Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
wmmk's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 106
K1D/K10Ds?

Hello everyone,
I'm sure most of you are tired of this topic, but I, being a fairly recent (I've been shooting Pentax 6 months now) convert from Nikon 35mm, have wondered a bit about the future of Pentax's digital SLR bodies. In particular, I find the serious amateur and (not yet released) professional models interesting.
I was wondering what, if anything, is know about the specifications, from factors, names, and release dates of these cameras.
I've seen 'wish list' threads, but what I'd like to know is what and what isn't fact or at least fairly reliable speculation.
Thanks,
wmmk

04-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Invariably "S--T" Happens

QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
Hello everyone,
I'm sure most of you are tired of this topic, but I, being a fairly recent (I've been shooting Pentax 6 months now) convert from Nikon 35mm, have wondered a bit about the future of Pentax's digital SLR bodies. In particular, I find the serious amateur and (not yet released) professional models interesting.
I was wondering what, if anything, is know about the specifications, from factors, names, and release dates of these cameras.
I've seen 'wish list' threads, but what I'd like to know is what and what isn't fact or at least fairly reliable speculation.
Thanks,
wmmk
Invariably "S--T" Happens...There will be new stuff coming out and generally it happens at prime photo shows like the "PMA" or "The Salon des Photos" in Paris etc.
My attitude is this. If I had to wait for the next best thing, I would never capture any images. What is out now from all of the manufacturers is very good...Just remember that in 1993 or 4 a 1 mega pixel camera cost about $25000...

What we have today is close to a technological miracle...My scanners are collecting dust except for flat bed scanning to make copies of my tax return.

I guess to be honest..I figure early Fall 2007...But don't shoot the messenger.

Ben
04-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
wmmk's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 106
Original Poster
Yeah. I'm not terribly concerned. My K100D is all I need for right now besides good technique...
I simply wonder because I am delaying the purchase of any fast zooms (in which HSM/SDM which would be quite useful) until I:
a) Have a camera that will support all features of the lenses
b) Know that Sigma will adopt the KAF2 mount so I can get their EX 70-200 f/2.8
04-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Buford Georgia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 91
I agree. Technology continues to improve. You have a decide what YOU want, not what the market is offering and pick the closest one.
DSLR's are just cameras. They can't perform miracles. Bells and whistles do not make us better photographers. Understanding the same things it takes to make a good 35mm picture will serve well with a DSLR (and no less) All those crazy features have only very limited use.
Personally, I have a K100 and have not regretted it one bit.
I find the more 'automatic' a camera is, the less likely you'll get what you expected when you take a shot.
Also keep in mind that speed (high ISO) is inversely proportional to pixel count. Get a camera with loads of pixels and you get a lot of noise to go with it, unless you turn the light up.

04-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,399
I agree with Benjamin. I bought my old 300D some time back for the same price I paid for my K10D. But the thing is, if I waited and waited for the next latest and greatest, there would've been a lot of pictures and moments that I would have missed capturing.

Photography is about the pictures, the moments, and not about the camera. Pixel-peeping's not the way to go about things. Aside from missing the whole point of photography, one would certainly have less fun doing photography since he/she would always worry about how long till his/her equipment will get obsolete.
04-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member
-spam-'s Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 357
QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
b) Know that Sigma will adopt the KAF2 mount so I can get their EX 70-200 f/2.8
You can get a version of that lens for the pentax already, just not the brand new macro version.

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Pentax Mount Discounted Now at Camerastore.com.au
04-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,175
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I agree with Benjamin. I bought my old 300D some time back for the same price I paid for my K10D. But the thing is, if I waited and waited for the next latest and greatest, there would've been a lot of pictures and moments that I would have missed capturing.

Photography is about the pictures, the moments, and not about the camera. Pixel-peeping's not the way to go about things. Aside from missing the whole point of photography, one would certainly have less fun doing photography since he/she would always worry about how long till his/her equipment will get obsolete.
It is about the images - that is the important thing.

I work in IT and people ask me what kind of computer to buy - I say get the biggest, fastest, feature rich machine that you can afford - then throw away all of your comparison magazines and get on with it. There was one guy I worked with that was always waiting for the best deal - he bought a computer during the last week he work for the company - on his last day he was p*ssed off because someone came out with the same device for $200 less than what he paid for it - and Intel announced a new CPU that was 44% faster. (In the camera world one of my co-workers just says "C*non just buy a C*non it is the only real camera out there")

When people ask me what kind of camera they should buy - I ask questions to see what they want to do - an SLR is not the best choice for a lot of people. I send them off to several sites to compare cameras and feature sets. I ask what they have (if they have a SLR now) - and suggest that they stick with that brand - because lenses are expensive - use what you have.

Take a class - take pictures, show other people your stuff - ask for critiques (not criticize) learn to accept that your vision is not what other people might like. Research the history of art and composition. The dSLR is a complex machine and is very subtle in its use it will take time to learn how to wield it effectively.

PDL
04-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
wmmk's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 106
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
You can get a version of that lens for the pentax already, just not the brand new macro version.

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Pentax Mount Discounted Now at Camerastore.com.au
Right, but I'm fairly sure it's not actually HSM.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sigma's 70-200 Page:
The Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensures a silent, high-speed AF function as well as full-time manual focusing capability for Sigma, Canon, and Nikon-D mount lenses.
As I said, it's not as though I'm waiting to buy a camera in general, but the next DSLR will have to take me through all of high school and most of college, and I'd rather not rush a purchase of this, considering the fact that I already have a great DSLR.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K1D MJB DIGITAL Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 03-04-2008 01:58 AM
Pentax K20D, K5D, or K1D (or both a K5D and a K1D)? stewart_photo Pentax News and Rumors 42 01-04-2008 02:45 AM
so its actually the k1d CarlCanary Pentax News and Rumors 29 01-03-2008 01:53 PM
synchronization of 2 K10Ds nikonic Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 12-21-2007 10:39 AM
50-500 + K10Ds first outing! - Soccer - 14 photos blwnhr Post Your Photos! 20 08-10-2007 07:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top