Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Just tried out Canon 5D and 1DSmkII with some 24-105L lens .
The only thing that my combo ( K20D and my cheapo F50mmF1.7) cannot match the 5D or 1D is the price. That I am certain.

In terms of IQ & AF, my combo can match a lot more than the Canon setup

Daniel

05-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having owned both, I can't help but disagree. The K20D is an awesome camera with fantastic image quality, but it is no match for a 1Ds2 (nor should you expect it to be considering it new costs 1/4 of what a USED 1Ds2 runs).
05-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Having owned both, I can't help but disagree. The K20D is an awesome camera with fantastic image quality, but it is no match for a 1Ds2 (nor should you expect it to be considering it new costs 1/4 of what a USED 1Ds2 runs).

How sure are you re 5D / 1DSmkII + 24-105L compared with K20D & F50mmF1.7? I am not convinced (other than the convenience of a zoom) that the latter is outmatched.

As I said, the only thing the latter is more than outmatched is in price not in IQ or AF.

Daniel
05-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #169
Inactive Account

Hey hey, chill! I just tried out those because they were there available for testing. I never ever had chance to :/ And my point was that the AF was faster than with any lens *I* have right now for my Pentax. I didn't say anything about IQ either.

05-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Hey hey, chill! I just tried out those because they were there available for testing. I never ever had chance to :/ And my point was that the AF was faster than with any lens *I* have right now for my Pentax. I didn't say anything about IQ either.
100% agreed. We should concentrate on what we are supposed to be doing. Taking pictures

This was taken earlier with my K100D with F50mm

Daniel
05-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #171

one of the wonderful things about living in the united States is your right to be "sick of" listening to them whine and their right to do so. If you do not like the radio station, change channels.
05-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
How sure are you re 5D / 1DSmkII + 24-105L compared with K20D & F50mmF1.7? I am not convinced (other than the convenience of a zoom) that the latter is outmatched.
From a 5D/24-70 combo I tried a while back, it sure felt a lot faster than my K20D using either the Sigma 17-70 or 77Ltd...it was mainly the lack of hesitation or focus checks. You point it and hear a slight swish and it's locked. I'm guessing 50% faster focus speed, but that's just MHO
05-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I wonder why don't everybody buy Ferrari?
Short answer...reputation. I'm sure things have changed over the years, but the Ferrari dealer here used to tell a story about a client in Dallas who had to plan regular trips to Denver based on where the Ferrari dealers were because the car wouldn't make it all the way without breaking down enroute.

05-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #174
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Short answer...reputation. I'm sure things have changed over the years, but the Ferrari dealer here used to tell a story about a client in Dallas who had to plan regular trips to Denver based on where the Ferrari dealers were because the car wouldn't make it all the way without breaking down enroute.

Ferrari - Fiat.... all those F'n cars are the same!
05-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #175

My first DSLR was the K10D and now I have a K20D. Recently, I bought a used 40D because I was interested in the 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM lens (BTW... that lens is AWESOME). I can honestly say Canon's AF system is just better than the Pentax system. When comparing SDM to USM, SDM takes longer as it kind of does a midpoint search for the correct AF. While the Canon swings to the correct AF without having to do any minor adjustments.

It is a known fact that the Pentax AF system is slower than its competitors, but image quality is just as good as Canon or Nikon. I'm not bashing Pentax, but I'm also not a fanboy either. From my observation AF is something that Pentax needs to work on, and hopefully has improved on the new K-7.
05-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darthku Quote
It is a known fact that the Pentax AF system is slower than its competitors...
Why do people equate 'slower' with 'inferior'? Accuracy is more important than speed, and the speed some people expect does nothing but betray their shooting 'technique'.

Low light AF performance, however, is a completely different issue...
05-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darthku Quote
My first DSLR was the K10D and now I have a K20D. Recently, I bought a used 40D because I was interested in the 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM lens (BTW... that lens is AWESOME). I can honestly say Canon's AF system is just better than the Pentax system. When comparing SDM to USM, SDM takes longer as it kind of does a midpoint search for the correct AF. While the Canon swings to the correct AF without having to do any minor adjustments.

It is a known fact that the Pentax AF system is slower than its competitors, but image quality is just as good as Canon or Nikon. I'm not bashing Pentax, but I'm also not a fanboy either. From my observation AF is something that Pentax needs to work on, and hopefully has improved on the new K-7.
So... do you wanna sell your K20D?

If so how much?

Make it a bragain and I will consider it.
05-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #178
Igilligan

My af world

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Why do people equate 'slower' with 'inferior'? Accuracy is more important than speed, and the speed some people expect does nothing but betray their shooting 'technique'.

Low light AF performance, however, is a completely different issue...
Hey Jim, I have a 4 and soon to be 7 year old, and fast AF has become increasingly important... so much so that if they are moving around playing I seldom even try AF with the Pentax anymore. It is just too frustrating.
I have decided I will just shoot MF lenses and get what I get with them, rather than shoot Af and be disappointed. I seemingly have better luck auto focusing with the big dof of my small sensor p&s.

Having said that I still enjoy the K20d with all of my Mf lenses and even with the tamron 28-75 for portrait shots...

If the next pentax does not dramatically improve the AF speed and tracking AF then I have got to get a second system. It is just my AF needs, obviously not everyones.
05-06-2009, 04:35 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
From a 5D/24-70 combo I tried a while back, it sure felt a lot faster than my K20D using either the Sigma 17-70 or 77Ltd...it was mainly the lack of hesitation or focus checks. You point it and hear a slight swish and it's locked. I'm guessing 50% faster focus speed, but that's just MHO

Can you elaborate on the dollar# between 5D/24-70 combo and K20D/Sigma 17-70?

I think I shoot 60% in AF and 40% in MF. I still prefer using AF and the limitation is in the lens as my Zenitar, Tamron macro and A300mm are manual lens.

I did a series of a skateboarder coming fast in my face lately with DA200/K20D all on AF-C. That is a lot faster than a kid running around

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; 05-06-2009 at 05:48 AM.
05-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Hey Jim, I have a 4 and soon to be 7 year old, and fast AF has become increasingly important... so much so that if they are moving around playing I seldom even try AF with the Pentax anymore. It is just too frustrating.
I have decided I will just shoot MF lenses and get what I get with them, rather than shoot Af and be disappointed. I seemingly have better luck auto focusing with the big dof of my small sensor p&s.

Having said that I still enjoy the K20d with all of my Mf lenses and even with the tamron 28-75 for portrait shots...

If the next pentax does not dramatically improve the AF speed and tracking AF then I have got to get a second system. It is just my AF needs, obviously not everyones.

I believe it is like you have a family car Corolla and contemplating a BMW3/5 series as a second car (or second commuting system in your family). That is perfectly fine.

I had at one time handling D300 as well for my tele needs as lenses are a lot more readily available . Too much hassle.

Daniel