Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
This quality depends on several factors: the light, the subject and foreground/background, the lens quality especially the shape and number of blades in the aperture mechanism.
It is effected by the number of aperture blades but not dependent on it, for example you cannot look and go, that lens will produce bad bokeh because it only has 6 aperture blades, and that one will produce great bokeh because it has 9.

It doesn't always work that way, and mainly because when a lens is wide open the aperture blades have no effect, so the bokeh for the two lenses would the be theoretically the same. The way that aperture blades effect bokeh is when stopped down, so a lens with 6 rounded blades would produce a more circular bokeh then a 9 bladed straight aperture. Aperture blades have an effect but it is minimal compared to the overall construction of the lens, the best way to test it is to put it on the camera and take a couple of shots, rather then dismiss the lens based on the quoted aperture blades in the specs.

04-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
Well, according to my dictionary it's pronounced as b??k? which is Bow-kay. I suppose it is another case of ta-mate-oh vs. ta-mot-oh but at least that one has both versions in the dictionary
Ah yes, how does the song go? You say ta-mate-oh and I say ta-mar-toh, you say pa-tate-oh and I say pa-tar-toh etc...
04-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
Born and bred in the US?

Are there differing ways to speak Japanese like there are differing ways to speak English? Like tomato, potato etc.

From the sources I have seen, bokeh has shown to be pronounced the way I have intimated, so who's right?
Born and raised in SF

There are indeed different dialects (mostly in the country area and a bit of slang), but mainstream Japanese would certainly use the pronounciation I mentioned since the Japanese character would be a "bo" as in boat pronounciation. "Bo" as in bot would have a completely different Japanese character. I've never heard it pronounced the other way while in Japan, watching Japanese shows, or casually using it with friends.

*Edit* To the original poster, sorry for getting a bit off-topic!
04-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #19
Inactive Account

While we are at it, can I ask a question too? What is CA? I've seen LBA refered to as Lens Buyers Anonymous. So which is it?

04-12-2007, 01:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I pronounce bokeh like this - "the out of focus bit".
CA, I believe = chromatic aberration aka. purple fringing.

Just ask anyone who doesn't live in the USA, Americans pronounce EVERY word incorrectly!!
04-12-2007, 02:59 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Just ask anyone who doesn't live in the USA, Americans pronounce EVERY word incorrectly!!
We need a laughing smiley rolling on the floor!
04-12-2007, 04:04 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I pronounce bokeh like this - "the out of focus bit".
CA, I believe = chromatic aberration aka. purple fringing.
Now you are getting into dangerous territory, CA and purple fringing are different things, the CA, either a Blue/yellow fringe on edges, or Green/magenta is caused by lens defects. Purple fringing is caused by CA of the micro Lenses on the CCD, coupled with Over exposure and pixels that have saturated and bled their charge into surrounding pixels.

04-12-2007, 06:00 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I lived in Japan for six years and taught Japanese for ten years after that back here in Oz but I am not Japanese. Sooooo I can't resist adding my 5yen.

Everyone is partly right but in making comparisons to a word in another language it then depends on how the writer pronounces that word.

bo = /bo/ in bop and ke(h) = /ke/ in Ken, which incidentally is also a Japanese male first name.

(The h is sometimes used to transcribe the Japanese sound, as a final e when put into English causes the vowel to be mispronounced by first language English readers by generalising the rule from their first language e.g. ton/tone, sit/site, tam/tame etc)
04-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, and to some extent, the pronounciation lesson...
04-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

english

QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
Born and bred in the US?

Are there differing ways to speak Japanese like there are differing ways to speak English? Like tomato, potato etc.

From the sources I have seen, bokeh has shown to be pronounced the way I have intimated, so who's right?

Only the one way to speak English as far as I know. The other language to which you may be referring is thought of on this side of the pond as "American"
Just my £0.02p worth.
04-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
Only the one way to speak English as far as I know. The other language to which you may be referring is thought of on this side of the pond as "American"
Just my £0.02p worth.
That, from a Scot???
04-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #27
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Well, I don't doubt that everybody in southern California pronounces "boutique" like a Parisian. But you'll have to visit Texas sometime. ;-)

Will

Having lived in Texas for almost 30 years, I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I read that.
04-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
Almost The "bo" is actually pronounced like "boat". "Keh" is just as you wrote.

Funny thing is, in Japanese, "boke/h" is more commonly used to describe a person as an "idiot", more so in a duo comedy act.
My sister, who speaks fluent Japanese and frequently travels there on business says it means blurred or fuzzy, and is sometimes used to describe being jet lagged I didn't ask her how it's pronounced.

NaCl(in that case my boss thinks I'm bokeh more often than not! )H2O
04-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
My sister, who speaks fluent Japanese and frequently travels there on business says it means blurred or fuzzy, and is sometimes used to describe being jet lagged I didn't ask her how it's pronounced.

NaCl(in that case my boss thinks I'm bokeh more often than not! )H2O
It really depends on the context and situation it's used in. If you're talking about photography boke can be used to describe the blur. If a person seems like they're spacing out, you can say boketeru.
04-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I thought it was a term coming from Japanese painting (something about a way to paint blur by holding the paintbrush in a certain way). Then I also have seen the other meanings it can have.

But what is bokeh? I had my take on it here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/3634-answer-questi...html#post30086

and it was further discussed here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/4006-lens-bokeh.html