Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #16

Original Poster
The first time I set the image settings to black and white and shot some random pictures, I was greatly surprised how much more iteresting certain photos looked, not all of them but there were some that looked plain boring that just looked great and interesting in B&W.
That was a total surprise for me (sure not for many of you who are experienced or professional photographers). I mean, I always thought that black and white was easier than color because it makes things more appealing and interesting, and the surprise for me is that I actually was right, black and white just strikes you more, there are no fancy colors to distract you, just light and shadow.

This doesn't mean it just makes everything look great or arty or pro, it only means black and white is a fantastic tool for photographers and since de advent of digital photography I think It has lost some importance in favor of software wizardry.
sometimes you spend hours in photoshop to make a great image, but the other day when I shot in black and white..., well it was five seconds to configurate in my camera and, magic.
That's why I wanted to save my settings just to fine-tune the pictures in ACR, maybe I can replicate the in-camera filters and upload them for anyone who is interested (if there are anyone interested).
thanks for the comments and excuse my english

04-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onnevan Quote
@Marc, well, I wasn't expecting pentax cameras to save to every third party raw processing software, just to photoshop's as it is the industry standard. I don't know what's aperture's file format for saving raw's settings, but I think lightroom is "xmp" too, so while not being an standard format I think It could be reasonable.
XMP is a standard, and lots of people use it, but the RAW processing info stored in those XMP files for one application aren't usually readable by another - only the IPTC and EXIF info and some other informational fields are standardized. Photoshop and LR can read each other's XMP files because they are both from Adobe, although I'm not sure if they can completely reproduce each other's processing or not.

As for Photoshop being an industry standard, this is more true for image editing than for RAW processing. Many people use Photoshop for their editing but do their RAW processing in other applications.

In any case, it's not likely to happen. There are many different camera companies, and dozens of different RAW processing applications, and to my knowledge, not one camera company has *ever* gone out of their way to make their proprietary camera settings available to *any* other RAW processing application.