Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitions: The only stupid question is the one not asked...

I need some terms defined. There are a couple that are popping up on the forum I don't know, so...

This one think I've figured out; LBA- that means "Lens Buying Addiction" right?

but what about "Bokeh"? What is tat? I've seen it referring to lenses, and I think to has to do with sharpness or some kind of lens effect...?

Little help for a new guy?

slinky

04-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bokeh/Boke, pronounced like bouquet. It's the quality of the out of focus areas in a photograph-specifically the area in front of the near DoF and behind the rear DoF; but sometimes everything in front of and behind the point of focus. This quality depends on several factors: the light, the subject and foreground/background, the lens quality especially the shape and number of blades in the aperture mechanism.

Some think it should have a creamy blended look. Some lens's have it some don't.
04-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #3

jfdavis58 said it. Important to note is that what good bokeh is, is highly subjective. You might like the lens a bokeh, while I prefer lens b. It's not a science.
04-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

slinky

04-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Bokeh/Boke, pronounced like bouquet.
Not to nit pick, but "bouquet" is correctly pronounced "boo-kay". Bokeh is pronounced like "bo-kay", though.

Hey, I did not take 4 years of French for nuthin'.

Funny thing, the very first time I read the word "bokeh", I thought the poster mis-used and mis-spelled bouquet - like a quality of wine - to describe the lens...
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right bo over boo; but I took german and spanish and speak a sort of dialect of english.

And until sombody explained Bokeh to me I just thought that was the out of focus/out of DoF part and I rarely looked 'beyond' the subject in such photos. Hey if it's blurred I was meant to look there anyway, right?!?!?

Several years ago a friend who shoots exclusively B&W pushed several stops started a similar pronunciation discussion; it's will be interesting if this thread takes on as much life.
04-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I should have prefaced it that Americans, at least, mis-pronounce bouquet, among many other words :-)

But, we say "boutique" correctly, as "boo-teek". Go figure.

04-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Bokeh/Boke, pronounced like bouquet. It's the quality of the out of focus areas in a photograph-specifically the area in front of the near DoF and behind the rear DoF; but sometimes everything in front of and behind the point of focus. This quality depends on several factors: the light, the subject and foreground/background, the lens quality especially the shape and number of blades in the aperture mechanism.

Some think it should have a creamy blended look. Some lens's have it some don't.
just in case he didn't know..... DOF = depth of field it is, in this case, isn't it?
04-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Not to nit pick, but "bouquet" is correctly pronounced "boo-kay". Bokeh is pronounced like "bo-kay", though.

Hey, I did not take 4 years of French for nuthin'.

Funny thing, the very first time I read the word "bokeh", I thought the poster mis-used and mis-spelled bouquet - like a quality of wine - to describe the lens...
Actually, Bokeh is a Japanese word, and broken down, I believe is pronounced bo, as in bot, and the keh as in ké as in a short e not a long e, like the small e you learn as a child at school and in the word pet.
04-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
But, we [Americans] say "boutique" correctly, as "boo-teek". Go figure.
Well, I don't doubt that everybody in southern California pronounces "boutique" like a Parisian. But you'll have to visit Texas sometime. ;-)

Will
04-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
Actually, Bokeh is a Japanese word, and broken down, I believe is pronounced bo, as in bot, and the keh as in ké as in a short e not a long e, like the small e you learn as a child at school and in the word pet.
Almost The "bo" is actually pronounced like "boat". "Keh" is just as you wrote.

Funny thing is, in Japanese, "boke/h" is more commonly used to describe a person as an "idiot", more so in a duo comedy act.
04-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
Almost The "bo" is actually pronounced like "boat". "Keh" is just as you wrote.

Funny thing is, in Japanese, "boke/h" is more commonly used to describe a person as an "idiot", more so in a duo comedy act.
I am not so sure. I have seen sources tout that the 'bo' part is to be pronounced as in 'bot'. Thinking about how the Japanese talk, I would have thought that this was the case rather than the way it is said in 'boat'. In otherwords, both vowels are the shortened versions. Here is an excerpt describing the pronunciation:
"A term borrowed from the Japanese, pronounced with short vowels. (ie: more like French pronunciation - bo-ké - versus long English diphthongs - bow-kay.)"
If 'bo' were to be pronounced as in 'boat' that would be similar to 'bow' as described above which they say is not the correct pronunciation, but needs to be the short vowel version as in 'bot'.

It might be nice to find someone Japanese who can settle this debate!
04-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It might be nice to find someone Japanese who can settle this debate!
Just in case my name wasn't a clue, I'm Japanese
04-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
Just in case my name wasn't a clue, I'm Japanese
Born and bred in the US?

Are there differing ways to speak Japanese like there are differing ways to speak English? Like tomato, potato etc.

From the sources I have seen, bokeh has shown to be pronounced the way I have intimated, so who's right?
04-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Born and bred in the US?

Are there differing ways to speak Japanese like there are differing ways to speak English? Like tomato, potato etc.

From the sources I have seen, bokeh has shown to be pronounced the way I have intimated, so who's right?

Well, according to my dictionary it's pronounced as b??k? which is Bow-kay. I suppose it is another case of ta-mate-oh vs. ta-mot-oh but at least that one has both versions in the dictionary

Edit: The special characters are not showing up but it should look something like this bö'kä, instead of 2 dots it should be a straight line across the top of the letter.

Last edited by Photochop; 04-11-2007 at 11:51 PM.