Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which Improvements to the Next Generation Pentax's

In my discussions with Pentax, I voiced some of my observations about the Pentax K10D and what I would like to see. These were rather simple and could be addressed in the next models. Unfortunately some of those suggestions cannot be addressed in Firmware updates. These changes must be implemented to convince other professionals that Pentax provides all of the expected solutions demanded by most pro's.

The first issue I discussed was the lack of an input for studio flash. That in my opinion was a flagrant oversight considering the simplicity of doing so.

The flash synchro could go as high as 1/250 th of a second, allowing those using fill flash outdoors to decrease their depth of field.

The AWB must be improved. There is no reason that the AWB cannot be closer to 5500k when rectifying mixed sources.

All of the lenses manufactured by Pentax should not have any BF or FF issues. There have been inconsistencies with the 21-Limited lens. This kind of insecurity associated with using this lens does not add to user confidence. The fear of the subject being out of focus while doing a pro shoot and being paid for it does not reflect well on the photographer, if the images are out of focus.

A shooting speed of 5 fps for intermediate models would help to convince those photographers shooting action, not to use the 3.3 fps excuse for not switching to Pentax. The high end version could shoot up to 7 fps.

Pentax may have to compete against Sony, Nikon and Canon in the larger sensor size arena. If the norm becomes FF or perhaps a 1.25 factor and it becomes the standard across the board, Pentax must be prepared to, either take the lead and do so at a price point that is reminiscent of the pro Canon or Nikon bodies that sold for around 2k dollars. I know that if Pentax were to go FF or 1.25, many pro's would consider them. As we all know, sensor size attracts certain profiles that feel insecure unless those criteria are satisfied.

A Pentax body without integral flash. Most pro's use off camera flash and rarely use the flash provided with the camera. Perhaps the intermediate bodies could integrate the flash in to camera.

Improve the "SR" as well as the sensor cleaning mechanism.

The capacity to choose to shoot from 50-3200 iso with an option to go to 6400 iso with improved noise performance.

That would do nicely for my own use...You can add your own.

Other than that, the K10D is almost perfect.

Last edited by benjikan; 04-11-2007 at 01:34 PM.
04-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone make a 35mm form factor DSLR with interchangable viewfinders, ala the Pentax LX. If not this could be one great selling-point to move a high-end Pentax DSLR into the "Pro" realm. It could also be a possible solution to the integral flash issue. One viewfinder could include a small fill flash for those who want it. It would be nice to have different viewfinders suited to different specialties. High-end? Yes, but it'd probably be something unique.
04-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Ben, how do you go around the lack of studio flash input cable?
04-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two solutions...

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
Ben, how do you go around the lack of studio flash input cable?
I use a radio remote on my hotshoe. I also have a couple of "Hama" hotshoe cubes with Flash X Synchro input.

04-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I use a radio remote on my hotshoe. I also have a couple of "Hama" hotshoe cubes with Flash X Synchro input.
Awesome -- I'm just now getting into studio work and have 0 experience. I am self-taught and eager!

04-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

* I like the ISO part, starting from ISO50. Then I would be happy if if it got better at ISO800... No banding, no non-random noise is more important than extreme high ISO values.
* No flash but instead a wireless trigger mechanism.
* A super silent mode with a whispering mirror, maybe slower to work with and a short lag, that would be very cool.
* live digital preview with a tiltable (swirlable?) screen, the preview should be affected by exposure settings and zooming in should be possible

The rest of the points mentioned... well, I don't need that. At the same time I don't mind them either...

that's all,
04-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hama

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
Awesome -- I'm just now getting into studio work and have 0 experience. I am self-taught and eager!

Just type in to Google "Hama" Hotshoe Synchro X Adapter...They sell for around $15...

04-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Does anyone make a 35mm form factor DSLR with interchangable viewfinders, ala the Pentax LX. If not this could be one great selling-point to move a high-end Pentax DSLR into the "Pro" realm. It could also be a possible solution to the integral flash issue. One viewfinder could include a small fill flash for those who want it. It would be nice to have different viewfinders suited to different specialties. High-end? Yes, but it'd probably be something unique.
K10D does have an interchangeable viewfinder. I like a grid in the viewfinder. I'd prefer the Nikon D80s grid though... no need to replace the viewfinder it's done digitally.
04-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Inactive Account

A few features I would like to see:

1. Better dust control. This is a widespread problem with digital cameras. You can be sure that other manufacturers will press forward with this, as evidenced in the Canon Rebel XTi.

2. Better viewfinder with 100% image coverage, higher magnification, and viewfinder screen that allows easier manual focusing (even if it is "grainier" and not as bright). I would also like a grid on the focusing screen (without buying an extra screen).

3. Slightly larger sensor at the same resolution (10 MP) to permit lower noise at high ISO. A sensor that give a 1.3 crop factor would be reasonable, and the DA lenses would probably still cover the frame. This would also help with the viewfinder issues.

4. ISO to 3200 with low noise. Nikon and Canon seem to be able to do this.

5. User-replacable plastic scratch shield over the rear LCD. Nikon has this on some models.

6. Mechanical linkage to read the aperture off of K and M lenses, to permit aperture priority exposure with those lenses (but I'm sure that this will never happen).
04-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Christian,

I mean a totally interchangable top section, not just the focusing screen. Check out the old LXs for what I mean. Normal pentaprism viewfinder, waist-level finder, magnifier type, projection type (for when you cant get right up to the viewfinder) etc...

Here is a pic of just 2 of the 8 possible viewfinders...
Attachment 2115

This is a feature found on most medium-format cameras (Hassleblad, Mamiya, Bronica, etc).

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-05-2007 at 09:58 AM.
04-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey Ben speaking of firmware you got any advanced knowledge of when the next update will be? I'm waiting to see what new fangled improvements there will be, but I guess it can't be too far away since we need an upgrade to use the new lenses due in June.
04-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would go for the lack of builtin flash, but want 100% viewfinder coverage. Tired of getting stuff in pic that couldn't be seen. Don't care if camera shoots faster, but want a bigger buffer for more raw shots before it slows down. Would love an optional focus screen that is a split image. Twin SD cards that could be used at the same time or serially would be nice. Also put a mark on the camera body that provides the exact placement of the imaging sensor. My Olympus E300 (consumer cam) even has it. Can't cost 50 cents. Very useful for technical photography. Bring out a model converted for infrared! Don't let Fuji& Canon get all the business.
thanks
barondla
04-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Christian,

I mean a totally interchangable top section, not just the focusing screen. Check out the old LXs for what I mean. Normal pentaprism viewfinder, waist-level finder, magnifier type, projection type (for when you cant get right up to the viewfinder) etc...

Here is a pic of just 2 of the 8 possible viewfinders...
Attachment 2115

This is a feature found on most medium-format cameras (Hassleblad, Mamiya, Bronica, etc).
Oh... I see!
04-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tell You Next Week

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Hey Ben speaking of firmware you got any advanced knowledge of when the next update will be? I'm waiting to see what new fangled improvements there will be, but I guess it can't be too far away since we need an upgrade to use the new lenses due in June.
As I will see them shortly, I will broach the topic. Hopefully they will have something to tell me.

Ben
04-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
Inactive Account

spot metering linked to selected focus point