Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help: manual apertures won't adjust

Sorry for clipped sentences, on vacation, typing on mobile.

Everything had been working fine. The camera case got water leaked on it. Primarily on two older manual lenses but the k100d got a little as well.

Distressed. I cleaned and dried as well as I could. The DA kit lens was dry, and shortly I tried it out. Perfect function.

OK, good news. Later I tried an "M" lens (dry one) and noticed the aperture was stuck wide open. Nothing I could do would loosen it. I could have the lens on f22 and as soon as I twist it to mount, the aperture is forced wide open. It's like the mount is too tight for the older lenses. Tried multiple lenses, same result. DA works. M does not.

Ideas? I reset all custom functions and have removed batteries for the evening hoping to wipe any strange setting.

03-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you remember to set "Use Aperature Ring" to "Permitted"? The default is "Not Permitted"...
03-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes. I even set it back to see what would happen. No pictures. Set to permitted, still wide open.
03-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Reinstalled batteries and all seems to be working again. Odd. Lucky.

03-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is odd, but water can cause some strange problems. Hope it continues to work for the balance of your vacation!
03-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Assume you already have set "Use Aperture Ring" to "Permitted."

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
I could have the lens on f22 and as soon as I twist it to mount, the aperture is forced wide open.
This is normal. The lens stays open until just before the actual exposure, the lens closes down to the set aperture, the shutter opens then closes, and then the lens open up again.

Also, what mode is the camera body at? If it is any mode other than "M," the PK lens will remain at full aperture, no matter what the aperture ring is set at.

So, please try it again:

- Verify that "Use Aperture Ring" is set to "Permitted."

- Set the camera to "M" mode.

- Set the aperture ring on the lens.

- Focus, hit the "Green" button (K10D or K20D, AE-L if the camera does not have a "Green" button), then release the shutter.
03-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tidbit about the aperture opening at the moment of mount. I had noticed that before this issue caused me to look at it.

As mentioned before, all working correctly now.