Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pointstores Quote
I know exactly how you feel. I spilled water on my laptop then opened it up and dried it out. Two hours later spilled coffee on it
Ouch! Be glad it wasn't Pepsi or Coke (don't ask me how I know :ugh. That stuff works like battery acid...

04-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Cover up the mount and wash

EDIT: The camera is weatherproof, not waterproof. Doing this is not advised
OMG ...thank goodness it's Pentax!!!!

Imagine if Pentax advertise this picture, I bet they will gain more market share!
04-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pointstores Quote
I know exactly how you feel. I spilled water on my laptop then opened it up and dried it out. Two hours later spilled coffee on it

There was a thread with a Canon user whose Eos 5D Mark II had stopped working, as he had a water bottle in the same bag :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/49674-fate-one-5d-mkii.html

I need gasketing, as I know I'll do something similar at some point.

Read of another, who had tripped, and his hand plus camera had got underwater. His Pentax continued to work though. (In time, it can still run into problems, as I understood it, though)
04-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #19

My K10D is worn until I sit at a table in a cafe or restaurant. Then, my camera goes on the table and my Panama hat sits over the camera. A few days ago a waiter spilled a bowl of soup. It wasn't even my soup. He was very apologetic and as I rinsed the soup off my hat he said, "I always wondered why you put your camera under your hat." Bingo.

04-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I'd be happy to put my 1Ds2 + 24-105 up against your K20D + favorite lens and see which lasts the longest getting soaked any day. (I know people who have accidentally SUBMERGED theirs and they came out fine.)
I have read the same of the Pentax K10. I have never read of a K10 or K20 failing with a proper lens from water, even on the Maiden of the Mist . Also believe it or not, the rubber flaps on the Canons are not as good as the solid doors and seals of the Pentax. It been quoted in dpreview about the poor choice of using rubber flaps in other camera. And the Canon uses "rubber grommets around all controls provide full weathproofing," which is an older and not as affective or as resistant as the silicon system Pentax impliments for its sealing. In an Arctic expedition Canons failed left and right the lone K10 survived no problem. Also there is pro opinion that the Pentax K10 and K20 bodies (really) are the most thoroughly and strongly sealed cameras money can buy; even over the Oly E3. You can by tougher but not more weather resistance. And they have been tested. I have taken my old GX10 (just bought a K20 a month ago) in rain, hard rain, all day, no problems and this with a non-sealed lens, the kit lens I just protected the lens with plastic. Really the Pentax K10, K20 use as much and as good of weather-sealing as you can get; every hole has silicon seals, doors have locks for pressure sealing, every seam is sealed, the front/rear dials use some serious sealing them selves, so how could any be better? signed Pentax fanboy.

But I really believe it and have studied the schematic and service manual of the GX10 for hours (sad to say) and the only way water could get in if everything is working properly is to be under-water fairly deep for some time.

I bet both camera would survive the same to really tell the truth.

Last edited by jamesm007; 04-11-2009 at 10:15 PM.
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A little coffee? no problem.

Try this:

Click the photo to see more

A whole account of this event can be read HERE

Over 69,000 total shutter actuations and about 23,000 since the indecent, the shutter release as of last night is no longer working and locks up the camera. To the shop tomorrow.

The down side is that another photographer lent me his back up D80 and I must say that the Nikon shooters have it too easy. There is no comparison as to the AF speed. If my K100 is done I may have to revisit my allegiance to Pentax. In a field that is dominated by Nikon and Canon I only know of about four Pentax users in this realm. One of whom I personally steered to the Pentax line.

In a field that is very hard on equipment we're always looking toward our next purchase. I've had my eye on the K20 as my primary camera and relegate my K100 to back up status along with my Ist.

I shoot many events through the year and carry credentials for several traveling series including the World Racing Group (World of Oultaws) and others. I'm published weekly in various racing publications from the local to the national level. I carry credentials to and can be found at such nationally renowned racetracks as Lernerville Speedway, Pennsylvania Motor Speedway and, Tyler County Speedway etc. I stand side by side with the "heavy Hitters" of the profession with their Nikons and Canons and am contacted by guys starting out for my recommendations. Since I am not viewed as a "professional" photographer because I don't derive the bulk of my income from this endeavor I don't count. However my photos are seen by thousands of people weekly.

I contacted Pentax after this indecent and related my story. I told them how pleased I was with the durability of their equipment. Although I've tried to be an ambassador for the Pentax brand, they could not even be bothered to reply. A hat would have been nice.

FRANK

Last edited by FWW56; 04-12-2009 at 09:06 PM.
04-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
WOW now it has become completely water proof LOL
Im very sorry for what happen to your equipement, I saw you smiled in a picture, if it were me you wouldnt even see a bit of a smile in my face!!!
04-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FWW56 Quote

Try this:

Over 69,000 total shutter actuations and about 23,000 since the indecent, the shutter release as of last night is no longer working and locks up the camera. To the shop tomorrow.

The down side is that another photographer lent me his back up D80 and I must say that the Nikon shooters have it too easy. There is no comparison as to the AF speed. If my K100 is done I may have to revisit my allegiance to Pentax. In a field that is dominated by Nikon and Canon I only know of about four Pentax users in this realm. One of whom I personally steered to the Pentax line. I contacted Pentax after this indecent and related my story. I told them how pleased I was with the durability of their equipment. Although I've tried to be an ambassador for the Pentax brand, they could not even be bothered to reply. A hat would have been nice.

FRANK
Goodness man!

That makesme cringe looking at it. You did a heck-uv-a job cleaning it up and the camera still worked. Amazing!

04-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Try this:

The down side is that another photographer lent me his back up D80 and I must say that the Nikon shooters have it too easy. There is no comparison as to the AF speed. If my K100 is done I may have to revisit my allegiance to Pentax. In a field that is dominated by Nikon and Canon I only know of about four Pentax users in this realm. One of whom I personally steered to the Pentax line.

In a field that is very hard on equipment we're always looking toward our next purchase. I've had my eye on the K20 as my primary camera and relegate my K100 to back up status along with my Ist.

I shoot many events through the year and carry credentials for several traveling series including the World Racing Group (World of Oultaws) and others. I'm published weekly in various racing publications from the local to the national level. I carry credentials to and can be found at such nationally renowned racetracks as Lernerville Speedway, Pennsylvania Motor Speedway and, Tyler County Speedway etc. I stand side by side with the "heavy Hitters" of the profession with their Nikons and Canons and am contacted by guys starting out for my recommendations. Since I am not viewed as a "professional" photographer because I don't derive the bulk of my income from this endeavor I don't count. However my photos are seen by thousands of people weekly.

I contacted Pentax after this indecent and related my story. I told them how pleased I was with the durability of their equipment. Although I've tried to be an ambassador for the Pentax brand, they could not even be bothered to reply. A hat would have been nice.
Wow, amazing that it kept working after that incident. And it is even a K100 !
You should probably go for K200 or K20. (When getting the K20, you should experience a big improvement in AF).
Albert Siegel from this forum, sold his Pentax and went with the D80. But has now sold the Nikon and returned to Pentax.

How is the Metz 60 CT 4, compared to the Metz 58 ? Does the 60 also come in P-TTL ?

You talked in the link, about upgrading the flash at some point. What Metz would you replace it with, the mecablitz 45 CL-4 maybe ?

Last edited by Jonson PL; 04-13-2009 at 04:36 AM.
04-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
You should probably go for K200 or K20. (When getting the K20, you should experience a big improvement in AF).
Albert Siegel from this forum, sold his Pentax and went with the D80. But has now sold the Nikon and returned to Pentax.

How is the Metz 60 CT 4, compared to the Metz 58 ? Does the 60 also come in P-TTL ?
Here Here!

That is great news;

Cause Pentax rules!

I know everyone dont agree

But it is what best for me!
04-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote

You talked in the link, about upgrading the flash at some point. What Metz would you replace it with, the mecablitz 45 CL-4 maybe ?
Thank you for the comments.

I don't know about the Metz 58, I do have and occasionally use a Pro Master 7500DX, I prefer something other than a "hot shoe" flash due to the environment. According to the guide number the 58 and the 60CT4 should be similar, but the robust construction of the "hammerhead" style of the 45 CT/CL series and the 60 CT series have made these the flash units of choice for many. Something about a quarter inch bolt holding the flash to the camera instead of just a spindly slide on hot shoe I guess The hammerhead units feel a bit better balanced to me as well.

I already have and often use a 45 CL4. I tend to use it earlier in the evening as the light just begins to go down. I don't need as much light from the flash at that point and re-cycle times are less of an issue. Being on the other side of 50 yrs old makes the lighter weight of the 45 and not carrying a battery pack around an advantage too.

Once the sun goes completely down and I need more light from the flash, the 60CT4 goes on. I also get the added advantage of quicker re-cycle times when I need it with the larger battery pack.

I do have the appropriate connector and module for both the 45CL4 and the 60CT4 but have had spotty results when using them under these conditions. Too many variables with the wide range of car colors and reflections from the track lights, dark shadows etc,. My results have been very inconstant. Myself and most others using these Metz' systems typically have better results using the manual settings. Under different (better) conditions I've had much better results with the SCA system and P-TTL.

If your looking for the latest and the greatest, remember that the 45 series and the 60 series have been available for quite a few years and many feel that today's technology has past them by.

I would think the next logical upgrade path from Metz would be the 76 MZ-5 or the 45 CL4 digital.

FRANK
04-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Thank you for the comments.

I don't know about the Metz 58, I do have and occasionally use a Pro Master 7500DX, I prefer something other than a "hot shoe" flash due to the environment. According to the guide number the 58 and the 60CT4 should be similar, but the robust construction of the "hammerhead" style of the 45 CT/CL series and the 60 CT series have made these the flash units of choice for many. Something about a quarter inch bolt holding the flash to the camera instead of just a spindly slide on hot shoe I guess The hammerhead units feel a bit better balanced to me as well.

I already have and often use a 45 CL4. I tend to use it earlier in the evening as the light just begins to go down. I don't need as much light from the flash at that point and re-cycle times are less of an issue. Being on the other side of 50 yrs old makes the lighter weight of the 45 and not carrying a battery pack around an advantage too.

Once the sun goes completely down and I need more light from the flash, the 60CT4 goes on. I also get the added advantage of quicker re-cycle times when I need it with the larger battery pack.

I do have the appropriate connector and module for both the 45CL4 and the 60CT4 but have had spotty results when using them under these conditions. Too many variables with the wide range of car colors and reflections from the track lights, dark shadows etc,. My results have been very inconstant. Myself and most others using these Metz' systems typically have better results using the manual settings. Under different (better) conditions I've had much better results with the SCA system and P-TTL.

If your looking for the latest and the greatest, remember that the 45 series and the 60 series have been available for quite a few years and many feel that today's technology has past them by.

I would think the next logical upgrade path from Metz would be the 76 MZ-5 or the 45 CL4 digital.

I see your point regarding hotshoe. The way I treat my gear, I would also think a hammerhead would be a better choice for me.

Do you think Metz will bring out the 60 CT 4, in an updated digital SCA version ?

The mecablitz 76 MZ-5 digital, doesn’t seem to do HSS
04-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I didn't read the whole thread, but I gotta ask....was it good coffee, or just OK coffee?

If it was just OK coffee then I hope your camera is going to be OK.

If it was good coffee...well then, that's a total damn shame! Who would be that careless with their drink as to spill some of it? This is faaaar worse than spilling a beer... Far worse!

c[_]
04-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ohfrankyboy Quote
GRRRRR someone I know spilled some coffee on my K20D
If you guys would know how i felt and how I still feel!!!!!!
Now I got button that are harder to move and some that are more stickier and the button on and off on the battery grip is really hard to move and when I move to live view on the battery grip the button sticks there.

PLEASE KEEP ALL LIQUIDS AWAY FROM YOUR CAMERA!!!!!
A couple of times my K20 has fallen in the sand sea. To clean the salt I "washed" the K20 (with 16-50) in a light jet of water.
04-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I didn't read the whole thread, but I gotta ask....was it good coffee, or just OK coffee?

If it was just OK coffee then I hope your camera is going to be OK.

If it was good coffee...well then, that's a total damn shame! Who would be that careless with their drink as to spill some of it? This is faaaar worse than spilling a beer... Far worse!

LOL for me all coffee is bad, yes my camera is doing fine, the only thing is I have the memory card door that doesnt open by itself when I turn the handle, got to use my finger and my battery grip On and Off button is now more rough to turn

QuoteOriginally posted by Vinfer Quote
A couple of times my K20 has fallen in the sand sea. To clean the salt I "washed" the K20 (with 16-50) in a light jet of water.
Don't we love Pentax, being soooo weatherproof and coffee proof, muddy proof and now sand sea proof