Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My solution to shots that are not level was to buy the focusing screen with the grid lines on it. All three of my camera bodies are fitted with grid screens. Keeps trees standing up, levels bridges, tells me when I have my camera set up to avoid keystoning ....

04-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even with the basic screen in, it's not that hard to get level shots generally speaking.

After all, what connects two points is a line, right? If I'm shooting any sort of landscape shooting, I level any 2 corners on either the horizontal or vertical axis on what I know should be a straight surface and adjust accordingly.

Takes a bit of practice but does the job.
04-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The viewfinder of the Canon XTi being as small as it is makes it sometimes hard to line things up straight.
04-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me it's better to get the pic leveled on a subjective basis. That is, for example, jk333 leveled pic does look to fall to the left in my eyes. I would tilt it back to the right a little in order to appear level to me. FWIW, rotating the pic in postprocess does reduce image quality every time you rotate. So, in this case I'd undo the rotation and restart from the beginning til I like it.

One thing I did not see being mentioned here is a simple test of your camera's viewfinder alignment with the sensor. Maybe take some tripod pics with a longer lens and distant subject (read: no distortion) like a real straight horizontal line. Take snaps with that line close to the viewfinder bottom, upper border, middle. All with SR on and off, just to be sure.

It's a known issue with DSLR's to have misaligned viewfinders to a much higher degree than film cameras.

Straighten up ;:.-)

Georg (the other)

04-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Your picture is Levelled already!

The central pole turns out to be vertical, you get the border of the platform not "levelled" because the left and the right of the platform are at unequal distances from the point you take the photo.

You use a wide angle to shoot the shot, that's the "perspective distortion" you will get. Nothing abnormal.

If you get a shot "levelled" for the platform, then the vertically erected stuff above it will not be looking right (upwards).

There is simply no problem, happy shooting!

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I haven't had my K2000 very long but I'm noticing that I often have photos that are not level horizontally - I haven't ever noticed this to be a problem with other cameras I have.

I do not have photoshop or Lightroom or any software (that I know of) that can fix the problem.

Do you think I'm just not able to hold the camera properly (even though I always managed to in the past?) or could there be something wrong with my camera? It's annoying, especially because I don't know how I can fix the images.

This is an example of what I'm talking about: