when it gets dim, thats when it starts to have problems.
k20 locks in just as quickly as my nikon..in nice bright outside light, and just slightly slower indoors...

not going by what i've read on reveiws or what not, just personal experience from having both a nikon and a pentax....(I know..it sez Canon..AF..in the OP's subject)

03-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #24
Lens Buying Addict

The question, though, is how many of those fast Canon focuses were actually focused - and how many were misses covered up by small aperture.

The Pentax double check system has a purpose - accuracy, just as the lower noise reduction has a purpose - detail.

If one wants to use a camera for fast action with lower detail, one should have another camera. If one wants a Pentax for focus accuracy, one should accept the conditions that allow focus accuracy. Same goes for noise reduction versus detail.

Magazine and on-line reviewers don't want to explain WHY Pentax chooses to build their cameras this way. They just frame the question so their principal benefactors win.

I fear we might get what we keep wishing for - then we won't have Pentax, we'll just have another kind of Canon.
03-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Canon and Nikon do have faster AF, no doubts there. The issue with Canon is Front or Back focusing issues. I had no problems with my previous K200D or K100D Super in this regard with any lens I used. Accuracy over speed is what I prefer.
03-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
yes the AF performance of the K20, K200, and K2000 (k-m) is faster than the K10. the K-m being the fastest of the bunch.
Yeah the AF is faster on those models, especially the KM.
A good sign of things to come, I'm hoping.
03-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Quite funny really.

I was covering a Climbing/Bouldering contest yesterday - extreme bad lighting.

Let's say Iso 1600 1/40 at f3.5 bad at 18mm.

Two other photogs were covering also (big interschool event) one with a Canon 450d & other Nikon D90.

They continually kept on coming up to me (as I was the only one getting shots off) and saying "How is my camera focusing?" as they were struggling to get "locked" on focus and eventually they gave up.

This is a very fast moving kind of contest in very very bad light where a bit of onboard flash is needed - yet these cams failed to impress their owners (considering they were the official photogs)

This is not the first time I have experienced having seen results from Canon 350/450d Nikon D80 on previous occasions.

And all I have is a K10D

Cheers

Dylan
03-30-2009, 05:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The question, though, is how many of those fast Canon focuses were actually focused - and how many were misses covered up by small aperture.

The Pentax double check system has a purpose - accuracy, just as the lower noise reduction has a purpose - detail.

If one wants to use a camera for fast action with lower detail, one should have another camera. If one wants a Pentax for focus accuracy, one should accept the conditions that allow focus accuracy. Same goes for noise reduction versus detail.

Magazine and on-line reviewers don't want to explain WHY Pentax chooses to build their cameras this way. They just frame the question so their principal benefactors win.

I fear we might get what we keep wishing for - then we won't have Pentax, we'll just have another kind of Canon.
Oh hell, I tried to stay out of this discussion, but now I have to step in.

I keep seeing this "Pentax has better accuracy" thing bandied about, but having owned two Pentax bodies and 4 Canon bodies I can say this: it really does not matter if they do. Canon's AF approach is to get it "close enough", which on paper definitely looks worse, but in the real world works just fine. My Canon shots show proper, sharp focus when viewed at 100%. And they get there a hell of a lot faster than the Pentax bodies.

So far I've seen the Pentax AF discussions devolve into

1) You should just manual focus like a REAL photographer

2) Pentax is more accurate

3) The head-in-the-sand approach, Pentax is as good as everything else

Honestly, having used GX-1S, K20D, two 10D bodies, a 300D and a 1Ds Mark II, I can say from EXPERIENCE (rather than reading reviews) that Canon's AF smokes the Pentax one in every way possible. The accuracy thing is a complete and utter non-issue for any shooting I've done.
03-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Oh hell, I tried to stay out of this discussion, but now I have to step in.

I keep seeing this "Pentax has better accuracy" thing bandied about, but having owned two Pentax bodies and 4 Canon bodies I can say this: it really does not matter if they do. Canon's AF approach is to get it "close enough", which on paper definitely looks worse, but in the real world works just fine. My Canon shots show proper, sharp focus when viewed at 100%. And they get there a hell of a lot faster than the Pentax bodies.

So far I've seen the Pentax AF discussions devolve into

1) You should just manual focus like a REAL photographer

2) Pentax is more accurate

3) The head-in-the-sand approach, Pentax is as good as everything else

Honestly, having used GX-1S, K20D, two 10D bodies, a 300D and a 1Ds Mark II, I can say from EXPERIENCE (rather than reading reviews) that Canon's AF smokes the Pentax one in every way possible. The accuracy thing is a complete and utter non-issue for any shooting I've done.
Hey I believe you - honestly

But yet having shot alongside "superior" (excluding Nikon D300/Canon 1Ds) Nikon & Canon camera's many times in the conditions mentioned above - I have come home with the bacon more times than them - yes and it does pee them off for sure.

I know, I know - they must surely be doing something wrong.

Anyway that's my real life experience AND having used a C 450D, 40D & Nikon D80 I would not trade my Pentax - period.

For me it my photography is more than just focus speed - I just prefer the ouput I get from the Pentax.

Regards

Dylan

D
03-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

No argument that the Pentax output is great -- in fact, they are great cameras in most aspects.

You are probably right that they ARE doing something wrong. One thing I see a lot of new DSLR users do is expect the AF system to focus on very low contrast areas. Doesn't matter how good the system is; if your focusing point is covering an even colored low texture surface it'll have a hell of a time locking. Most experienced shooters will make sure the AF has some contrast to grab on to and that makes a world of difference. Even my 1Ds2 doesn't like to focus on a blank wall head on.