Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First Impressions of KM from K20D owner

Hi All,

I just thought i share a quick review of the KM from a K20D perspective.

I bought the camera for my wife, who incidently thinks the K20D is too big and heavy. The K20D has the grip attached which I find is just big enough for me !
She is lucky to be 5Feet tall, me i'm over 6feet, so i guess that tells most of the story. She is happy with the KM size wise and ergonically suits her. Again, for me buttons are still accessible and are all on the right hand side and while some buttons are missing compared to the K20D, some of them are in the menu system, like the SR.

For a while i was stumped seeing all these extra scene modes but as i read about them in the manual and looked at them from a novice POV, they sort of made sense. Sort of, because if you get really used to them and went up to the K20D, then you would be scratching your head as well trying to make sense of the loss.
Having said that, i probably see them as a little too dumbed down and having so many options (from a novice POV) may be overwhelming or hard to remember.

So Pentax have added the HELP button. Man that must have taken up some memory! But a fantasic feature. Press the help button, then press the button you want to know more about and it basically comes up with the page from the manual. A manual on the camera.......who would have thought.

Next Digital Filters. Something the K20D doesnt have. I thought another Gimmick, but now after using the Digitial filters which include HDR, Colour reduction(cant remember the name), b/w, sketching etc, i love it. Think Post processing short cuts in PS. One button and there you have it- a shot that has a little extra done with the minimal of fuss - in camera.
I used the colour reduction filter on a portrait of my wife and 30secs later it was PP in camera. Done. It just could be done as quick in PS, let alone the convenience. Nice Touch. If only they did pano's.....

Focus, well we have all heard it's faster. So it was a pleasant surprise to find it is accurate and fast. Certainly faster than the K10D and as accurate as the K20D. All up I would say focusing (only the kit lens so far) seems to be fantastic and i think anyone using the pentax system should know that it will be getting better for all models soon, heres the proof.

Iso button is dedicated now, most people will like that on a K20D more than on the KM

Things i didnt like too much.

The LCD display is on and bright until you half press. Can be off putting when you move your eye to the viewfinder at night.
WB is not crash hot under AWB and incandescent lightin. I took a couple of shots under incandescent lighting and found it different in a couple of shots and not accurate enough in the WB menu. Not a huge thing when it it so easy to PP.

Look the rest of the stuff the camera does is just what you would think it would do. It takes great images. I would probably stick with JPGs as a novice and the JPGs are good enough. RAW is better though but not essential.

A great little camera.

Cheers Neil

04-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have a question, cause my gx10 is broken now and I want to buy a new camera.
What is better choise for summer - k20d or k-m?(after this summer I think pentax will introduce a new camera...)
04-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you were to 'downgrade' from a k20d to a km what would you actually lose?

4mp
weather sealing
penta mirror

what else?

and what would you gain?

size and weight advantage
faster AF
digital filters

what else?
04-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be a lot less happy with the K-m's simplified control layout (more menu-diving) and lack of TAv mode. The top LCD is a surprise to me, I never had one before but now I use it a lot, and so I'd count that as another serious thing I'd lose.

04-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Igilligan

Digital Filter?

QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
Hi All,

I just thought i share a quick review of the KM from a K20D perspective.

-edit-

Next Digital Filters. Something the K20D doesnt have. I thought another Gimmick, but now after using the Digitial filters which include HDR, Colour reduction(cant remember the name), b/w, sketching etc, i love it. Think Post processing short cuts in PS. One button and there you have it- a shot that has a little extra done with the minimal of fuss - in camera.
I used the colour reduction filter on a portrait of my wife and 30secs later it was PP in camera. Done. It just could be done as quick in PS, let alone the convenience. Nice Touch. If only they did pano's.....

Cheers Neil
Neil, I am pretty sure the K20d has the "digital filter" thing going too. When you are looking at a photo on the LCD, just hit Fn and the left arrow on the 4 way controller...

BW
SEPIA
Color
Extract Color
Soft
Illustration
HDR
SLIM
Brightness

You click on the one you want and make some adjustment then save as a new photo, Is that the same thing you are talking about?
04-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Correct, Gus. It (K20D) also has colored filters and psuedo IR for B&W conversion under the Fn->OK "Custom Image" menu.
04-04-2009, 01:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I'd be a lot less happy with the K-m's simplified control layout (more menu-diving) and lack of TAv mode. The top LCD is a surprise to me, I never had one before but now I use it a lot, and so I'd count that as another serious thing I'd lose.
The K-M uses the main LCD as an info display. I tend to like that more.
04-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I am pretty sure the K20d has the "digital filter" thing going too.
The K-m has more, and they can be automatically applied during Capture, like the custom image modes. They can also be combined if applied during Playback.

04-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
The K-m has more, and they can be automatically applied during Capture, like the custom image modes. They can also be combined if applied during Playback.
Hi Gus, Quension has answered here, but you are both correct. The K20D does have it but i have never used it. Probably because coming off the K10D i never used jpgs and so i didnt tinker much with the in-camera stuff, just left it to PP.
Probably the other thing that is significant is that for a novice, PP in-camera is an easy treat. Even now PS scares me

Cheers Neil
04-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yesterday i buy a K200D Silver, much cheaper than K-m in Europe. but perhaps not in Australia?
04-04-2009, 02:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote

4mp
weather sealing
penta mirror

what else?

and what would you gain?

size and weight advantage
faster AF
digital filters

what else?
Personally, i wouldnt go back from the K20D given the choice ie: it is right for what i want and need.

KM 4meg - doesnt really matter, some crop adv but thats all.

Size and weight if you want something small. KM is far too small for me but for someone smaller it would be perfect.

Weather sealing is great, but not a deal breaker.

Live view, i never use it, probably will one day, but no real loss.

I saw a review, dpreviews and some of the things they said reeked of bias like the K10D and lens reviews. "it doesnt do JPGs well, blah blah." I see they are better than the K10Ds jpgs but at the end of the day, the jpgs are very good and good enough to print with at any size. If you want to fiddle in PS then you would go the one step further and shoot RAW with the slight disadvantage of file size.
A friend who shoot the Canon D1mark27.5xx shoots RAW too, maybe he has soft jpgs... it is all insignificant raw vs jpg, as long as at least one is perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Sorry but never used TAv mode, i use either Manual or P. So its neither here nor there for me. Top LCD is good but the back is bigger and brighter, i dont think you would miss it unless you used Live View and needed the screen. Menus are something you get used to, you dont really dive in as much as you would think, probably no more than K20D.

The two things i would miss most, are ME multi Exposure, simply a wonderful tool that every camera should have and Exposure bracketing, again something that is essential for me.

Jaleel, The best bet is to wait till the K20D goes cheap or 2nd hand. If youre used to the K10D and its ergonomics suit you, then stick with that size. I really didnt want to go to the K20D when i had the K10D, i wanted to jump 2 models, but the K20D is simply a fantastic camera and one that refined all the things i disliked about the K10D, focus most of all. Can u resist ??

Cheers Neil
04-04-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh trust me, menus are something that I am used to. My last camera was an Olympus E-330 with far fewer external controls. Menu-diving isn't difficult, but it is distracting.

Also on that camera, all shooting info was displayed on the rear LCD, like it would have to be with the K-m. I was perfectly comfortable with that system, but I find myself liking the top LCD more and more. I also like feeling like it's not draining the camera's battery as much. Different tastes for different users, I guess, I'm not saying that the lack of the top LCD is necessarily a positive or negative thing, just for me personally I'd miss it.
04-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote

4mp
weather sealing
penta mirror

what else?
Better high-ISO performance, all of the modes which use two dials for control (TAv, for example), switching metering modes from a dial rather than poking in a menu...

Is it really true that there's no option to shut off the back LCD unless I press a button to turn it on? That would be painful to me.
04-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Yesterday i buy a K200D Silver, much cheaper than K-m in Europe. but perhaps not in Australia?
Yeah i just noticed a k200d is cheaper than the km...
04-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have a K10D with battery grip. Fantastic camera, but heavy....that battery grip I'm sure...adds weight...but I like the extra surface area to grab the camera....also the additional shutter switch and storage room for an extra battery, memory card and remote control. But with all this..did I mention it's heavy ?

I'm looking at getting a KM as a daily carry around and as an additional body to the K10D.

I appreciate the anecdotal reports from KM users...the OP mentioned his wife use it...the KM might be a way to get m y wife into photography.