Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

*istD shutter frozen

My old istD (given to a relative) has developed a fault. The camera appears to work OK (metering, autofocus, etc.) but when the shutter is fired, the mirror lifts but the shutter doesn't operate. The main batteries are OK but the backup battery (lithium cell) has never been changed and the camera is over 5 years old (it still registers 3V on a voltmeter but I can't test the current delivery). Before I venture out to try and find a replacement, does anyone know if the failure of this battery can knock out the shutter operation, since it is related to timing, i.e. the clock setting?

John

04-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange behavior, but as you said, the little backup (coin type) battery has never been replaced. I would do so since it will be a cheap solution.

On my istD I recall once happening of stuck open shutter and could track it down to "faulty" batteries. Once I replaced my batteries for new Energizers, it never did it again.
04-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Strange behavior, but as you said, the little backup (coin type) battery has never been replaced. I would do so since it will be a cheap solution.

On my istD I recall once happening of stuck open shutter and could track it down to "faulty" batteries. Once I replaced my batteries for new Energizers, it never did it again.
The istD was prone to all sorts of strange behaviours if one of the main batteries wasn't quite right. I eventually went to the really expensive CR2V batteries in mine and never had a problem with the camera again.
I suspect Lithium AAs would be a good battery, but I gave up on rechargables in my istD simply because they didn't give reliable performance.
The first thing to do with an istD that is perfoming strangely is to put new batteries (not freshly recharged batteries that were in it when it started acting up) into it.
Changing the button battery is a good idea after five years as well.
04-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Decided to reinstall the firmware and lo and behold the camera now works OK. Thanks for your comments.

John

05-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The latest news is that, during a photo session today, the user accidentally pressed the flash button on the top plate a number of time after which the camera went into the frozen shutter mode again. Since the flash appeared to have been involved in the earlier incident, I suggested firing a flash shot off, which she did, and the shutter worked again. I assume therefore that the camera was waiting for some sort of flash complete message before completing the exposure but could not get it because the flash was not raised and could not fire. However, pressing the flash button again did not cause the fault to recur, so something maybe amiss. Will keep you posted!

John