Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Stripe on K20D images

I have just found a problem with the K20D.

I took some images tonight, and suddenly on a number of them I now have a stripe a third down (in Landscape) on the images.

I have looked at both the raw and jpg files on each, and both have them.

I am running firmware 1.01

Help!

I have added an image with the fault

Attached Images

Last edited by offertonhatter; 04-02-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Added image with fault
04-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've saw something similar on my K10D once, but it was several lines of mostly black and some colored lines. The lines were not consistently in the same position in the frame. When I swamped cards the issue went away. I remember seeing a similar post a few weeks ago. The consensus seems to been that this is due to a memory card issue. Maybe try a different cards or reformat your current one a few times and see if the problem goes away.
04-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried that this morning, before I came into work, just to check if it was the card, but no, same problem. It would appear to be the camera
04-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Banding

Some K20D suffer from the problem, but the proportion is not low as found:-

Banding | Michael T. Lippert

If the article is too technical, just read the conclusions as marked with green ticks.

You may not see the banding all the time, but just under specific conditions and with particular settings, e.g., DR expansion is on and/or at higher ISOes and/or underexposed and push processed.

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I have just found a problem with the K20D.

I took some images tonight, and suddenly on a number of them I now have a stripe a third down (in Landscape) on the images.

I have looked at both the raw and jpg files on each, and both have them.

I am running firmware 1.01

Help!

I have added an image with the fault

04-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks RH, but it seems to be a sensor problem. I have tried at various ISO's. the shot was taken at normal temp, in fact the previous shots were fine, but the post shots all have the stripe. I have contacted Pentax, and will be sending them the camera. If they cannot fix it, then they will replace
04-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Did you Format the cards that you tried?
It would be nice if there was a simple answer, it'd be a shame to have to send it in. There was a time when you could take it to your local B&M store and you'd get a 'loaner' if it was under warranty. So much for progress.
04-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Did you Format the cards that you tried?
It would be nice if there was a simple answer, it'd be a shame to have to send it in. There was a time when you could take it to your local B&M store and you'd get a 'loaner' if it was under warranty. So much for progress.
Tell me about it, I wish I could have a K20D loaner, but instead I am going to borrow a friends EOS 5D, Oh the Ignomy!

I did format the cards, but no difference. Lets hope I get it back sooner rather than later. Other wise for jobs like this, I will either have a stubborn K10D (another story), an old DS, or borrow my parents lightly used Samsung GX-1S

04-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The GX-1S is a great little camera. I had one before the K20D. Hope you get it fixed soon though!