Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well its very possible we got the km logic for our k20d's auto focus but wouldn't pentax have probably mentioned that in the patch notes?

04-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
well its very possible we got the km logic for our k20d's auto focus but wouldn't pentax have probably mentioned that in the patch notes?
Indeed. Why wouldn't Pentax simply mention this fact - especially since Pentax AF performance is such an issue? Over the past few years, it seems as if every new firmware upgrade for Pentax cameras generates a belief that AF speed is somehow improved (even though Pentax makes no such claims). I'll upgrade, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Jer

Edit: I just updated my camera to 1.03. I have no means to measure AF speed before and after the change, so I can't verify quantitatively whether AF is faster or slower. Nevertheless, in qualitative terms, I can tell you that my DA 35/2.8 and DA 70/2.4, in daylight outside, focus very fast (just as they have always done), and indoors (with no light and the blinds closed), the two lenses hunt and vibrate prior to locking on focus (just as they have always done). Qualitatively, I just don't see a difference in behavior. While AF speed is not a major issue with me, I'd like to see Pentax develop a competitve AF system - I'm betting they will, but not in firmware updates.

Last edited by Sailor; 04-10-2009 at 04:20 PM.
04-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
(....)I'd like to see Pentax develop a competitve AF system - I'm betting they will, but not in firmware updates.
argh,,, party wrecker. it's better, it flies now, only pentax won't admit it because it will make them look bad.
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went ahead and flashed the firmware, for the first time since I bought my camera. My K50/1.2 doesn't focus any faster.

But seriously, is anyone privy to more details on this fix? I can't believe how minimal the official Pentax info is. Oh, sorry, yes I can... it is Pentax after all!

04-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two shots in poor light to test the new firmware. I can't say with any scientific rigour, but this does seem significantly better than I could do before. (Not a very steady shooter.)

cat - shake test

FA77
ISO100
f/1.8
1/10s
SR +3 stops
Would have been a bit sharper had I stopped down one, but very nice!

mug - shake test

K50 /1.2
ISO100
f/2
1/3s
SR +5 stops
A bit soft with that many stops gone, but that suits the image.

04-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

So I just updated - downloaded, copied to "route directory" (rather than go cross-country), installed. Aimed the DA 18-250 at a dark corner and it AF'd very fast. I am so happy. Happy happy joy joy! The camera is still smarter than I.
04-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Indeed. Why wouldn't Pentax simply mention this fact - especially since Pentax AF performance is such an issue? Over the past few years, it seems as if every new firmware upgrade for Pentax cameras generates a belief that AF speed is somehow improved (even though Pentax makes no such claims). I'll upgrade, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Jer

Edit: I just updated my camera to 1.03. I have no means to measure AF speed before and after the change, so I can't verify quantitatively whether AF is faster or slower. Nevertheless, in qualitative terms, I can tell you that my DA 35/2.8 and DA 70/2.4, in daylight outside, focus very fast (just as they have always done), and indoors (with no light and the blinds closed), the two lenses hunt and vibrate prior to locking on focus (just as they have always done). Qualitatively, I just don't see a difference in behavior. While AF speed is not a major issue with me, I'd like to see Pentax develop a competitve AF system - I'm betting they will, but not in firmware updates.
"with no light and the blinds closed"

Is this really an issue with any platform?

04-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
"with no light and the blinds closed"

Is this really an issue with any platform?
Sorry, I made the room sound darker than it was. Again, the point is that since I have no reliable means to measure AF speed under the controlled conditions necessary to make such measurements meaningful, I can't say with certainty whether AF is affected by the update. Qualitatively, however, the camera seems to behave as before in this regard.

Jer
04-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dunno, it seems to me the AF is most definitely behaving differently on my FA 50. (Seems I jumped straight from the 1.00 firmware to 1.03, ...mean to ask if they're cumulative or anything)

I don't know if you'd find it overall faster all the time, but it definitely leaps right to about where it wants to be more of the time: less huntey. I'm not sure why that would be unless they sneaked something in there.
04-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
typically all updates will be within the latest update. when the internet was slower this wasnt always the case though.
04-12-2009, 12:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I need someone with two k20Ds for a real world death match, one loaded with the new firmware and the other...................
04-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Bit slow here folks no sleep I went to d/l on my sdhc card(V 1.03),slipped it back in the camera turned it on,off check firmware version and still 1.01 ,for the love of my sanity can some one show me the way

cheers
04-12-2009, 04:01 AM   #28

There seems to be no difference in focus speed on my K20D. At least with the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 mounted.

Went from 1.00 to 1.03.
04-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Bit slow here folks no sleep I went to d/l on my sdhc card(V 1.03),slipped it back in the camera turned it on,off check firmware version and still 1.01 ,for the love of my sanity can some one show me the way
You held down menu when you turned it on, right? That is needed for the firmware to load.

Then you wait very carefully not touching anything until it says Completed.
04-12-2009, 04:10 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote

cheers
Are you holding down the Menu button while turning the camera on?

I failed to do that and for the life of me could not figure out why my camera would not update.

So of course when I read how to "check" what version of firmware your camera has I FINALLY read about the "hold menu button in while turning on the camera" to see what version firmware you have. Imagine my surprise when I also get asked if I want to update my firmware.

One last thing to note: When the system is done updating you can ignore the flashing status bar as long as you see UPDATE COMPLETED in the lower left corner of the screen.

I decided to leave my camera sitting on the desk next to me while I was surfing the net during the update process. I figured I would notice the flashing progress bar stop and I would then turn off the camera. Well after 5 minutes go by and the damn thing is still flashing I finally notice the "notice" in the lower left part of the screen.