Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #1

K20D View finder spot!?

I was just holding my camera and I looked through the view finder and saw a tiny little dot in between the middle 2 Parentheses like things.

( . ) Thats what it looks like but just a bit more toward the center. Now I also notice a tiny little hair on the bottom right hand corner!!

how would I go about getting rid of these? I made it check for dust on sensor and the dust cleaning and it didnt get rid of them.

04-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, I would be surprised if sensor cleaner got rid of them since they are NOT on the sensor. They are on the mirror or (more likely) focusing screen. You can try to get rid of them with a "rocket blower", but since those won't show in the pictures, I would just ignore them for now. Often, the more you try to get rid of dust on the focusing screen, the more you get. I clean my focusing screen by taking it off and using the blower and a very soft brush, but only when it really gets cruddy.
04-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.
I really cant ignore it, its going to drive me insane
So your saying a Air duster could possibly fix it? If i blow the mirror off a bit?
04-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kris88 Quote
Thanks for the reply.
I really cant ignore it, its going to drive me insane
So your saying a Air duster could possibly fix it? If i blow the mirror off a bit?
I had a similar problem and it went away after a blast of air. The key is to make sure you don't blow other crap around on the sensor.

04-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #5

be careful

I had a similar problem after installing a nice split focus screen: two little bits that stood out like neon signs.
I carefully, carefully took the screen back out...gently held my rocket blower tip near the screen while holding the screen in the other hand with a tweezer - and proceeded to bump the screen with the tip of the blower. arg. burnished a nice little bright spot on my screen. oh well, it's still better than the two *gigantic* hunks of...stuff...that I blew off.
I would think that if you can see the distractors clearly then they are on your focusing screen and not on the mirror.
04-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine was in the view finder. Perhaps it would be good to figure out if it is on the screen or view finder.
04-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you think about it, the mirror has a built-in dust removal function every time you take a picture. The gunk would have to be sticky like super glue to survive the mirror slap - in which case you should be able to see it rather clearly when inspecting the mirror.

Most likely it's on the focus screen.
04-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yes, I think it is on the Focusing screen. I have no idea how to clean anything on the focusing screen

04-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, I think it is on the Focusing screen. I have no idea how to clean anything on the focusing screen
The last time I had something big enough to be distracting (a hair), I just held the camera above my head and blew into it with a forceful "puff". Hair gone. I wouldn't recommend this, as you could accidentally deposit some saliva on the screen. Better to try a rocket blower first. Whatever you do, DON'T use compressed air, as the propellants can make things worse.
04-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
The last time I had something big enough to be distracting (a hair), I just held the camera above my head and blew into it with a forceful "puff". Hair gone. I wouldn't recommend this, as you could accidentally deposit some saliva on the screen. Better to try a rocket blower first. Whatever you do, DON'T use compressed air, as the propellants can make things worse.
Wait, Rocket blower is different from those little cans with air in them? And by "blew into the camera" do you mean through the lens mount?
04-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wait, Rocket blower is different from those little cans with air in them? And by "blew into the camera" do you mean through the lens mount?
Yes, Rocket Blower is a "squeeze bulb" type blower with a filter on one end to prevent sucking in dust when you squeeze it.

And yes, I meant through the lens mount.
04-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #12

Original Poster
Ok, Thank you
Can I get rocketblower at local stores or is it like a online thing.
04-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I am 95% sure it is on the focus screen; but the million dollar question is, is it on the top or bottom? The best chance is for it to be on the bottom (right above the mirror) don't brush it. Use a Rocket Blower and as gently as possible blow up toward the screen. I have done this with my new K20 and so far I have a 100% success rate. I have learned with past bodies not to blow too much or too hard as you tend to make things worse. The only time you will have to remove it and clean it is if its on top but there are tools from Visible Dust to clean the screen, and other methods I have two, they both work.

The first is to buy the brush or wet swabs to clean it from VB, but you can just clean it yourself just as good. Just remember some key safety points. The screen is a very delicate plastic resin, the top is etched and has very fine microscopic channels that are very easily scratched from numerous ways and it always seems to happen, so be careful. I take it out (there is a video on you-tube look up change k10 focus screen; its the same as the K20) and blow it so there is no dust (although dust can be stuck in the fine channels). Rinse it to help clean it, then with mild soap between your fingers wash it very gently between your fingers, rinse and blow dry quickly so no deposits form. I have done this with 100% success. Be warned though I take no responsibility for damages that can easily happen. The best advice is to leave it .

I have read of other home made remedies to clean it, all say it works, the key is don't scratch it, so don't under estimate why people say its best left alone.

But 70% chance a puff or two from a blower pointed toward the bottom of the screen will cure your eye sore
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the info
Ill get a rocket blower and see if it works. At least it isnt affecting my photos.
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok, Thank you
Can I get rocketblower at local stores or is it like a online thing.
You should be able to find it in camera stores. If not, here is a place to buy it online.