Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #1

K100d Super - I have questions, do you have answers?

I am considering picking up a used K100d Super to replace my *istDS since I would like to have the SR and the ability to use SDM lenses. Hopefully a K100d Super would hold me until Pentax tells what their plans are for the k200/k20 replacements and the prices drop from the new model levels to something more affordable [at least a year from now].

Since I don't know anyone that owns one, I thought I would ask some questions here:

1. how effective is the SR?

I have a Canon P&S with SR so I know SR is a nice feature for an aging fellow but not a panacea. I have never used a Pentax with SR.

2. How does the K100's pentamirror compare to the pentaprism that a DS has?

I have never had my hands on a Pentax with a pentamirror.

3. Are there any quirks in the K100d Super that I should be aware of?

4. I have some MF M series lenses that I use from time to time with my DS. Does the K100 function pretty much the same with MF ?

04-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by bencason Quote
how effective is the SR?
I used to have the super. On my K20D, I have live view and when I hold the camera and start shaking it, the live view is steady as a rock and only starts to gently move when the shaking becomes more violent. SR just works.
04-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

in body SR is said to allow you 2 extra f stops over handheld...
04-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

I have a Canon P&S with SR so I know SR is a nice feature for an aging fellow but not a panacea. I have never used a Pentax with SR.
I have a K200D, which I believe has slightly improved SR over the first ones. I also have a Canon A590 IS. My impression is that I get about the same results with both of them, but I haven't done any direct comparisons. They're such different cameras that it's hard to compare anyway, and I'm not exactly a model example of proper handholding technique...

Either way, it's effective enough for my shots that I consider it a required feature. I seem to get at least 2 stops out it most of the time.

04-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've got a 100d, not a super, but I'll give it a shot.

1. Two stops, maybe three depending on how steady your hands are to begin with.

2. I think this might be one of those "your mileage may vary" situations. I've never looked through a DS, but I do have a K1000. There's a noticeable difference between the two. Doesn't bother me, but your eyes may see it differently.

3. Depends on what you consider to be quirks. I've had my K100D since Sept 2006, and I have yet to encounter a situation where I believe the camera has prevented me from accomplishing my objectives, so I've never felt the need to "upgrade" the body. Then again, I've never understood people who HAVE to have the latest new product, and then almost immediately start pining for the next latest product. I use a product until it stops working or is no longer useful. But I digress.

4. Should work the same. You have to use stop-down metering.
04-02-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am considering picking up a used K100d Super to replace my *istDS
I was in the same situation and got my self a K100D super
SR is a blessing not all mighty thou. 2-3 stops were enough that I switched to Av permanently since I diddn't have to worry too much about time.

2. How does the K100's pentamirror compare to the pentaprism that a DS has?
While the difference may not be noticed if you look at them separately it is obvious if you compare them side by side. The first thing I noticed was the difference in size. The next thing was focusing screen mismatch meaning whatever seemed to be in focus in K100Ds viewfinder was actually in back focus on sensor. There's also more glare in pentamiror under certain light. I got a split prism focusing screen from ebay and remedied this problem with a custom shim.

3. Are there any quirks in the K100d Super that I should be aware of?
Besides the pentamiror and generally poorer quality of viewfinder compared to DS I'd say none. Since the day I got K100Ds I seldom took *Ist DS out.

4. I have some MF M series lenses that I use from time to time with my DS. Does the K100 function pretty much the same with MF?
I didn't find any difference regarding old lenses.
04-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One quirk: The K1x0D cameras are not supported by Pentax Remote Assistant. If you use R.A. with your istD then that may be a problem with upgrading.

04-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I find it hard to measure the effectiveness of SR in "stops", because the reality is it is more complex than that. It increase the likelihood of shots of a given sharpness level at any given shutter speed, but the asctual amount by which it increase the likelihood is pretty variable depends on the photographer, the focal length, the weight of the lens, whether you are bracing yourslef really well or not, etc. Let's just put it this way - it works well enough that I have no intent of ever buying another camera without it.

Viewfinder - yes, if you compsre side-by-side, there is a noticeable difference in size and a lesser extent in brightness in favor of the Pentax DSLR's with pentaprism viewfinders. The focus issue matt mentions is kind of random; I wouldn't assume that all pentamirrors have misaligned focus screens, but it is true the focus screens are fiddlier on the pentamirror cameras should you ever try to remove and replace one.

I find the O-ME53 viewfnder magnifier makes the pentamirror viewfinders about as large as the pentaprism ones. Still not as bright, but if you're shooting with a reasonable bright lens (as most people who care about focusing manually enough to ask about viewfinders are!), it's still bright *enough*, in my opinion. Others find either way to frustrating and have a Katz-Eye or similar split-prism focus screen installed.
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #9

Original Poster
Good answers!

I want to thank everyone for the good responses. I like what I have read since most of the answers were the ones that I hoped for .

Now all I have to do is save the money and then find a good bargain on a K100d Super. As I mentioned in my OP, I hope to end up with whatever Pentax brings out in the near future plus have a trusty 6MP as a backup. In my film days, I traveled with a MX & ME for nearly 20 years. Having a backup paid off.

Thanks again.

Ben