Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Flash tips

I just purchased my first external flash unit, a 360. I thought it might be a good idea to create this thread for us to share tips on flash photography, and seek advice.

To start off, can someone explain how the Zoom on the flash works? I noticed that the reading on the flash isn't my lens' focal length, why?

Also, why does it go into Manual zoom mode when i flip down the diffuser?

Thanks, Peter.

04-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

zoom on the flash head doesnt really match up to the actual lens Focal Le.
stops @ 58 i think (on my 540 anyway)as far as anything else behind it. i really dont know..:ugh:

and for the diffuser...when flipped down it zooms back to it's widest setting.
spose to um...spread the light out more in closer situations (i think ). an after market diffuser would work better ( like a stofen)

I usually bounce......bounce, bounce bounce.....
if there is something to bounce it off of...i bounce it. better results.

it's really fun when you start using manual lenses.....
04-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have 360 and the focal lenght displayed on flash is the 35mm equivalent to the focal lenght of 1.5 crop sensor.
04-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nystateofmind27 Quote
I just purchased my first external flash unit, a 360. I thought it might be a good idea to create this thread for us to share tips on flash photography, and seek advice.

To start off, can someone explain how the Zoom on the flash works? I noticed that the reading on the flash isn't my lens' focal length, why?

Also, why does it go into Manual zoom mode when i flip down the diffuser?

Thanks, Peter.
First piece of advice i an give, avoid pointing the flash at the subject you intend to take the photo of, always bounce it off the ceiling.

The zoom focuses the flash so it will cover the area of view that the lens does, this enables the lens to function more efficiently.

The Diffuser that comes with the flash is a wide angle diffuser, is spreads the flash out so it can be used with wider lenses.

04-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
zoom on the flash head doesnt really match up to the actual lens Focal Le.
stops @ 58 i think (on my 540 anyway)as far as anything else behind it. i really dont know..:ugh:

and for the diffuser...when flipped down it zooms back to it's widest setting.
spose to um...spread the light out more in closer situations (i think ). an after market diffuser would work better ( like a stofen)

I usually bounce......bounce, bounce bounce.....
if there is something to bounce it off of...i bounce it. better results.

it's really fun when you start using manual lenses.....
I have had a long discussion with Pentax about this issue (flash zoom length and lens focal length)

It seems that the flash on some lenses displays the lens focal length, and on other lenses it displays the effective (35mm equivelent) focal length for the cropped sensor.

In the end, I don't care as long as the flash coverage is correct for the focal length, and providing that power is not wasted by too wide a coverage (although some of my friends like the indirect lighting that results)

In the end, I don't bother looking unless I am using a K mount lens, and want to insure that I have the correct length selected.

to that end, perhaps a software modification is in order. When you mount a non automatic lens (K mount) on the K10D you are prompted at power up for focal length. Why can't the camera set the flash to this length?
04-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

it's because the older lenses are stupid. they don't talk to the body or the flash. they're mute.