Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10d Back focusing

Hey here guys! New to the forum and a total Pentaxian. I've been noticing or a while that I get a lot of slightly OOF pictures. At first I figured it was just user eror, and would try harder to get things in focus. That did help (since I'm sure some of it was my fault), but it didn't eliminate the problem. Then I though maybe this lens, or that, had a problem, only to realize that it was all the lenses. So I finally printed up a focus chart and tested all the lenses. Turns out, they all back focus. And not just that, as the focal length gets wider, the problem gets worse. which would explain why my 14mm f/2.8 has been living in manual focus land ever since. So, then I was just looking up the lens review for that very lens, and some guys said he had the same problem with back focus related to FL. I PM'ed him, but it doesn't look like he's been on in a while, so I thought I'd post here as well. Sorry if this is a frequent topic, I tried searching it, but didn't find anything. Thanks!

04-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a common problem but it can be fixed easily. Do a search on this forum, there is a program you can download to put the K10D in debug mode. From there, you can adjust the camera for any BF/FF issues.
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My problem with backfocusing on the K10D was solved in about 13 days by Pentax. I sent my body in - less the strap, battery, memory, and any other detachable things. They fixed it and returned it to me in less than two weeks.

I realize that there is a "Debug Mode" firmware update available, but some might feel better sending it in to Pentax for alignment.