Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Pentaxian

To be or not to be...a Pentaxian?

I'm thinking of getting a new Pentax KM...tomorrow. I have had Pentax SLR's for 41 years.

Presently have a K10D, 16-45, 50 f1.4, 55-300, 360 flash. Very happy with them.

Want the KM as a carry around and as a second body for the K10D...I take a lot of pix.

Still worried in the back of my mind ...will Pentax be around in 1 year...2years///5 years ?

I know...who knows...will GM be around or Ford ?

Anyways any last minute recommendations as to be honest I've also thought of getting a Nikon D60 with 18-55...in case I have to start over...if Pentax goes.

What do you think ?

BTW I'm not trashing Pentax...my K10D works perfectly and I've been a Pentaxian before there was such a word...way before...but I'm retired and wondering should I spread my risk ?

04-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go for it! It really makes no sense to have 2 systems when all you're wanting the second body for is to back up the K10. Even if Pentax were to go away, it's not like your bodies would quit working anytime soon (short of being dropped off a cliff or something)--I mean that there are still plenty of Minolta DSLR bodies that are working just fine.

HTH,
Heather
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you do go and get something from the dark side, I'd skip the D60 and get a body with a built in focusing motor to get some backwards compatibility. (The D40, D40x and D60 all lack one and will only autofocus with newer AF-S lenses.)
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm thinking of getting a new Pentax KM...tomorrow. I have had Pentax SLR's for 41 years.

Presently have a K10D, 16-45, 50 f1.4, 55-300, 360 flash. Very happy with them.

Want the KM as a carry around and as a second body for the K10D...I take a lot of pix.

Still worried in the back of my mind ...will Pentax be around in 1 year...2years///5 years ?

I know...who knows...will GM be around or Ford ?

Anyways any last minute recommendations as to be honest I've also thought of getting a Nikon D60 with 18-55...in case I have to start over...if Pentax goes.

What do you think ?

BTW I'm not trashing Pentax...my K10D works perfectly and I've been a Pentaxian before there was such a word...way before...but I'm retired and wondering should I spread my risk ?
Truth be told, even if you need warranty work done and Pentax folds, companies often have that taken care of by a third-party if they have a parent company doing the 'folding', as Pentax would, with Hoya. And there are enough K-mount lenses out there right now to keep you happy for he rest of your life - not to mention the fact that if Pentax folds, almost all K-mount lenses will probably be going at fire-sale prices for a while as people jump ship, so you could load up then.

This is worst-case scenario - just trying to say that if Pentax the company goes away, if affects you less than you may think.

But they're not going away.

04-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
If you do go and get something from the dark side, I'd skip the D60 and get a body with a built in focusing motor to get some backwards compatibility. (The D40, D40x and D60 all lack one and will only autofocus with newer AF-S lenses.)
And yes, skip the D40/60 and pick up a D80 or D90 instead, if you do go dark-side.
04-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Damn Brit

If Pentax were to fold, I'm sure Samsung would attempt to fill the breach.
04-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If Pentax were to fold, I'm sure Samsung would attempt to fill the breach.
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung eventually takes Pentax under it's wing. I don't think that would be a bad thing as long as Pentax continues to develop it's DSLR line and lenses.
04-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Keep your Pentax system, but if you really want to try out the dark side, go for the Nikon N90 instead. With the kit lens of 18-105mm, the distance is good enough

04-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #9

I have seen that Hoya is restructuring, but most companies are going though issues in the current economic crisis. Or can someone point me towards and article stating otherwise.

As a side note, I've always wondered shy Pentax doesn't advertise like Canon and Nikon.
04-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Simple... $$$

It'd be a total pissing match if Pentax tried to advertise on the scale of Canon and Nikon with probably very little to gain in the long run...

QuoteOriginally posted by carljmi Quote
As a side note, I've always wondered shy Pentax doesn't advertise like Canon and Nikon.
04-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, you have no guarantees that Nikon will be around forever, either. In this economy, anything goes. At least with Pentax, you know there will always be a market for selling your lenses (due to all of us film shooters), so I think it's safer to stick with Pentax. If you do switch, skip the D40/D60 - they're dead-end bodies. Go for the D80/D90 at minimum.
04-09-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
emr

Do you plan to get lots of new lenses? If you don't, I see getting another Pentax body as reducing and not increasing investment risk. You have three pretty good lenses and if one body breaks, you still have another even if Pentax as a company or brand was there no more.

If you're planning to invest heavily in new lenses, then changing the brand (and investing in FF capable lenses only) is a reasonable option.
04-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Do you plan to get lots of new lenses? If you don't, I see getting another Pentax body as reducing and not increasing investment risk. You have three pretty good lenses and if one body breaks, you still have another even if Pentax as a company or brand was there no more.

If you're planning to invest heavily in new lenses, then changing the brand (and investing in FF capable lenses only) is a reasonable option.
I also have a 35-105 A Zoom (excellent), 50 macro, 28 W/A, 135, 3.5 telephoto...couple of 50 mm's...from my film days...that 3-105 Zoom A is wonderful..cost me $ 375 (Cdn.) back in '84...but the pictures and the build quality..wow.
04-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In wild economic time like this any of the camera manufacturers could go under. Just being bigger like Canon or Nikon doesn't insure that they will be around in a year or 2 either. Pentax is an old and respected brand and if Hoya doesn't want to be in the camera business anymore it will more than likely sell it rather than just liquidate and close up shop.
04-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
emr

I also have a 35-105 A Zoom (excellent), 50 macro, 28 W/A, 135, 3.5 telephoto...couple of 50 mm's...
Well, I think you already know the answer.