Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sick of AF complaints

I do not post very often but I do visit the forum almost everyday... and boy am i sick of people complaining about AF speed.... we all do research before we buy the cameras and I am sure you all did too and you knew that Pentax is not known for AF speed... so plz, if you bought it knowing that it would not work as good as other dslrs, stop whining and please change your system.... go with the big boys.... leave us alone.... i believe most of us are very happy with the AF speed....
peace...

04-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

MF speed is what bothers me of late. I remember back in the day the MF on my K1000 was awesome - 0.5sec max. But now days it takes my MF system light years by comparison to lock even with the split screen activated.
04-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Reasonable Expectation

Before you sick of others' "whining", those annoyed Pentax users have been sick of the sub-par performing AF system of Pentax DSLRs (maybe except K-m, which is still not really fast, though).

People are annoyed before the AF performs far below what is reasonably expected by many people, for an *AF* system. Even the old MZ camera bodies which were made more than ten years ago perform better, focus faster indoor and focus more accurately under tungsten, why people would NOT "whine"?

QuoteOriginally posted by aamir515 Quote
I do not post very often but I do visit the forum almost everyday... and boy am i sick of people complaining about AF speed.... we all do research before we buy the cameras and I am sure you all did too and you knew that Pentax is not known for AF speed... so plz, if you bought it knowing that it would not work as good as other dslrs, stop whining and please change your system.... go with the big boys.... leave us alone.... i believe most of us are very happy with the AF speed....
peace...
04-02-2009, 02:21 AM   #4

It's all relative I guess - I never had any type of SLR camera before my K10D, only p&s so my first thought on focus was 'WOW'. I'm sure I would have the same thought now if I used a Canon / Nikon / etc.

RiceHight - I don't understand why an MZ body would focus faster than a new body - I'm not doubting you and have no experience of this, but I would have thought that at worst, it would be the same?

I have 2 issues with all the complaints regarding AF speed:

1. I am guessing here, but I bet all the people that like to come on here to complain don't follow this up with a complaint to Pentax themselves. I'm sure if Pentax were receiving hundreds or thousands of complaints and requests all for the same thing they would look at this.

2. If you're your camera doesn't do what you want / need it to, go and buy something else - you may lose money and not be able to buy as much stuff you had previously, but 1 camera with 1 lens that does what you want is better than a lot of gear you will never really be happy with and you will build up your system again.

These points are really not hard and 1 may resolve your issue in the future and 2 will resolve your issue now.

If you go with no 2 can I have first dibs on any bargains?

04-02-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well it does get tiring but it's with all these complaints that push manufacturers to improve their products.
04-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
RiceHight - I don't understand why an MZ body would focus faster than a new body - I'm not doubting you and have no experience of this, but I would have thought that at worst, it would be the same?
Two words: Cut corners!

QuoteQuote:
1. I am guessing here, but I bet all the people that like to come on here to complain don't follow this up with a complaint to Pentax themselves. I'm sure if Pentax were receiving hundreds or thousands of complaints and requests all for the same thing they would look at this.
Nope. They knew well for the issue.

QuoteQuote:
2. If you're your camera doesn't do what you want / need it to, go and buy something else - you may lose money and not be able to buy as much stuff you had previously, but 1 camera with 1 lens that does what you want is better than a lot of gear you will never really be happy with and you will build up your system again.
I did and I do, see my signature.
04-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
I heard similar complains from Canon users. I'm not sure why film bodies could focus faster, the AF system doesn't seem really affected by the kind of film/sensor used. Maybe as RH says it's because the good components cost more money...

Anyway... I think Pentax AF has still some improvements to get. I just got a K-m and I have to say that the AF improvements are very welcome. It's just less hesitant and do fewer steps for the same result. I can't wait to see that in a K20D body with its stronger motor. But actually, for me AF-S has been more than adequate on my K10D/K20D bodies.

It's AF-C that sucked (a lot) on the K10D. Again it has been improved on the K20D to the point of being usable for "tracking" moving subjects. I put tracking under quotes because the AF-C on Pentax is quite crude: it only focus continually, it doesn't seem to guess what the subject is. I don't expect Pentax to be as refined as Nikon on AF, I just want decent and reliable performance. But anyway Pentax has never been a great performer for sport/action.

Now it's also true that a few complains are blown out of proportion.

04-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Well it does get tiring but it's with all these complaints that push manufacturers to improve their products.
+1

Look at it like bad tasting medicine that will make you feel better in the long run.
04-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
MF speed is what bothers me of late. I remember back in the day the MF on my K1000 was awesome - 0.5sec max. But now days it takes my MF system light years by comparison to lock even with the split screen activated.
LOL!

I feel that way sometimes, too. I use MF primarily, but when my eyes get tired, even a SLOW autofocus system is a welcome relief!
04-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Before you sick of others' "whining", those annoyed Pentax users have been sick of the sub-par performing AF system of Pentax DSLRs (maybe except K-m, which is still not really fast, though).
How much experience do you have with K-m? Its not in your list of gear. I'm just curious if you've spent any time with this system or if you are making assumptions based on reviews you've read on the internet. Do you have any photos you can share with us where this system let you down?
04-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have any issue with the Pentax AF speed. Most of my lenses are manual and I only have 2 AF lenses, the 18-55 kit lens and a Sigma 70-300. The kit lens focuses much quicker than the SIgma but both do a fine job for my needs. I will add that I do shoot sports a lot. I have a daughter who is a freestyle skier and another who races crew and I haven't lost shots because of any failure on the part of the camera. I have used other cameras like the Canon XTI one of my daughters has and any difference in AF speed is something I can't measure. I haven't used any of the real expensive top of the line Canon or Nikon's that cost as much as a new car. I would expect them to perform faster and if they didn't I would be pissed. My Pentax focuses faster and better than my eyes do sometimes.
04-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

my experience is that the MZ AF is better than the K100D
-it is just outright faster
-the viewfinder is big enough that you can tell if it missed focus
-however no cross points which makes it miss vertical/horizontal lines
04-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

peace...
I did my research prior to the marketing of AF cameras and ended up with a system of around a dozen camera bodies and 4 dozen lenses.
What right do you think you have to tell me that I don't get to prod the company who has benefitted from several tens of thousands of dollars of my money to make a better camera?
What right do you have to tell me to dump thousands of dollars of equipment investment, probably at a loss?

If you are happy with subperforming cameras, I'm happy for you. For myself, I'd like a better Pentax, not more entry level crap, and I think I've coughed up enough money to have a right to say in what sort of features I find important. I really don't think some guy whose bought a camera and a couple of lenses, and then goes with third party glass rather than Pentax has much right to tell me to shut up and go away.
04-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #14
Igilligan

peace...
This is exactly the type of attitude that permeates the 'other' forum...

I like this forum because it seems to be more tolerant of reality and honest dialog, and seemingly has less Fanboyism and Pentax Apologists. If anyone needs to "leave us alone" it could very well be you... Maybe you should check out old DPR... it is filled with like minded folks. Or just don't read the threads that are gonna make you sick!

Not all of us bought Pentax not knowing it would not work for our needs... and some of our needs have changed since we invested in the pentax system. ie - my kids have gotten older and faster... I use my camera in MF 80% of the time for the static shots I enjoy shooting... and when I have to use AF on the shots of the kids, I am never confident the camera will be focused on the moments I am trying to capture. That makes me sad.
So when I return from a social event or family gathering, and too many of the moments I have tried to catch are slightly OOF, or others are badly exposed flash shots because of the iffy PTTL flash system... I am gonna complain! I can not afford to switch systems right now, nor would I want to... I want Hoya/Pentax to get competitive in AF and Flash systems.

Pentax/Hoya is bringing up the rear in terms of AF speed / low-light AF / Tracking AF / Predictive AF...

I think we should be able to discuss that here.

Last edited by Igilligan; 04-02-2009 at 12:03 PM.
04-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I think I've coughed up enough money to have a right to say in what sort of features I find important.
I think you are pretty stupid to spend "enough" money on equipment you are not happy with, just to have the "right" to complain.