Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
and some of our needs have changed since we invested in the pentax system. ie - my kids have gotten older and faster...
I think we should be able to discuss that here.
Kids grow, and they aren't going to stop so that you can wait for your perfect camera, are they? Why not get what you want now, if you can get it in another brand? Waiting doesn't seem an option for you.

04-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
I think you are pretty stupid to spend "enough" money on equipment you are not happy with, just to have the "right" to complain.
Ummm...poco...

Wheatfield is anything but stupid. Ditto for me.

The story goes like this:
  • Most of us (except maybe ricehigh) love our Pentax gear
  • Most of us did extensive research and made our purchase decision based on that
  • Our cameras, at the time of purchase, were the best fit for our needs
  • Most of us would appreciate incremental improvements in features/performance when new models are introduced so that we can upgrade without changing systems. Better AF falls into this category.

I, for one, usually have manual focus lenses on my cameras so the AF issue is not a huge one for me. Do I caution new buyers about the Pentax AF? You betcha I do!

Steve
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Most of us would appreciate incremental improvements in features/performance when new models are introduced so that we can upgrade without changing systems.
And what model has not met that criteria of improvement? Is the K20D worse than the K10D, was the K10D worse than the *istD? Is the K200D worse than the K100Super, was the K100Super worse than the K100D, was the K100D worse than the *istDS? Is the K-M worse than the K110D was the K110D worse than the *istDL?

It seems the issue is in only the timing on the improvements. People would like this feature over that that was chosen and decry the decisions made as they don't get what they want. Love or hate your equipment, the action is the same. There is no justification in loving your Pentax equipment.

The people making the decisions have multiple considerations, you have what, one, faster AF, two, FPS? Wheatfield decries the K-M, yet Canon's and Nikon's 80% of the market is dominated by the sales of entry level Nikon and Canon bodies. Does it occur to anyone that in order to do good, you first must do well? Are things so simple in your life that you don't need to plan how and where to spend your money? Are you so well off that you can't understand that all things are not possible right at this moment? Have you never had to wait?
04-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There has never ever been a time that I've never been able to get a great shot of my kids (I have 3 ranging from 14 to 29 & 2 grandkids)- from babes to adulthood - from school sports to now extreme sports.

This I have done with Manual SLR, Yashica mat, Rolleiflex, autofocus SLR, Digital p&s, prosumer digital & now DSLR.

To say that the Pentax AF system is unable to do this EFFICIENTLY is extremely hard to fathom or understand.

Cheers

Dylan

04-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #20
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
There has never ever been a time that I've never been able to get a great shot of my kids (I have 3 ranging from 14 to 29 & 2 grandkids)- from babes to adulthood - from school sports to now extreme sports.

This I have done with Manual SLR, Yashica mat, Rolleiflex, autofocus SLR, Digital p&s, prosumer digital & now DSLR.

To say that the Pentax AF system is unable to do this EFFICIENTLY is extremely hard to fathom or understand.

Cheers

Dylan
Dylan, you are obviously much better at using all of your cameras than I am at using the few I have. I guess I must just be focus challenged...

A little to dim to use Auto Focus 'EFFICIENTLY'...

PS, why the need to capitalize that word? What exactly are you trying to say here?

I guess if I am so bad that I can't use AF, then I should just give up trying...

Ps... love your photos posted in the gallery...
04-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you are pretty stupid to spend "enough" money on equipment you are not happy with, just to have the "right" to complain.
Well, if you want a flame war, you've come to the right place, but I'll be gracefull and just tell you that you should probably pull your head out of your ass before you call people names.
04-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that's called a non sequitur, wherever your head may be.

04-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There is no justification in loving your Pentax equipment.
Hey POCO......you are aware that this is a ( wait for it ).....PENTAX forum.

Just wanted to give you the heads up..........in case you hadn't figured it out already.......you have a pretty unpopular opinion here?

My advice would be that if all the 'whining' and talk of AF is making you sick, don't come back.

This forum is an open exchange of ideas and knowledge and photographs for PENTAX users. Saying that there is no justification in loving our BELOVED equipment is like telling my 7 year old daughters soccer team that you forgot the snack.........people are going to be upset...........and their going to tell you about it.

I'd try to add value here rather than stir up this kind of crap.

This concludes my rant.

John
04-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I did my research prior to the marketing of AF cameras and ended up with a system of around a dozen camera bodies and 4 dozen lenses.
What right do you think you have to tell me that I don't get to prod the company who has benefitted from several tens of thousands of dollars of my money to make a better camera?
What right do you have to tell me to dump thousands of dollars of equipment investment, probably at a loss?

If you are happy with subperforming cameras, I'm happy for you. For myself, I'd like a better Pentax, not more entry level crap, and I think I've coughed up enough money to have a right to say in what sort of features I find important. I really don't think some guy whose bought a camera and a couple of lenses, and then goes with third party glass rather than Pentax has much right to tell me to shut up and go away.
Damn right. I've banged my head against the wall so long I've earned the right to complain about the headache.

Now if only everyone could just agree that my definition of perfect is the right one.

04-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I am a manual shooter of fast action shots.

This was a rare treat and I was surprised too with the AF performance . And I can tell you the action is faster than a lot of situation indeed.

K20D DA200mm firing in burst with AF-C

Actions shots DA200mm - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Daniel
04-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aamir515 Quote
we all do research before we buy the cameras and I am sure you all did too and you knew that Pentax is not known for AF speed
Well you're wrong there so I can complain all I want. I didn't research. I thought Pentax had been around so long, along with Canon and nikon that they would all be pretty equal!
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Well it does get tiring but it's with all these complaints that push manufacturers to improve their products.
Exactly.
04-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Whining is GOOD!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by aamir515 Quote
I do not post very often but I do visit the forum almost everyday... and boy am i sick of people complaining about AF speed.... we all do research before we buy the cameras and I am sure you all did too and you knew that Pentax is not known for AF speed... so plz, if you bought it knowing that it would not work as good as other dslrs, stop whining and please change your system.... go with the big boys.... leave us alone.... i believe most of us are very happy with the AF speed....
peace...
How dare you be HAPPY WITH YOUR PENTAX!

Right from when I was 2, I found that screaming and throwing my toys out of the pram always got instant results and I have never seen a reason to change tactics since.

Positive or balanced feedback is to be avoided at all costs. This will lull people into a false sense of security and they will assume things are not that bad. You have to make out that its a complete disaster and the world is ending otherwise they just wont LISTEN or they will stupidly focus on something else that YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT.

Anyway, I know Canon and Nikon can focus on a black cat in deep space within 6 microseconds and track a Higgs boson moving at light speed. It says so in their sales literature so it must be true. Besides, all my mates say so too and unlike Pentax, Canon and Nikon don't have any fanboys. So it must be true.

And I've always found telling someone something 10,000 times is far more effective than just telling them 1,000 times. If you can do 100,000 even better. After all, they are definately NOT listening. I mean I've had my K100D for 2 years and the AF system is as bad now as it was the day I bought it. So I reckon we should push for the million post mark.

I don't care that 17 forum regulars died of boredom in the process, they were just a bunch of FANBOYS who didnt have the resolve to push this issue through! I mean I'm not happy so how DARE they be happy with Pentax cameras, the fools. If anyone is HAPPY and able to take decent PICTURES Pentax won't do ANYTHING and I wont get what I want.

After all its clear that they have no idea about the camera market, or how to design a camera. I don't buy this "limited development budget" crap one bit. They should of course have SR, and weatherproofing, and 20 lens AF adjust but they should ALSO AF as fast as a Nikon D300 at 8fps for the price of a christmas cracker present because thats what I WANT.

And they had better do an FF camera at the same time or I'm LEAVING!

And if they still wont LISTEN then I'll start a blog and tell all my friends to buy something else. That will teach them. They will definately listen to me then.

04-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, if you want a flame war, you've come to the right place, but I'll be gracefull and just tell you that you should probably pull your head out of your ass before you call people names.
No name calling on my part, just stating a fact.

Last edited by poco; 04-02-2009 at 06:11 PM.
04-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by johnsherwood Quote
Saying that there is no justification in loving our BELOVED equipment
If you would care to read my post again I think you'll see I said complaining over and over by saying you love your equipment isn't justified. I could care less if you love or hate your equipment.
04-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
I think that's called a non sequitur, wherever your head may be.
I think you give to much credit to its author.