Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Custom Profiles

I decided that I wanted a custom profile for my K10D, just to see if it would even make that much difference. Went to the chromoholics site and got the PS script, made the adjustment to get it to work with ACR3.7, and got a shot of my Gretag Color Checker.

Difference? Heck yeah!! More punch, more pow. Until now I had to try ACR3.7 and Pentax1.00 to see which one best suited the shot. Now I use the custom profile and it works on all shots so far. Great colors and perfect saturation.

I highly recommend it to those shooting raw and using Adobe, or anything that allows custom profiling to be used. My numbers differed from MSKAD's, especially in the greens, which shows that each camera will need it's own tweaks. Here are my numbers...

Shadow Tint = -2
Red Hue = -11
Red Saturation = +6
Green Hue = +10
Green Saturation = +30
Blue Hue = +13
Blue Saturation = +/- 0

Now if only I could afford the tools to make custom paper profiles. At least my monitor is properly color managed.

04-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ACR Calibration

Recently I was lead to Rags Gardner's ACR Script--it's not faster, but Rags rebuilt Fors' routine with a bit more bullet-proofing and some suggested improvements: start here. Gardner also has an analysis routine that shows square by square statistics. Some digging will also get you Simon Tendemans caslibrator (another Fors derivative). There is also some documantations at CreativePro which is worth reading. In particular you might find some alternative calibration/tweaking necessary for skin.

There is a true profile creation scheme and PS csx add-in at PictoColor, called 'InCamera'.
04-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Any effect on what light it is/was shot under, and how accurate do you have to be with white balancing etc., being colour blind i am mainly after automated approaches to colour management as i cannot always see the colour differences.
04-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I tried Simon's but couldn't get the code to work. I will try the Rags Gardner method.

Cideway, the Fors method that I used couldn't be more automated. You shoot the color checker under any light, use the eye dropper in ACR on the lightest grey patch, use the pen tool (in PS) to set the path to the checker board and let the script do the rest.

Rags' method sounds more involved, but I am willing to give it a try.

04-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In Gardners text, he states that a 'good WB' be performed at the scene. These routines are iterative and involve tear variables--initial guesses. In so far as the camera is capable of determining a good white balance, that variable should be quicker to optimize. The effect may be cumulative: a good WB (on scene) theoretically produces the best color rendition, which in turn lowers the number of iterations required to find an optimum for the other variable.
04-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Might need to dig around a bit at Tendemans site-he recently updated for cs2/cs3; perhaps some links point to older versions.
04-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK, I just did Rags' script. I did a custom white balance against a white sheet of paper (not perfect, I admit), then spot metered off the #22 square (medium gray).

The numbers I ended up with were quite different than with the Fors script. What really concerned me was that when I ran the color checker reader script very few of the checkers were a match, some even very far off. I noticed from the first script (Rags) that the hues were very close to the target goals, but that the saturations were not.

I am rerunning the Fors script and will run the reader script on the results to see the difference.
04-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Looks like I had the right code for Simon's script, so I must have loaded it wrong. It shows as just text. How do I convert it to javascript?

04-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

JavaScript is just plain text.

CS requires a .js postscript/file extension; CS2 requires a .jsx extension. Open folder containing script, menu Tools, item Folder options... In dialog View tab, uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'--OK out. Rename file including extension.
04-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Last time I did that it didn't work. I must have done something wrong because it is running now.

After running the color checker reader script on both the Gardner and Fors results, the Fors provides more accurate color. Running the other one now.
04-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tindemans script gave me perfect gray tones and a few great colors. Fors gave much better skin tones. I may have to set up LR profiles for both.
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Script

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I decided that I wanted a custom profile for my K10D, just to see if it would even make that much difference. Went to the chromoholics site and got the PS script, made the adjustment to get it to work with ACR3.7, and got a shot of my Gretag Color Checker.

Difference? Heck yeah!! More punch, more pow. Until now I had to try ACR3.7 and Pentax1.00 to see which one best suited the shot. Now I use the custom profile and it works on all shots so far. Great colors and perfect saturation.

I highly recommend it to those shooting raw and using Adobe, or anything that allows custom profiling to be used. My numbers differed from MSKAD's, especially in the greens, which shows that each camera will need it's own tweaks. Here are my numbers...

Shadow Tint = -2
Red Hue = -11
Red Saturation = +6
Green Hue = +10
Green Saturation = +30
Blue Hue = +13
Blue Saturation = +/- 0

Now if only I could afford the tools to make custom paper profiles. At least my monitor is properly color managed.
Thanks..I will give it a try. Are you saving it as a Script/Action in ACR or PS?

Thanks
Ben
04-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Custom Profile, this is interesting. I had run into the same situation regarding color and 'pop' of the K10D images. Frustrating to the point that I was going to sell the K10D and go back to my ist D. Thanks for posting this thread. Have to do some research and see what can be done in Corel Graphics.
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I must have done something wrong with Simon's script the first time, this time it ran fine.

The sencond time through the Fors script provides the best color rendition, especially skin tones, according to Gardner's color reader script. Simon's gives the best grayscale. I will create LR presets out of both.
04-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

All the calibration schemes are JavaScript (text files with java extensions: js or jsx). One installs them in the scripts file under the appropriate version of Photoshop. With a capture (RAW) of a standard MacBeth color Checker, and a path defined by the pen tool, one runs the script from the Photoshop File>Scripts menu (ACR-Calibrator).

Execution time varies with RAW conversion file size, WB accuracy, CPU speed, RAM and some luck--from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

In the end the parameters shown by Dave are listed in a PS document on screen and left in the ACR dialog--'save as' with a new name makes them a preset.

It bears mentioning that these profiles from ACR Calibration are very much light dependent--there is NO one size fits all either with a specific camera model--like all K10s or from situation to situation. If the light changes, you need a new calibration! The same is true for camera profiles in general, even if an ICC compliant profile is generated! Each camera, each scene lighting condition, every time!

That's not to say that some generalization isn't possible. In fact a golden-hour profile is better than nothing for other golden hour photographs from the same camera even days apart--but a new run would be more mathematically optimal.

Last edited by jfdavis58; 04-10-2007 at 02:05 PM.