Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like your idea MikeH.

There's so many times that I'm snapping pictures on a cliff side ledge or some other stupid place where I wouldn't dare have the camera out without a strap. And since I'm often just moving a few feet to the next vantage point I need my hands free, so the neck strap stays.

Although your sure right about it being a pain with a big lens on.

04-11-2007, 04:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The only time I attach a strap at all is when I'm letting my kids handle the camera. Other than that, due to the nature of how I use it, a strap is actually a hindrance and likely to snag on something and cause a smash rather than prevent one. Hand straps are no good either because I need to be able to set the camera down again just as fast as I picked it up.
04-11-2007, 05:42 AM   #18

I do the same thing as Mike, more or less. I use keyrings too, although my strap is now a cheap, lightweight cotton belt I bought in the Philippines. The belt is long enough that the camera hangs low, which I prefer. I don't carry the camera around my neck, so much as looped over my head, hanging on my left shoulder, but the camera body sits net to my right hip. On the occassions I carry two bodies, the other goes over my right shoulder and sits near my left hip. This is just much more comfortable for me.

The reason I have gone to the belt from my Optech Classic Strap that i used previously is that the belt is a really lightweight and flexible cotton and when I want to simply carry the camera, I can wrap the belt around my wrist quite comfortably.

Just like with bags, there is no perfect solution.
04-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I use the Pentax neck strap almost all the time. I too wish it would stay either lens down or lens forward rather than "lens size dependant". I've given thought to a third strap to keep it lens forward on the dream that it might reduce the dust floating around inside.

For those who have not noticed the kit lens cap can be pressed on the thin part of the strap to keep it from flopping about. I got the idea from a Fuji S5200where they ingeniuosly utilized the same buttons that remove the cap to clip on the strap while the camera is bing used.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
04-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
MikeH,

Good idea. I hadnt actually thought of just using the rings on the existing lugs. I pulled a set off of one of my old Pentax's and put them on the K110D. It does balance a good bit better.

Thanks,

Mike

p.s. I'd still prefer a better lug system on future models... LOL
04-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #21

Fantastic idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
I also dislike the strap lugs, but for yet another reason.

I don't like having a strap permanently mounted on my camera. My camera normally resides in a shoulder bag (Domke F-803), not around my neck (I hate that!). Often, I don't need a strap (for instance, on a tripod, shooting around the house), so it's a pain to remove. If i leave the strap on, it gets in the way of my hands.

Here's my solution: I borrowed a couple of keyrings (part of it, actually, is from my Canonet GIII QL17 rangefinder!), and put them on the lugs. Then i took the strap from my LowePro TLZ1 bag (which doesn't see a lot of use), and use that for my camera strap. It's long, it's grippy, and has a quick release to attach and remove from the camera.

Pics:
I think that's the best solution I've seen yet. I'm going to try that.
04-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't use any strap most of the time. So, it would be a non-issue for me. And, I have never dropped my camera (for nearly 30 years) :-)

For the old style lugs, I think only the MZ-S has that for a modern SLR of Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by klopus Quote
For sure you aren't the only one. For my shooting style I hate neck straps in principle. Now I use the hand strap - Hakuba LH (Hakuba Camera Grip LH). There're better ones from Op/Tech USA, Nikon, Camdapter(TM) | Hand Strap Solutions for DSLR cameras | Made in the USA!, etc. but LH is simple, cheap and convinient. Hand strap allows you to keep the camera secure but always ready in your hand. When not needed for a long time I just put the camera back into my KATA T-240 sling bag.