Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax are becoming HUGE in Europe

Hello..

Just thought I would share this little tidbit of info with you. I spoke with my "Guy" at Pentax and we starting doing some small talk. You know that standard stuff. I asked "So, how's business?" I got, we are selling extremely well everywhere in Europe and especially in Germany, France, England and Holland. In fact what is happening is beyond anything they ever expected to sell...

Perhaps one of the reasons for the shortages.

Ben

04-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They don't need Hoya. Keep this up and they may well dislodge Oly that sits a notch above them in terms of market share.

Good news Ben, although not too surprising with cameras like the K10D out, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
-Asad
04-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very encouraging news Ben (not about the shortages though... )

I heard a similar comment from my contact at Pentax Canada a few months ago. She indicated that had Pentax known the camera would sell so well, the MSRP of $899 for the body would have been higher.

My biggest worry is whether or not they can keep the momentum going, and plug away at their historic weaknesses:
  1. by continuing to have strong showings and timeliness in their new camera body releases
  2. a current and readily available generation of faster telephoto lenses (F/2.8 or F/4)
  3. longer (fast) glass over 300mm
I know that's being addressed, and the sooner the better...

Cheers,
Marc
04-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What? He didn't mention New Zealand, damn!

04-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New Lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
I heard a similar comment from my contact at Pentax Canada a few months ago. She indicated that had Pentax known the camera would sell so well, the MSRP of $899 for the body would have been higher.

My biggest worry is whether or not they can keep the momentum going, and plug away at their historic weaknesses:
  1. by continuing to have strong showings and timeliness in their new camera body releases
  2. a current and readily available generation of faster telephoto lenses (F/2.8 or F/4)
  3. longer (fast) glass over 300mm
I know that's being addressed, and the sooner the better...

Cheers,
Marc
Hello Marc;

In the Fall there will quite a few new lenses on offer that will easily compete with lenses on offer by Canon and Nikon. The Pentax arsenal is slowly but surely growing. The "Classic" excuse for not considering Pentax will become a non-issue.
It will be interesting to hear what reasons will be given for not considering Pentax as a serious contender.

Ben
04-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
wll
Veteran Member

Worried about Merger !

Ben,

I have been using Pentax for many, many years. I bought my DS's three years ago or so and use them in my work. They have since been replaced with my two K10D's.

I love the cameras, the way they feel, the quality etc, etc, but this merger / non merger with Hoya has me concerned, and has put a damper on my next two lenses, the 16-50mm and the 50-135mm. I own three limiteds, and other fine Pentax glass but don't wish to invest if Pentax is in a buy out mode where the company philosophy would change for the worse.

What are your thoughts and what have you heard concerning this ? I know that the camera and the lenses are selling like hotcakes and Pentax is now strong financially, but the other issue can determine if Pentax will stay alive.

wll
04-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Concerns

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Ben,

I have been using Pentax for many, many years. I bought my DS's three years ago or so and use them in my work. They have since been replaced with my two K10D's.

I love the cameras, the way they feel, the quality etc, etc, but this merger / non merger with Hoya has me concerned, and has put a damper on my next two lenses, the 16-50mm and the 50-135mm. I own three limiteds, and other fine Pentax glass but don't wish to invest if Pentax is in a buy out mode where the company philosophy would change for the worse.

What are your thoughts and what have you heard concerning this ? I know that the camera and the lenses are selling like hotcakes and Pentax is now strong financially, but the other issue can determine if Pentax will stay alive.

wll
Hi Will;

Personally, I am not concerned as I am a photographer and take pictures for a living. I say that because the tool will always exist. I can honestly understand your concern and as a result, I will share with you what transpired after meeting with Pentax. I don't know if I will get any info at the meeting. I might get a "Feeling" from them that I may detect. Personally and this is my intuition, I think Pentax based on their incredible growth performance are in control of the wheel. I'm not worried..

Ben

04-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
wll
Veteran Member

Thanks Ben

I'll look forward to your insight.

wll
04-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are worried about the future of Pentax, shouldnt that make you more eager to buy these lenses as soon as possible? Out of fear that they may not be available later?
04-14-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
Inactive Account

So that's where all the lenses are going!
04-14-2007, 01:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your Site

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
So that's where all the lenses are going!
I had a look at your site..Some very beautiful and creative imagery...

Ben
04-14-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My experience does not coincide with the comments of your Pentax guy. When comparing various cameras (and just wasting the day in general), I visited over a half dozen photo stores in the Heidelberg and Mannheim area (Central Germany). Only one store had a Pentax camera, and none had the latest models (K100D, K10D, etc). Pentax certainly has a long way to go if they intend to ever catch up with Canon or Nikon. I do hope they will eventually accomplish that, and will definately be cheering for them along the way. But, at the moment, I see no evidence to support a notion that Pentax is, or is becoming, huge in Europe.
04-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sales

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
My experience does not coincide with the comments of your Pentax guy. When comparing various cameras (and just wasting the day in general), I visited over a half dozen photo stores in the Heidelberg and Mannheim area (Central Germany). Only one store had a Pentax camera, and none had the latest models (K100D, K10D, etc). Pentax certainly has a long way to go if they intend to ever catch up with Canon or Nikon. I do hope they will eventually accomplish that, and will definately be cheering for them along the way. But, at the moment, I see no evidence to support a notion that Pentax is, or is becoming, huge in Europe.
Pentax sales are up exponentially throughout Europe. You also have to consider sales on the Internet as a major source of this phenomena.
04-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I had a look at your site..Some very beautiful and creative imagery...

Ben
Thank you Ben... coming from a photographer of your caliber, that means a lot. I've seen some of your work before... quite inspiring!
04-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I am disappointed in this news...I'll never get my 35 f2 and 40 pancake at this rate....