Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D Image Chosen for the Cannes Festival of Fashion Photography

Hi Everyone...Thought that being all of you are proud Pentax users, I would like to announce that I have been chosen to expose at the "5th International Festival of Fashion Photography" in Cannes, France from June 30 to August 15, 2007 and the image they have chosen for the boardwalk "Le Croisette" was shot with the Pentax K10D and the 40mm Limited Lens. The images will be 4 x 6 meters or about 12 x 18 feet.

There are approximately 30 photographers exposing there.

Once it goes up, i'll post the photo of the canvas in it's surroundings.

Ben

Here is the image being shown...

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
04-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hi Everyone...Thought that being all of you are proud Pentax users, I would like to announce that I have been chosen to expose at the "5th International Festival of Fashion Photography" in Cannes, France from June 30 to August 15, 2007 and the image they have chosen for the boardwalk "Le Croisette" was shot with the Pentax K10D and the 40mm Limited Lens. The images will be 4 x 6 meters or about 12 x 18 feet.

There are approximately 30 photographers exposing there.

Once it goes up, i'll post the photo of the canvas in it's surroundings.

Ben

Here is the image being shown...
Nice to hear you are not blacklisted for using a Pentax

Congratulations Ben, it is always an honor to be acknowledged amongst your peers. Elite company I might add and I might add deservidly so!

I am interested though, what methodology will be used to interpolate the image up to 12X18' and have you seen this in a finished product elsewhere.

Do us proud!

Stephen
04-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes..I Have.

QuoteOriginally posted by scg Quote

Congratulations Ben, it is always an honor to be acknowledged amongst your peers. Elite company I might add and I might add deservidly so!

I am interested though, what methodology will be used to interpolate the image up to 12X18' and have you seen this in a finished product elsewhere.

Do us proud!

Stephen
Hello Stephan;

I'm not sure who has done them in the past, but it has been done every year since the inseption of the festival. There were over 30 canvases along the boardwalk of Cannes last year and the year before.

I have already posted a sample here in the past. I will give you an example of what it looks like. The company in Paris who do these canvases do the interpolation. I just give them the High Def finished image as it was prepared for the original support. They will up-size it. For Lumas Galleries I do the interpolation in CS2 using "Bicubic Smoother" to bring my images up from around 29 meg to 171 meg. The poster I am illustrating is I think about 18 to 25 dpi. But being that the viewing distance is at least 3 meters, you don't see the tram.

Here is a sample of who were exhibited last year and some of the press.

Festival International de la Photographie de Mode*Salon - Festival photo
FRANCE 2 - Les festivals de mode - Mode - France 2
Festival International de la Photographie de Mode | etapes.com

Last edited by benjikan; 04-15-2007 at 05:34 PM.
04-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Superb! Wish I could be there to see it in person and here the wonderful remarks that passersby are going to be speaking. Regardlees of the camera used, it is a great shot.

04-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Canon there for Sure..

QuoteOriginally posted by scg Quote

Do us proud!

Stephen
It is going to be really tense when I see the Boys from Canon there. They sponsored my separate "Canon"exposition in Cannes which ran in conjunction with my other expo with all the other photographers exhibiting for the "3rd Festival". That was 2005. It "IS" going to be pure unadulterated "Stress" believe me. Pentax want to be there as well. I honestly don't know if i want to show up. It is suppose to be a pleasant experience. Not a roller-coaster ride to "Hell" and back...I am not kidding!

Image shown is of my "Canon" Expo in Cannes which ran with my Festival expo...

Last edited by benjikan; 05-08-2007 at 05:26 PM.
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Man, I wanna hob-nob with the rich and super sexy. I have Ben Envy.
04-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Ben. Nice to have such an accomplished and critically acclaimed artist among us. Especially one smart enough to shoot with Pentax gear!

04-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh Yeah?

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Man, I wanna hob-nob with the rich and super sexy. I have Ben Envy.
I'm not rich and definitely not super sexy..I guess your referring to the very pretty women in the image I provided...Last year over four thousand people showed up for the opening. I guess there will be about that this year. I figure about half are female..Yeah, it is Cannes, yes "Models" yeah very sexy well dressed wealthy women as well, and those of the "alternate" persuasion, some very nice looking "Sheep" as well" .."Hmmm F--K the stress maybe I will go. They do pay for the Hotel and the food...I am still not sure I want to go...the "Canon" menace..Take it like a 'Man' Ben!" "She loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me not she................????????

Any bald shaved headed guys in this forum who can act real pretentious, obnoxious, totally insecure and full of themselves and yet not make an assh-le of themselves after a few drinks? If so perhaps you can fake it and say your me.

Ben...I think.
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
Forum Member

Ben, you are the artist (and a very exceptional one, I have seen your images on PhotoNet posts and your site), the marketing people are not the artists. Forget the stress, say what you think and feel. If one of the Canon people starts something just says,'Artistically, I have to use the best palate and canvas I can find.' And this is the truth! In my case that's why I play a Gibson (guitar), if I were a good or even a mediocre photographer I could say, 'This Pentax is what I need to properly express myself.' I own plenty of them (Pentaxes), but, alas, I just pretend I'm an excellent photographer. Let us know how the cocktail party goes.
04-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
June 30th

QuoteOriginally posted by john carter Quote
Ben, you are the artist (and a very exceptional one, I have seen your images on PhotoNet posts and your site), the marketing people are not the artists. Forget the stress, say what you think and feel. If one of the Canon people starts something just says,'Artistically, I have to use the best palate and canvas I can find.' And this is the truth! In my case that's why I play a Gibson (guitar), if I were a good or even a mediocre photographer I could say, 'This Pentax is what I need to properly express myself.' I own plenty of them (Pentaxes), but, alas, I just pretend I'm an excellent photographer. Let us know how the cocktail party goes.
I've got till June 30th to sew in an extra layer of stomach lining. I really want to bring my kids as well...They came to the 3rd Festival and had a blast till 2 AM and at that time they were only 9 and 11 years old...Yeah, i'll make it a family affair with my girlfriend and the kiddies...

Hey, if any of you guys and gals are in Cannes the 30th for the opening, come on down...
04-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not rich and definitely not super sexy..I guess your referring to the very pretty women in the image I provided...Last year over four thousand people showed up for the opening. I guess there will be about that this year. I figure about half are female..Yeah, it is Cannes, yes "Models" yeah very sexy well dressed wealthy women as well, and those of the "alternate" persuasion, some very nice looking "Sheep" as well" .."Hmmm F--K the stress maybe I will go. They do pay for the Hotel and the food...I am still not sure I want to go...the "Canon" menace..Take it like a 'Man' Ben!" "She loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me not she................????????

Any bald shaved headed guys in this forum who can act real pretentious, obnoxious, totally insecure and full of themselves and yet not make an assh-le of themselves after a few drinks? If so perhaps you can fake it and say your me.

Ben...I think.
Ben,

Forgive me if I am out of line here but:

Ultimately, the only anchor around your neck about Cannes is the one you put there yourself. So, take it off and relax. You know that your talents have not disappeared and you certainly have not changed who you are. (And that is a good thing, right? )

When you meet the Canon guys, you have two options. You can change the subject and simply say that you certainly have not been negatively affected by your move and that Pentax fulfills your needs in your genre of photography...and tell them if Canon fills thier needs...great. Smile and move on. Or be a meatheat and tell them to just shut up.

Additionally, the die is cast...you use Pentax now...so live with it.

Now, the only people that count in your life (professionally speaking of course) are the clients, models and art directors. If they are still knocking on the door that is the only issue that truly matters.

On the issue of insecurity...I tell everyone I teach, train or hire...if you are not putting in 15% of your time into being insecure about your talent and job security you are not doing your best effort. So, if there is some insecurity that means that you are probably focused and moving in the right direction.

Have a great time, rest, relax, network knowing that soon Pentax will be releasing some really mind-blowing news.

Stephen
04-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Any bald shaved headed guys in this forum who can act real pretentious, obnoxious, totally insecure and full of themselves and yet not make an assh-le of themselves after a few drinks?...
we've only just met and you know me so well!
04-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
Forum Member

scq is right, don't let them intimidate you. Forty (+) years ago my girlfriend started me on the road to being a doormat. A few years ago I decided no more. Just do and say what is right for you. Fortunately, you have the talent to back it up. Also, from scq, I read (a study) that incompetent people think they are doing the best job that could be/can be done, while competent people ALWAYS feel that they could do better.
04-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow. Great work, Ben.

Love the photo and it's nice to know that Pentax can get a look in amongst "the big boys". As good as the Pentax gear is though, I am sure it has much more to do with the talent, both in front of and behind the camera!