Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #1

K20d 14 Megaxels

Hi Everybody,

I was wonndering if its true what Pentax in its commercials says that the K20d with its 14 megapixels is really surpassing the resolution of film?

thanks

04-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is there an accurate way to compare the two? It's said that anything above 10MP is better than your standard 35 mm film SLR.
04-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Burgerbrater Quote
Hi Everybody,

I was wonndering if its true what Pentax in its commercials says that the K20d with its 14 megapixels is really surpassing the resolution of film?

thanks
Yes. In fact once you get to a scan of around 3000 dpi of 35mm film and 645 MF film, what you get above this resolution is grain enlargement. Even the K10D out resolves 35mm film at 50 iso by a considerable margin.
04-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I´ve never had any doubts about this statement. I have proffessionally scanned slides (Velvia on Heidelberg drum scanner @ 12,800 dpi) only to discover (back those days) that grain was enlarged, but there was no resolution gain.

some years later, just for the fun, y shot a scene that I had previously shot with Velvia (and also scanned), with my Ist-D, using the same lens and settings, except for the ISO, which was 200 with the IST-D.

The test showed that both the scanned slide and the digital file from the ist-D (at 6 mp shooting jpg) was about the same resolution, but with an extra bonus towards the digital file, which is the "abscence" of dull grainy areas where fine details are in highlights and deep shadows. Even the digital's noise was not as bad as the scanned slide.

Remember, this test was done with the ist-D at 6 mp. I believe I have those files somewhere in my back ups. I'll try to find them and I will post the examples.

04-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've always heard that 35mm film has a resolution (using modern scanning equipment) of approximately 20MP. That being said, I think rburgoss is right about the comparable usability of the available pixels.
04-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i've heard film does about 16mp if your counting... but i've not counted myself
04-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Yes. In fact once you get to a scan of around 3000 dpi of 35mm film and 645 MF film, what you get above this resolution is grain enlargement. Even the K10D out resolves 35mm film at 50 iso by a considerable margin.
Ben, around 2004 I read on a "Chasseur d'images" editorial where they estimated the Kodachrome25 resolution to be around 30Mpxl. Don't know what method they followed to come to that conclusion. If you have a chance to meet them at the Café..... they could explain.

Rui
04-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All of these numbers tossed around, of the maximum resolutions of various slow films, matter little to me personally, since I shot (and still occasionally shoot) 400 ASA (oops - ISO - <g>) film almost exclusively, and it seems pretty evident that using my K20D most of the time at ISO 400 ~seems~ to give me better resolution than I ever have seen on the films that ~I~ have used.

(Please note that this is ~NOT~ at all any criticism of this discussion - it is just pointing out a day-to-day situation that is more relevant to ~this~ shooter than are mentions of what good ol' K25 or smooth Velvia can do - <g> - Carry on then...)