Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
ist D or ist Ds

I am looking at both and wonder which is prefered. Neither have been used very much.

Thanks

Steve N

04-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

DS

QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
I am looking at both and wonder which is prefered. Neither have been used very much.

Thanks

Steve N
If you have to choose one between the two. I have no hesitation to recommend the DS, which I had been using for long, which replaced my *ist D which I had also been used for taking many photos.

*ist DS has better image quality over the D afterall, in particular the colour rendition. For the jpegs, they both produce very soft ones.
04-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote

Thanks

Steve N
There both pretty similar. The D has a few features that were left out of the DS..
D has a PC sync socket for studio type flashes and the double wheels for adjusting ap and speed.
I use a k200D and still miss the 2 wheels on the D.
Ds had some speed improvements in file processing (D is quite slow in modern standards).
The D has a strong AA filter making it relatively moire free but images appear soft till you sharpen them and then they truely shine... I still love the image quality of the D as compared to the k200d but it is new and used at work so I have less familiarity with it...
The D is a very simple camera to operate.....
04-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #4

I picked the DS due to the use of SD cards. Further DS is the newer generation product compared to D. I have 2 DS bodies and have no regrets.

04-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the come back. I know the decision is mine, but to hear others' experiences sometimes gives better foundation for thought.

Thank you all again,

Steve N
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have the ist DS and let me tell you it's a great little gem, very ergonomic and comfortable. Then I bought a K20D, which just seems slightly bulky in comparison--but that's besides the point.

If you like using AA lithium batteries then it is a good choice, no need to worry about having to charge them.

Have a look here: *ist DS vs. *ist D - Photo.net Pentax Forum
04-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

what about the DL?

04-09-2009, 02:42 AM   #8

DL is very good, too. But there are no AF-Points in the viewfinder and less AF-metering fields. The Penta-mirror-viewfinder is very good, too.

If you like DL, get an *ist DL2. But I donīt know, whether she was selled in the United States. Itīs a japanese model, which Pentax later decided to sell it in Europe, too. So, I got one, for friendly 399,00EUR at Amazon.de.

If you like manual Focusing, *ist DS/DS2 is not needed.
04-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
what about the DL?
At this point, probably the only model with *nothing* to recommend it. It's a K100D without SR, or a DS without the nice pentaprism viewfinder, and no advantages over either. Oh, K110D is similarly a camera without a reason, too.
04-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the only thing you need to consider, as far as I am concerned in going for a 6 MP body at this point in time is insuring you get one with TTL flash.

I know the D and Ds both support it, but I am not so sure about the DL.

None of the other bodies support it, that is clear.

My view is the D is the best body, i.e. same interface as K10D and K20D, dual wheels green button etc. but it is sllloooowwww
04-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

either one...you can't go wrong.

Tough choice, but either the D or DS are really nice cameras. I have both. As already mentioned, they both support ttl flash....something I really like. I tried the DL2 for a while....(actually it was the samsung version gx-1L) and just didn't like the p-ttl flash. Seems the pre-flash always resulted in one of my kids eyes being closed in the image. Thus, it was short lived in my bag.

As mention, the D is a bit sloooowww but unless you like to fire off several frames in rapid succession, you learn to adapt. With upgraded firmware, you can use 4GB cards. I even have a sd/cf adapter and can use my sdhc memory cards.

They do fit differently in your right hand too....the D is a bit more rounded where as the DS has a slightly sharper edge to it. (is that a good way to describe it?)

Anyways, both will give you nice images, and are lots of fun to use.

Best of luck.

-mark
04-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input, it boils down to which one I can get the better deal. Though I think I'm leaning more to the "D". Speed is not very important to me. I do mostly landscape/wildlife.

Steve N
04-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #13

Hi, I had both the D and the DS.

Like others said, the DS is faster at writing...noticeably faster, especially when shooting continuous.

The D has a lot more buttons and dials, which is nice, especially metering mode and AF point. The DS requires going into the main menu to do so.

The DS does external flash compensation within the body, while the D cannot.

One final annoying thing about the D is setting ISO. On the DS, you just use the Fn button, but for the D, you have to turn the mode dial to ISO, change the ISO, then switch back to the right exposure mode.

The D and DS have different grip shapes, with the DS having a bigger grip; I know some reviewers complained about the grip on the D, but I thought it was fine and kind of felt more "retro".

I felt the image quality was pretty similar in both cameras.

Hope this helps.
04-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #14

D or DS

Steve,
This may be too late to help you. If so, let us know what you did and whether you're happy with your choice.
I chose the DS. Primary motivator was that is was a 'new' camera and came with the Pentax warranty. It was actually a demo, purchased from Ritz/Wolfe. Anyway, needed the warranty service as the manual focus was 'off' - Pentax honored the warranty and fixed it no charge. I was actually looking for a DS2 (better LCD screen) but the DS with the warranty became a deal.
I wanted the prism finder vs the mirror thing for manual focus. I'm still considering getting a split image/microprism screen - haven't done it yet.
Camera was not purchased with the intent to be a walk around camera - I have a Panasonic TZ-1 that fills that need quite well (for me). I needed something to digitize some old 35mm slides. Couple with an old M42 bellows and M42 Takumar 105/2.8 (from old Spotmatic days) and go to it. Worked pretty well once I worked through dust issues, focusing issues, lighting issues, opal glass issues. A story in itself. To date, I've done 2000+ slides with varying degrees of success.
I'm beginning to really enjoy the camera. Putting different lenses on it (old M42 stuff) is a lot of fun. So far I've tried a drawer full of old Pentax stuff, plus an old Meyer 180/3.5 and a Carl Zeiss 50/3.5. Most fun was an old Takumar 50/1.4 - which prompted me to buy a Pentax-A 50/1.4 - should arrive this week. My conclusion is that the old lenses are still good lenses, but clumsy to use. The DA kit lenses are fine, but lack in aperture. The DA 18-55 is 3.5-5.6, and the DA 50-200 I bought is only 4-5.6 - kinda small and light. The DA 50-200 is almost unusable at the 200 focal length due to camera shake. My Meyer 180/3.5 is much more massive and gives less camera jiggle - handheld at 1/60 works.
Regrets? I suspect I'm going start using the DS as my walk around camera, and am going to miss the SR feature on my TZ-1 and some of the newer Pentax DSLRs. I just may have to upgrade in the future.
Enough for now!
04-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the only thing you need to consider, as far as I am concerned in going for a 6 MP body at this point in time is insuring you get one with TTL flash.

I know the D and Ds both support it, but I am not so sure about the DL.

None of the other bodies support it, that is clear.

My view is the D is the best body, i.e. same interface as K10D and K20D, dual wheels green button etc. but it is sllloooowwww
How slow and in what way?