Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shutter problem with k100d...

My K100D is with my mom now, and she's in Vienna so I can't check on my own, but it seems that the shutter won't AF or take a picture. The switch if on AF, the batteries are full (asked her to replace it and still no go), the dial is in autopic mode, when she presses the digital preview switch, it works, only the shutter doesn't work... any ideas? She's kinda desperate now since she'll be going to the snow capped mountains tomorrow and wouldn't want to miss a shot...

04-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is it possible she is using a lens with an aperture ring that is not in the "A" position?
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nope, she doesn't even know how to remove the lens. she's using the kit lens... digital preview worked so I doubt it's the shutter itself... i asked her to format the card and recharge the batteries and try again... still nothing.
04-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Damn Brit

It's relatively easy to knock the AF switch out of position and have it appear to be set. Have her try toggling it off and on a few times.

04-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
NKK
Inactive Account

I have the same issue with my K100d.
Unfortunatly i have not found the solution, or a 100% positive workaround

Sometimes it works to take the lens off and put another one on, other times i change the batteries. Now its about 3-4 weeks since it happend last time.
So if anyone have a solution to leadbelly's problem, it would be very nice with a fix to this anoying problem.
07-18-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
NKK
Inactive Account

Follow up

I thought i would follow up on this problem.

I have experienced the problem several times, but the other day it went totally crazy and i could not make the shutter work in any way.

So after finding where to send the camera to service, i searched the internet and found this thread:
K100D Problem - FixYa

Here is what solved the problem for me, so i did not have to send the camera to service right now:

Jun 30, 2008- I've was having the same problem off and on for past 3 months--I thought I had somehow damaged the camera. This is what I did to fix the problem: remove the lens and while looking at the camera from the front, locate the silver vertical pin on the lift side of the camera, just inside of the silver lens mounting ring. And lightly slide the black plastic piece which is on the silver vertical pin downward. My guess is that when removing and replacing a lens, this apparatus may come misplaced. Good luck--Jeff-

It solved it for me, and now the shutter works again.
So now i will give it a try and see how long it takes before i experience it again, before deciding if i will have my k100d send to service

Last edited by NKK; 07-18-2009 at 12:47 AM.