Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #1

K200D custom image

Hi!, I'm using the K200 custom image setting to shoot black and white with an infrared filter setting but when I open my pictures in Adobe Camera Raw, it seems to apply default settings resulting in the loss of my black and white setting and I get colored pictures without any trace of my settings. Does anyone know how to keep the camera custom image settings in ACR?
Thanks!

03-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think this is possible with ACR. I believe you have to use Pentax's RAW conversion software to get your in-camera custom settings to be applied to your RAW files. I could be wrong.
04-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
I was afraid that would be the answer. Anyway, the pentax software can store those settings in a ".ini" file. Does anybody know if there's a way to convert the .ini to the ACR native ".xmp" so that you can apply them by loading the in ACR? I'm guessing such a converter doesn't exist but I hope I'm wrong...
04-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

I think the filters can only be applied to jpeg only. Maybe someone can clarify if I am incorrect.

04-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Meredith Quote
I think the filters can only be applied to jpeg only. Maybe someone can clarify if I am incorrect.
You're thinking of the special effects filters. The OP is actually talking about one of the custom image options, which are applied during RAW processing.

For most of the custom image options, you choose an image tone (which is basically a set of curves applied to individual color channels), and then can adjust saturation, hue, contrast, and sharpness. The Monochrome image tone is a little different: it replaces the hue and saturation adjustments with toning and a "filter effect". This filter effect is just a choice of which colors it weights as being bright when rendering to monochrome, Infrared being one of those.

onnevan, the processing for this only exists in the camera and Pentax software. The .ini settings and the metadata in the PEF/DNG files do indicate what effects were chosen, but the actual color curves etc are not there. Someone would have to completely reimplement the effect in ACR. I'm not familiar with ACR's abilities, so I don't know how feasible that would be.

Last edited by Quension; 04-01-2009 at 11:13 PM.
04-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onnevan Quote
I was afraid that would be the answer. Anyway, the pentax software can store those settings in a ".ini" file. Does anybody know if there's a way to convert the .ini to the ACR native ".xmp" so that you can apply them by loading the in ACR? I'm guessing such a converter doesn't exist but I hope I'm wrong...
I think you're right. If you like the "look" of one or more of those modes, your best bet would be to create your own ACR preset to mimic the effect.
04-03-2009, 03:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
I guess I have to give up this.I think It's a nice feature to have in the camera, you know, a little raw editor. But if the only options are either to save to a jpg or to use the crappy pentax software, it's a dead end for me.
It would be cool if pentax add a "save settings to xmp" feature in a future firmware, but I don't think that's going to happen.

04-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It won't happen because every RAW converter works differently. Pentax couldn't possibly be expected to be able to save settings in the format used by every single third party RAW processing progra out there. It's just something you have to live with when shooting RAW and using a tird party converter - you have to accept that the in camera settings are really there only for JPEG or for when using the Pentax software. It's the same with all other cameras; it's the nature of shooting RAW.
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Try a Google search for "infrared ACR preset". You can also try the same thing with "Lightroom" as I believe the xmp files are cross compatible (though I haven't checked). You should be able to download a preset that gets close to what you are able to do in-camera and then tweak from there.
04-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Normally ACR will at least pick up your white balance setting, but there's a problem with doing IR and converting in ACR:

ACR will only adjust the color temperature down to 2000 or so, and as far as I can tell it will not go any lower, not by using the white balance picker tool, nor typing in a super low value. (it will just revert back to 2000)

So the best option as far as getting out what you saw on the LCD screen would be to convert these ones using PPL, or mess around and convert them in-camera. If you're converting to B&W then you can get a fairly similar end result just converting in ACR and just ignoring the ghastly color it renders until you do your B&W conversion.
04-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

...or buy an IR filter
04-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
...or buy an IR filter
Ooops - I thought he had one and that's what he was talking about, I misread "filter settings" and thought it just said "filter".

@ onnevan: that was what I was referring to, taking IR pictures with something like the Hoya R72 filter attached to the lens. You certainly can mimic the effect with software other than PPL, an ACR preset, or numerous others as many others have already suggested.
04-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #13

Original Poster
You may think this is a little stupid but I like adjusting the custom image settings to IR filter and taking photos in Black and white. I know the images are in fact in color but it just change my mood seeing my pictures in B&W, some of them have a quality that I coudn't see looking through my bare eyes.

I like very much having this kind of "limitation" as it forces me to look for that something more when shooting things. It's just something psichological, I know I can do it any time in ACR, but seeing the photos in B&W while you shoot really gets you in the mood.

I suppose I just have to develop to jpg and use the jpg to mimic it's look in ACR.

@Marc, well, I wasn't expecting pentax cameras to save to every third party raw processing software, just to photoshop's as it is the industry standard. I don't know what's aperture's file format for saving raw's settings, but I think lightroom is "xmp" too, so while not being an standard format I think It could be reasonable.

Last edited by onnevan; 04-05-2009 at 05:12 PM.
04-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You may think this is a little stupid but I like adjusting the custom image settings to IR filter and taking photos in Black and white. I know the images are in fact in color but it just change my mood seeing my pictures in B&W, some of them have a quality that I coudn't see looking through my bare eyes.

I like very much having this kind of "limitation" as it forces me to look for that something more when shooting things. It's just something psichological, I know I can do it any time in ACR, but seeing the photos in B&W while you shoot really gets you in the mood.

I suppose I just have to develop to jpg and use the jpg to mimic it's look in ACR.

@Marc, well, I wasn't expecting pentax cameras to save to every third party raw processing software, just to photoshop's as it is the industry standard. I don't know what's aperture's file format for saving raw's settings, but I think lightroom is "xmp" too, so while not being an standard format I think It could be reasonable.
There's nothing wrong with your logic here. When I used to shoot film I "saw" things very differently when I knew I had B&W film loaded instead of color. I can't do it with my K10D whilst shooting RAW and I miss it.
04-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That's actually a great point, onnevan. And this applies also for shooting "regular" black and white as well. Being able to set the K200D to B&W and even setting to emulate a color filter gives you a very good preview of what to expect if you convert it yourself using similar settings, or can give you a good B&W conversion straight out of the camera.

Plus seeing the preview in B&W on the LCD screen definitely is helpful if you are having trouble pre-visualizing what the final B&W image will result.