Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh yeah, I know some people need better auto-focus. The post above was just in fun. My advice is to buy the camera that suits your needs. Me, I want the best possible image at a price I can afford. So I have a Pentax.

That's not brand loyalty. It's simply smart.

04-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daleroy Quote
I'm changing systems because Pentax AF isn't good enough for me. Whilst many members on here jump up and down if you so much as say a bad thing about Pentax, it's AF is quite frankly not up to scratch compared to Canon and Nikon. All suggestions of Manual Focus/Catch in focus etc are simple realising that the AF isn't good enough. For anyone who thinks it nail perfect focus and the other systems don't, that too isn't true. A Canon 40D will acquire focus faster and have just the same amount of in focus shots as a K20D (personal experience).

Of course, if AF speed isn't the only thing to look at in a camera system, but for me, it's a limiting and annoying factor. I've got no doubt my Nikon D700 will sort this annoying issue for me out. On the negative, lens are way more expensive, but the 24-70 and 70-200 combo is drool worthy.

A camera is a tool, if a particular brand doesn't fit your needs, switch. I don't really understand brand loyalty.
To compare a Nikon D700 to a Pentax with re: auto focus speed is ludicrous.

I WOULD expect a camera body that costs as much as a small car to perform a QUANTUM leap better than a Pentax.

But gee why only the D700?

Man step up - bust the wallet and get the D3X or Canon 1dsMk11 - they are more expensive and thus should be even better than the Nikon D700. and much better photos.

Cheers

Dylan
04-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

I WOULD expect a camera body that costs as much as a small car to perform a QUANTUM leap better than a Pentax.

Man step up - bust the wallet and get the D3X or Canon 1dsMk11 - they are more expensive and thus should be even better than the Nikon D700. and much better photos.

Cheers

Dylan
D700 is essentially the same as a D3 in a D300 body....(same AF engine...)
D3x is a slower D3 w/ twice the Mega pixels...(FPS wise)

Having a D700..the big kicker for me really is it's low light performance...
as far as shooting outdoors or in a well lit environment...i still reach for the k20 as much as the d700

I still like the look and feel I get from the K20...a tad more so than the D700...
04-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #79
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

Cheers

Dylan
If you actually read the whole post and not just found a bit to pick out, you'd realise that I actually compared it to a Canon 40D, which is in the same bracket as the K20D IMO.

As for your comment about spending lots of money; Why do Pentax owners* in general seem to hate it when someone goes to a different brand. They seem to think that spending more on a better camera is stupid, because Pentax cameras should provide everything EVERY photographer needs. Just because Pentax lens and bodies are cheaper, it doesn't mean they're the best. I can acknowledge that the Pentax system is very good, but it doesn't offer what I want, which is clean high ISO and fast AF. Just because these bits don't bother you, doesn't mean they don't bother me.

If I have the money to spend on a better camera system and I want to do it, I will. The fact is, the D700 IS a lot better than the K20D. Yes, it costs more, but that's the price you pay for performance. Pentax is just another brand, it's not a religion.

*Stereotyping here, but it's the general theme I get when reading lots of posts on here and DPReview.

04-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Actually the responses come only when the person'crows" in this forum how much better his N****n D700/D3 or C****n 1DSMK11 etc etc is than the Pentax - when heard all the time it simply gets boring

Most of will readily admit the D700 or similar is a fantastic camera re: high iso, focus speed etc and if you have the dosh to spend why not - I have no problem.

I am just a basic amateur photog - so have no need for such elaborate gear not to say that I don't spend thousands on other "toys' ;-)

Peace

Dylan