Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 03:14 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll say go for the K20D. I used to have the K10D and having seen my friend's K20D pics, fell in love with it, but I took my time to get it as I had to put money aside and finally on the 25th of March 2009, took that plunge and now really lovin' it. Now also in the midst on getting the 16-50 F2.8

04-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote

Things I am looking forward to on the K20D, AF adjustment, liveview, and "better" IQ. I always thought I may have a bit of a focusing issue with my K10D but never sent it in and now the warranty is over.

Any suggestions......?
Zippedity-Doo-Dah to The Imaging Resource Comparometer and load both cameras in. While it is not as good as having both cameras in your hand it will give you a pretty good idea what to expect by comparing static test shots.
If you can't load or find the K10D in the list make sure you look in the upper part of the screen for the "Display Current | All Cameras" section and click on All. By default the current list does not include the K10D.

Ah, "Spring present". Don't you just love made up holidays?

My favorite impromptu holiday is the "I haven't bought myself anything in a while" holiday.

Last edited by Riktar; 04-12-2009 at 04:30 AM. Reason: typo
04-12-2009, 06:21 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i was not speeking about you, i was speeking in general. everytime a member ask if they should upgrade, the first thing other members write is no wait for the K30, a body that does not exist, i can say that , cause that happened to me, over a year ago, and today i am still reading advice about the K30, and it is still not around , and if i took that advice , imagin that , 1+ years after, i would still be waiting to upgrade, now be honest here, if i took that advice back then , won't i have been stupid.
today i have a K20 and love it, and it is worth the upgrade by 500 times folded.

Dave
What did you upgrade from?
04-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

i was not speeking about you, i was speeking in general. everytime a member ask if they should upgrade, the first thing other members write is no wait for the K30, a body that does not exist, i can say that , cause that happened to me, over a year ago, and today i am still reading advice about the K30, and it is still not around , and if i took that advice , imagin that , 1+ years after, i would still be waiting to upgrade, now be honest here, if i took that advice back then , won't i have been stupid.
today i have a K20 and love it, and it is worth the upgrade by 500 times folded.

Dave
Not sure I can agree that the K20D is 500 times better than a K10D. Maybe 2X better (in terms of ISO and IQ). I think madisonphotogrl will get more bang for her buck with some new glass. But that's just me.

04-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So I currently have a delima and I can't figure out what to do. So as a "spring present" I can either upgrade my camera from K10D to K20D or get a lens. Obviously the lens is a more economical route. I was considering the Pentax DA 10-17mm fisheye or a f.28 zoom in the range of 15-70 or so.. Not sure if I'd stay strictly Pentax on that one or not. I know glass is always a better "investment" but I know that there are some awesome upgrades in the K20D that I would like. I honestly don't think I will ever move to a FF DSLR, even if Pentax ever makes one. it would just be overkill for me..

Things I am looking forward to on the K20D, AF adjustment, liveview, and "better" IQ. I always thought I may have a bit of a focusing issue with my K10D but never sent it in and now the warranty is over.

Any suggestions......?
Rumours are that Pentax will be announcing a new body soon. With prices of K20d quite low right now, its a good time to pick one up as I doubt the replacement will be cheap (new products get hit by the full force of the rising Yen).

On the other hand, if there are some lenses you actually need, you could get those instead, but the ones you mentioned sound more like "nice to have" rather than "must have".

I find the K20D much easier to use than the K10D mainly because it doesnt blow out highlights so easily, and because the screen shows a much more accurate colour gamut. Nor would I want to live without lens adjustment from now on. But the K10D is still a great camera.

Personally I would wait it out and do something different, like invest in a decent tripod.
04-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I found the best (or worst) of two worlds: bought the K2000 (owing to the then-high price of the K20) for better low-light focus/noise/ISO/etc. and then used the enclosed rebate card to get $150 off a 10-17 fisheye and 55-300 tele, a promotion that came as a surprise. Either I'm oblivious (likely) or Pentax is/was not marketing that promotion very well (refer here to all threads and comments about Pentax marketing).

Found that I love the fisheye (in the proper dose) and discovered the value of the manual clutch (on the telephoto). That clutch alone may set off another round of LBA I cannot afford as it allows me to use the manual to get close and the automatic to get final - giving me focus on shots I could not make before.

The K2K is my "indoor" camera and K10 is "outdoor" for now.

The problem, of course, is that the total investment (note use of word "investment") is probably more than you have in mind.

We'll see what the next body is and does. Probably feed CBBA.
04-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I currently have a delima and I can't figure out what to do. So as a "spring present" I can either upgrade my camera from K10D to K20D or get a lens. Obviously the lens is a more economical route. I was considering the Pentax DA 10-17mm fisheye or a f.28 zoom in the range of 15-70 or so.. Not sure if I'd stay strictly Pentax on that one or not. I know glass is always a better "investment" but I know that there are some awesome upgrades in the K20D that I would like. I honestly don't think I will ever move to a FF DSLR, even if Pentax ever makes one. it would just be overkill for me..

Any suggestions......?

At current prices, you could actually probably get the K20D and a replacement for the kit lens.

K20D new = about $660
A used DA 16-45 (very nice lens) = about $200 - 220 used on this forum. I believe it goes for $275 new?

So you'd still be in your price range of $800 to $900.

One of the big improvements I noticed on the K20D is the improved performance at ISO 1600, so using the K20D versus the K10D almost made my 16-45 feel like it was an entirely new lens (I could more realistically use it indoors).

There, conflict solved!

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 04-12-2009 at 01:00 PM.
04-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Dave
Well, since the K20d would have been, what, only out for six months when someone said, 'Wait for the next model,' yes, that would have been silly, even at the kind of breakneck pace of new model releases there recently was.

Anyway, Madison, I wouldn't go out of my way to get the upgraded kit lens, it's wonderful as kit lenses go, but is still just a kit lens. (Mine came as an actual kit freebie, or I would have skipped it) As mentioned, .... you could have maybe the 16-45 or a Tammie 28-75 for not-too-much-more.

It seems a new release is in the offing this summer, but in what form or at what price point, who knows... and as these things go, they're likely to be marked up at first for those who just can't wait.

A K20d is certainly a worthy upgrade, if you want to have two cameras around. If you could settle for one, reselling the K10 could get you in a faster zoom, as well.

I'd say, if you really wanted the 16-50, you could put that on your K10d and save for an upgrade to a used K20, though, as an option.

04-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Bodies don't last long before they're superceded, so like others have said, look for what you really need in a cam and make that the reason why you upgrade.

I don't have a K20D, but for the reasons others have said to upgrade to it, I'm not going for it - I shoot quite comfortably at ISO 100-800 with my K10D and am happy with its resolution for what I do with it. I even find that my *ist D is all I need for some assignments.

Better lenses on the other hand give you unrivalled IQ and 'pop' which you can have on your K10D (as well as any other cam). So I too would say lenses first if a DA*16-50/Tamron 17-50 or DA 10-17 are what you're after.