Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Damn my slow typing. Beaten to the punch by mere minutes.

04-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I've tried 6 times after d/l putting the bin files onto my sdhc card turning on while depressing the menu button and all I get is V1.01 and then its reday to shot nothing hapened

cheers
04-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #33
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I've tried 6 times after d/l putting the bin files onto my sdhc card...
Sorry, bin files? You mean just one bin file, right? If there are several versions, I assume the system could be confused.
04-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Yes just the one files.What I mean is that it formatted 5 times the same bin files on the card and tried a fresh one 6 times,but still comes up with V1.01 and nothing else

cheers

04-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #35
emr

How about another card in case that one's not OK?
04-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #36
pdo

I shoot mostly in studios environment and AF is definitely improved.
04-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Yes just the one files.What I mean is that it formatted 5 times the same bin files on the card and tried a fresh one 6 times,but still comes up with V1.01 and nothing else

cheers
(just to be sure)

- format the card, in the camera
- take the card out, connect it to the pc "somehow" (card reader, whatever)
- write the extracted firmware file (FWDC183B.BIN on my computer) to the root of the cards filesystem (that is, not inside a directory on the card); umount the filesystem of the card (in windows, something like "safely remove" iirc), this is needed to be sure the files are actually written to the card before you pull it out (not cached in memory)
-maybe check that the file is actually there (connect the card again, just check, disconnect), this is optional, for "debugging"
- put the card in the camera, press and hold hte menu button, turn on, you should be prompted to update the firmware.

let us know if it does not work, maybe we can help debug the procedure somehow

oh, be sure to have a full battery in your camera (or at least not about to die)

ps: i'll be damned if i can see any difference in either SR or AF, they both work adequately, as before (kit lens and 50-200), both in low light, and af-s/af-c in the sun. sorry :/ (to be fair, i haven't used af lenses in a while, i just tried again lately out of curiosity)
04-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Why wouldn't Pentax simply mention this fact - especially since Pentax AF performance is such an issue?
For one thing, that is Pentax's style. They've introduced ground breaking features throughout their whole history without much fanfare.

For another thing, the AF performance boost is probably only noticeable on a subset of lenses. If they claimed that AF is improved across the board, people without those lenses would be screaming even louder.

04-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
For one thing, that is Pentax's style. They've introduced ground breaking features throughout their whole history without much fanfare.

I've owned and used Pentax cameras since 1978, and I've never seen them so reticent that they wouldn't mention an improvement in a performance characteristic as imporatant as AF.

However, as far as I know, you may be right; on the other, perhaps AF wasn't mentioned simply because it isn't affected by the update.

Jer
04-13-2009, 05:48 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely faster AF with V1.03.

Tested with V1.01 before trying V1.03. AF.C is picking up more points sweeping across the room. AF.S is fixing after one 'hunt' instead of the standard two for my K20D under tungsten light in my living room.

AF speed was not that big a problem for me, but if V1.03 sorts out the backfocussing failures I've been putting up with I'll be a happy man.
04-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
im going to come back in here and say that i think the af is faster too... im really against falling for a placebo effect so im pretty critical of it - but after a couple days use im nearly 100% certain its better
04-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #42
Forum Member

Yep AF is definitely faster/more accurate for me too with v1.03
04-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Just updated mine. I dont know if it is any faster, but I swear I am about 1kg lighter now the the amount of shitting myself I did during the update
04-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

HEHE me too untill I figured it out now to test over the week

cheers
04-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #45

Placebo is always part of the cure so I have no doubts you guys are seeing something.
However, it must be either lens based, ever so slight or am simply too blase because I'm seeing no changes whatsoever. I have been shooting as usual this weekend after the upgrade, using DFA 100/2.8, FA 35/2, FA 50/2 and DA 12-24/4. No formal tests, no purposely trying the AF, just deliberate photography in good and low light, with fairly stationary subjects. I am not the shaky type so I doubt I have benefited from better stabilization. Autofocus is as precise as it used to be, and it conveys the same subjective perception of speed and hesitations around focus point. Business as usual. Maybe I need some extraordinary circumstances to highlight the magic touch.
Regards.

P.S. Yeah, I figured I should mention I was shooting in AF-S, with focus point manually selected. Not continuous AF, not auto point selection. Those might have changed but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Last edited by mirocal; 04-15-2009 at 04:24 PM.