Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

White Balance with 1 different Light Sources

I need some help with white balance when two diverse sources of light are present.
I was shooting today in a restaurant, and I noticed how, after I set up white balance on a white plate, everything in pictures turns out okay except the windows which are all blue, while it's actually sunny outside.
But then, if I turn pictures warmer so that outsides look normal, peoples' faces turn yellow - something I really don't want as it also makes everything yellowish and peoples' lips turn blood-red... Spooky

Is there any way of compromise, or, even better, to *somehow* treat outsides and insides separately?

An example of what I'm talking about: I've attached three pics, one is the plate I set up wb on, the next is a pic of the room with wb set on the plate and window all blue, the other one is corrected in PS so that window looks okay, but everything else is yellow

P.S. somehow I typed the name of this thread wrong, ignore the "1" thing~

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
someone is going to tell you to shoot in RAW
Pete
04-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
shoot in raw

you can then do both white balances blended together smoothly with a gradient.
04-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
shoot in raw

you can then do both white balances blended together smoothly with a gradient.
I do shoot in raw, coz I always forget to change wb settings after I change a place, and after I take a dozen picts, I'm like, "crap, that's not right!"
Can you please tell me how to blend balances, or, if it has already been discussed before, point to a thread that discusses it?

04-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
I need some help with white balance when two diverse sources of light are present.
I was shooting today in a restaurant, and I noticed how, after I set up white balance on a white plate, everything in pictures turns out okay except the windows which are all blue, while it's actually sunny outside.
But then, if I turn pictures warmer so that outsides look normal, peoples' faces turn yellow - something I really don't want as it also makes everything yellowish and peoples' lips turn blood-red... Spooky

Is there any way of compromise, or, even better, to *somehow* treat outsides and insides separately?

An example of what I'm talking about: I've attached three pics, one is the plate I set up wb on, the next is a pic of the room with wb set on the plate and window all blue, the other one is corrected in PS so that window looks okay, but everything else is yellow

P.S. somehow I typed the name of this thread wrong, ignore the "1" thing~
What you need to do is to decide if you want to include or not to include the window shoots on sunny days with your indoor WB settings. The camera is going to white balance what it is programed to. You could try to do a manual white balence by shooting a white wall that has both the sunlight and indoor light striking it at the same time. This may give some sort of compromise, I have never tried this but I will later today and get back with you. Shoot RAW and play with the WB setting until you come up with what you like. You are the photographer and it is what YOU like that matters.
04-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
DAZ
Veteran Member

Aaa yes, shoot RAW but that will not totally fix the problem. This is a good example of the fiction of WB. RAW will give you more control but if you have colors to far apart there is only so much you can do with only WB. You can try to strike a balance (no pun intended) to make the things in the room look good. Maybe going for a little cooler room with out the windows looking like some thing from a SciFi movie. After that it gets more complicated.

After the fact you are more limited. One thing you could try is use layers like WerTicus is talking about. WB the 2 layers for good color for what looks good at the extremes. Then use a softly blend at the points that the colors are close. This takes a little work but with a little practice you can do it so you canít see the blend. Shooting RAW will help in that you can almost always get the WB for the given layer right and give you overall more to work with. The more you do PP the better it is to shoot RAW. But this becomes working with what you have and making the best with it. This is why I shoot RAW and why I like my K20D. If I would like a JPG from the camera I can tell the camera to make a JPG from the PIF file but I canít do it the other way. But this is not total answer to your question so on to that.

From here the answers get a little more complicated. The first is always being aware of the lights locations and their colors. With the lights in mind take your photos accordingly. For windows for example try not the have them in the frame.

Next you could try to modify the seen. Cover the windows or turn off the lights and open the windows. For thinks like paid photo shoots that you have total control (and I donít think this is likely) you can put gels on the windows or the lights. This is what they do making movies.

Last you could add light but light you have more control of like a flash. For example one way to do this is using flash with gels the same as the lights in the room. Doing this you could brighten the room so the light coming in the windows is not so noticeable. You could go the other way and just use bare flash and match the window light. This way you could make everything in the room the correct color but the lights them self the lights would have a warm look to them that could make the room (from an emotional perspective) look warm. This could be a nice look.

There isnít one fix for all so having more tools in your photography toolbox is the best. How many you have is up to you but there are here are some. With a little practice each is not all that hard to learn or use.

DAZ
04-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
cut and paste the windows over the other image... use feather tool on the selection and it should blend in pretty well.
04-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
cut and paste the windows over the other image... use feather tool on the selection and it should blend in pretty well.
I tried, and I can *sorta* make the new, warm, window fit in the cold image, but then everything that reflected before from that outside light source is still blue... Anyway, I guess I'll just have to compromise while shooting (I'm not good at ps'ing at all, heh..), and pick a wb that makes both outsides and insides acceptable, or shoot from another angle so that windows don't show...
Thanks everybody for help!

04-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

why not just gennerate two seperate JPEG images and stack them in photoshop (or whatever, I use paint shop pro). Create a mask layer from one of the layers and blend in the parts you want from each?
04-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What you have to realize is that if you have two different types of light sources in your picture, there *will be* two different sets of colors. There are no magic settings that can change this fact; all you can do is decide what to do about it. You might as well take a picture of a US flag and ask what you can do abut the fact that part of it is red and part is blue. Well, part *is* red and part *is* blue. So while I'm sure in Photoshop you could indivually select each red stripe and turn it blue, there is no getting around around the fact that that flag was red. white, and blue. And it's the same with your picture lit by two different colors of light. Either accept it for what it is, turn it to B&W if you're looking for an easy way to get a picture that doens't have two different color schemes, or go in and select the areas you want to change the color of and change them individually, just as you would have to if you wanted to make the stripes on a flag blue.
04-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

pbo,

here is an example of what I was talking about. is this what you were trying to accomplish?
Attached Images

04-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes, that's what I meant. Guess I'll have to sharpen my ps skills