Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

There will ALWAYS be people who whine about (insert product here).

There will ALWAYS be people who defend (insert product here).

I don't frequent many other forums, because PF seems to be one of those rare places where the above two groups of people seem to mostly get along well together.

FWIW

04-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When Pentax developed the K10D they could have made the fastest most accurate AF camera the world has ever seen and I wouldn't have been able to afford it and I still wouldn't have a DSLR.
Instead I've had to learn to deal with it. The original screen wasn't that good at manual focusing, but they gave us the option to change it. I wish they hadn't crippled the mount to save money but we can still use all the awesome old glass. Yeah we have to push the green button and the metering is off sometimes a bit but we can use the old awesome glass. The Pentax flash system maybe isn't the best but it can be made to work.
The point is Pentax offered me a camera, that I could afford, and gave me the tools to do things, if only I took upon myself the effort to learn to use them.

But it doesn't bother me if people complain about these things because that is how things get changed and there are people with specific needs that need these changes. Besides I always have the option of not reading the complaints.
04-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Sigh. So much negativity in some of the posts here.

It says "Friendly Pentax Discussion Community" up top.
04-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
No name calling on my part, just stating a fact.
Damn poco...you are blunt...lighten up a bit.

I am embarrassed...

Steve

04-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Damn poco...you are blunt...lighten up a bit.

I am embarrassed...
I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities, but I am surprised you're not also offended by me being told to pull my head out? I guess I just don't understand you prissy little girl types?

Last edited by poco; 04-02-2009 at 09:09 PM.
04-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
How much experience do you have with K-m? Its not in your list of gear. I'm just curious if you've spent any time with this system or if you are making assumptions based on reviews you've read on the internet.
My reviews written on the Internet.. ;-)

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: My Second Tests on the K-m and Observations

QuoteQuote:
Do you have any photos you can share with us where this system let you down?
One of my examples:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Chinese Dragon Boat Race
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Everything that can possibly be said about the Pentax AF has been said. I think that while "most" of the regulars have lodge their complaints and moved on (either by dealing or by switching brands) long ago there are always new people who don't understand the history of the topic.

Anyone doing research (pre or post purchase) is going to run across various threads talking about AF. Their first reaction is to probably think "how bad is it" and then the join the forums and ask the question and start the "war" all over again.

Lets take the latest thread in this very section as an example. The OP joined in March, posted his thoughts and probably never realized how beat to death the topic is. There are of course the occasional Trolls and people who just can't leave it along but for the most part any of the new'ish threads are probably from new'ish people.

To the OP. Starting a topic saying you're "Sick of AF complaints" brings just as much attention to the topic as someone staring a topic "Pentax AF stinks". I think we should all just reply to AF posts with what we know to be true. That the Pentax AF lags behind in the continues/predictive AF, but for most things it is perfectly adequate and not as bad as some make it out to be. If you plan on becoming a Pro sports shooter or specialize in BIFs you may want to try another brand (although there are Pro sport shooters who shoot with Pentax like Mark Dimalanta). Use the camera that fits you and your shooting best (like we always say).

If we consistently give that message then these threads will die a much faster death to the back pages

John

04-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities, but I am surprised you're not also offended by me being told to put my head out? I guess I just don't understand you prissy little girl types?
I believe this is known as trolling? If you're being lighthearted and noncombative, you need to indicate so. Otherwise you just look like a belligerent idiot. No need for personal attacks here.

Chill out.
04-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Otherwise you just look like a belligerent idiot. No need for personal attacks here.
Thank you for your non personal attack. I would hate to see what a personal one was like.
04-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Thank you for your non personal attack. I would hate to see what a personal one was like.
It would look like this:

I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities, but I am surprised you're not also offended by me being told to put my head out? I guess I just don't understand you prissy little girl types?
04-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Sigh. Can't we get along here?

I'm going out to take some photos.
04-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #42
Igilligan

My dear poco

Kids grow, and they aren't going to stop so that you can wait for your perfect camera, are they? Why not get what you want now, if you can get it in another brand? Waiting doesn't seem an option for you.

Why not get what I want now.... Let's see, ummhh... the economy has literally collapsed in relationship to my job... My work is affected about a year out on the calendar and there is very little work ahead. So I will not be heading out and buying a new system. I wish I could...

This is a hobby for me, something I truly enjoy doing... the fact that I can use my hobby to take nice family portrait shots is a wonderful bonus. The fact that my Pentax AF is less than up to the task at taking shots of my moving kids is just something I will have to live with until, either the economy turns or Hoya releases a camera with a new AF design.

So I don't have the freedom to just start over with a new system... And I don't really want to abandon all of the old MF glass that I enjoy using. So I live with it. But if someone comes on this forum asking about getting a pentax camera... or asking about the AF, I will tell it like it is... if folks think that is complaining, so be it!

I come on this forum as a release... a get away from some of the worries that face us every day... To share photos and tips with other folks, not to have people giving priceless advice like my kids are gonna keep growing, and I should just buy new stuff...
04-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

No name calling on my part, just stating a fact.
So you are somehow thinking that the slower AF speed of the 55/1.4 is an improvement over the faster AF speed of the FA50/1.4?
When most manufacturers introduce new technology it actually improves performance.
In Pentax's world (and your's apparently)........

Fortunately for me, the rather moribund AF is not a deal breaker for the bulk of my work, but it would be nice if Pentax could make a camera that would keep up with what the competition was doing 5 years ago.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-02-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: took out the bad words
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #44
Veteran Member

speed wise I'm happy with my K10D, accuracy (esp simple situations) however I'm not. It can do it (I have pictures to prove it) but it doesn't too often (I have too many pictures to prove it!). If it broke, I'd buy a Nikon, not a K20D.
04-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #45
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
speed wise I'm happy with my K10D, accuracy (esp simple situations) however I'm not. It can do it (I have pictures to prove it) but it doesn't too often (I have too many pictures to prove it!). If it broke, I'd buy a Nikon, not a K20D.

Ain't that the way it is... In reality, it is broke! I need to send mine in for repair...