Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #1

Portability Questions on K20D & 100mm Macro and 18-250 tele

I love you folks. I've been rumbling around in the archives.

Here's my dilemma. I would like convenience and portability with my K20D (buying on Amazon today). I commute by bike and bus to work and everywhere (camera always with me in padded messenger bag) and want the convenience of the Pentax DA 18-250 and the thrill of 1:1 macro with the Pentax FA 100mm Macro.

I lug around a lot of crap normally in the messenger bag so I don't think that replacing the crap with the weight of the K20D with battery grip, the 18-250, and the 100 Macro is too unrealistic.....huh....huh....huh?????

I'm a dedicated amateur with memories of lugging around my 400 lb Nikon and four lenses...but then I was only 30 years old. At 63 now, my Trek bike has 21 gears but I only have about 2 stripped gears on me! So I don't zoom on the bike but I would like to zoom with the camera and get really quality photos.

1. How much would all this gear weigh?
2. I want the macro for very small things, not necessarily bugs or always things that are moving, just really good quality. Is the 100 Macro the best choice for this? I'd rather have a good macro lens than do the closeup filter thingy.
3. Will the 18-250 tele stand up to being hauled around on a bike (Remember I bike slowly and patiently).
4. I don't want to sacrifice speed of the lens but is there a better choice of lenses for what I want.

Thanks for your advice!

04-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hello there.

1 - You can hunt the spec sheets for exact weights, but I guess 2 to 2,5 kg
2 - Probably. A shorter focal length macro means you get closer and scare bugs away. OTOH, DOF is longer.
3 - Certainly will. I have one and it's a great lens.
4 - Only if you're willing to sacrifice zoom range, or carry more lenses.
04-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
You are a dear and a luv! I'm going now to tell Amazon to "wrap it up!"
04-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I commute on my bike every day with my K10D + battery grip, FA 35mm f/2 lens and either my 18-55 kit lens, my 50mm f/1.7 or my Takumar 135mm f/2.5. I also carry a 15" MacBook Pro, tire repair kit, Moleskine, etc. My lenses were chosen specifically for their small size and relative light weight-to-speed ratio. I'm not a big fan of do-it-all zooms but I hear the DA 18-250 is a decent lens in a fairly compact and lightweight package. I'd opt for the DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited over the 100mm due to its compact size and stellar performance. In fact, you could probably get by most days with just the 35 macro. Check out my personal blog article to see my commuter set-up. I highly recommend the Topeak trunk bag with hide-away panniers as a much better solution than a backpack/messenger bag, BTW.

click image for larger version

04-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
You read my mind! My next question was about the best bag for the bike. I'll definitely look at the Topeak Trunk Bag.....as well as visit your site for bike/photo info. Thanks, so much.
04-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
I commute on my bike every day with my K10D + battery grip, FA 35mm f/2 lens and either my 18-55 kit lens, my 50mm f/1.7 or my Takumar 135mm f/2.5. I also carry a 15" MacBook Pro, tire repair kit, Moleskine, etc.
Bike, Pentax, MacBook, and Moleskine. That's almost Heaven. :ugh:

(Have you been looking in my bag???)
04-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
Does this mean you are BOTH GTD'ers? I suppose they should do a poll....how many photographers are also GTD'ers.

I was a mere flash-in-the-pan GTD'er, no pun intended.

Now there is the Pentax. Another day, another obsession.
04-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Save weight and space - get an extra battery, not a grip. I can fill a 16GB card a couple times on one battery, with the other always charged. I usually carry my K20D+DA18-250 (and a DA10-17 and maybe an old Vivitar 90/2.8M) in an Ameribag shoulder tote, along with several PNSs and lotsa other crap. I can't speak to the FA90M, but the weight of my load is no problem. And since I'm a 'bent biker, the tote is no problem either, heh.

04-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well RioRico, you are going to love this. I just got an email confirmation from Amazon that my order had shipped....I scanned down the page and gasped. In the insane time of putting things in the basket and taking them out again and then finding "bundles" cheaper and putting that in and taking the originals out....

well they are shipping me....wait for it......not 1....not 2....but 3 battery grips, 2 extra batteries, and 2 remote controls.

I suppose that would be fine if I had multiple personality disorder.

No wonder it seemed as if I was spending more money than I thought it would be.

So, I'll be doing a little returning.

Thanks for the "what you can easily carry on a bike" comment. I'm relieved.
04-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

While not a true macro, the 18-250 will focus within 18", giving you a pseudo-macro capability, around 1:3.5. If you get tired of lugging around your 100mm macro, the 18-250 will still get some nice closeups. Again, I'm not saying it's a replacement, but it can stand it fairly well, especially with some cropping of the K20D's 14mp.

Here are a few examples:

04-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
Damn Brit

You know Pardes, sometimes you can't beat the old fashioned basket on the handlebars, as long as your bag fit's securely in it. Your camera can be easily accessible that way as well.
04-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You know Pardes, sometimes you can't beat the old fashioned basket on the handlebars, as long as your bag fit's securely in it. Your camera can be easily accessible that way as well.
Surely you jest.
04-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pardes Quote
Surely you jest.
Not at all, I'm an old fashioned kind at heart.
04-17-2009, 05:45 AM   #14

Pardes,

I just weighed the following items and the total was 4.5 lbs.

K20D with battery
BG2 Grip with battery and remote
Tamron 18-250 (same as Pentax)
Tamron 90mm Macro

Gerry
04-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
Pardes,

I just weighed the following items and the total was 4.5 lbs.

K20D with battery
BG2 Grip with battery and remote
Tamron 18-250 (same as Pentax)
Tamron 90mm Macro

Gerry
Thanks! It doesn't sound like much until it's hanging from a shoulder strap and bouncing against the small of my back on a bicycle. So, I'm stuffed it into a Trek bag and now it's bouncing along on the front rack of my bike. I can see that I'll be eternally trying to figure out transport issues. Perhaps the only solution is getting a pack mule to trot along behind my bike.