Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

What to get my son.

Hi My son is getting keen on photography. He is very art orientated & clearly has a talent. He's 21.

I'd like to get him a Pentax (can use my lenses, I've a K10D) second hand & if he doesn't continue with I can sell it again. (Or keep it myself as a second body)

I really don't know what to look for, be it *ist, K100D, K110D. K10d's are still too expensive. He's mucking around with my old Ricoh XR-M at present. (Put a digiback on that & I would have kept it )

Any idea's?

Thanks

Graeme

04-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That's a fantastic idea for a gift. I would consider the K100D Super as a good choice. You get both SR and DSM support. Any choice will be great, so I hope he enjoys it.
04-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A used K10D. The going price for a good copy seems to be about $350 from the For Sale forum.

If he doesn't like it, keep it as your second body.

A used K100D Super or K100D does not cost a whole lot less.
04-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
maybe let him play with the ricoh for a bit longer (k mount, i assume?), fund his need for film and processing meanwhile, and give him access to work with the scanned film on the computer (so he can learn processing basics). help him learn the basics (exposure, aperture, focus, dof, composition), after that, you will know if he wants to go on, and if so, it will be easier to figure out what he needs next.

mind you, i am not trying to prevent your son from getting the whole digital fun, but i think it's better to wait a bit and when you invest for him, invest at least in a k10d (knowing that he will be using it and loving it)

that being said, great idea, he's a lucky boy

04-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The voice of experience says, "Be forewarned! If you do this you're signing away exclusive rights to your lenses." ;~)
04-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K100D + DA 40 Ltd

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
The voice of experience says, "Be forewarned! If you do this you're signing away exclusive rights to your lenses." ;~)
AGREE!

...and he's 21??? and YOU are buying him stuff? Encourage him, but let him fund his own equipment...

IMHO... Cheers...
04-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
AGREE!

...and he's 21??? and YOU are buying him stuff? Encourage him, but let him fund his own equipment...

IMHO... Cheers...
I agree. Easy come, easy, go is true. I've been on my own sence i was 16, now 62 and dad gave me $5.oo as I left. I taught my kids how to make and spend their own money (including buying quality). They are teaching our grand kids (14 and counting!) the same independence and selfworth. I appreciate you wanting to give your son a rich experience, I do too. (my son is 42) The main thing is have a close and fun life with him!

Just my perspective,

Steve N

04-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that.

It's actually his birthday but I must say I like the option of leaving him with the Ricoh (yep, K Mount) & getting him some film.

Unfortunately our A$ is about 70c to the US$ at present. It was near par a year ago & I bought a stack of stuff from B & H, Adorama & KEH.

Not so attractive now.

Last edited by jibbonpoint; 04-09-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: more info
04-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Why not get him an old film camera and some Taks? It would be a great way to learn the skills.
04-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

i am not completely in the "let the boy provide for himself" bandwagon. i always have been, i wouldn't have minded somebody financing my hobby . however, i do agree, and i did mention it, but i will say it again: teach him, what you can teach him is worth a hell of a lot more than what you can buy for him. i am completely self-thought, and i know i would have enjoyed (and could have used) some guidance.

if it's his birthday though, you must "do" something. ideas:

- a cool lens, to be his and his alone (not shared) for that ricoh. maybe more than one.
- some special film (like ilford delta 3200, oh yeah, those were the days)
- a decent film scanner to play with the photos on the computer (but that might prove expensive enough to not be worth it instead of a dslr)
- a trip to some location you know he would enjoy shooting (maybe a photo workshop with you )
edit
- a good tripod and head?
- extension rings/bellows for macro

you get the picture.

otoh, if you (know) you have to get a dslr and can, do it

have a lot of fun
04-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's a good idea Nanok. I could let him out for a run with mine & we could fiddle with f-stops, apperture, ISO etc. Then he could set up the Ricoh & go for it with his. I do have a Plustek Opticfilm 7200 which is adequate if he want to scan the negs.

Yep, I'll do that.
04-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

with that plustek you're pretty much all set, i hear it's a pretty good machine.

in that case, i think getting him something really unforgettable (like a photo learning experience in a location which you know will be inspiring to him) is worth it. or at least a lens (you know what they say: lenses are forever )

in any case, i hope you both have a lot of fun (and don't fight over that k10d now..)
04-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
Igilligan

I can't believe how wrong Gary is again... seems to be happening a lot lately. Could be he is back on the sauce! hehe

I am against the leaving him with just the film camera... I learned more about exposure / composition in a month with the K100d than I did in all the time with the K1000 / ME back in the day... I just could not afford to learn as much as I would have liked on my own at the time.
The cost of film / development would be prohibitive to a 21 year old, and if he is artistic, he gets immediate feedback on his experiments with digital...

A used K100d, reg or super is probably $200 -250... you cant go wrong with that as a great gift IMHO.
04-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I can't believe how wrong Gary is again... seems to be happening a lot lately. Could be he is back on the sauce! hehe

I am against the leaving him with just the film camera... I learned more about exposure / composition in a month with the K100d than I did in all the time with the K1000 / ME back in the day... I just could not afford to learn as much as I would have liked on my own at the time.
The cost of film / development would be prohibitive to a 21 year old, and if he is artistic, he gets immediate feedback on his experiments with digital...

A used K100d, reg or super is probably $200 -250... you cant go wrong with that as a great gift IMHO.
I'm not wrong, I'm just a different kind of right.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-13-2009 at 11:43 PM.
04-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #15

A good film scanner isn't going to be much cheaper than a dslr and there will be costs of developing. Much easier to learn photography by using a dslr as there you can do as much as you want without the additional costs.

I would expect you'd be able to find a K100D or K100D super body only for a reasonable price.