Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Green Dots?

I have a K100D Super with the 18-55mm kit lens. I've taken over 6000 pictures since getting the camera in January 2008, and love the camera.

When I zoom in on my pictures, I can see green dots (pixels?) I compared the position of the dots from some pictures and it seems consistent.

It's most noticeable on dark images.

any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

Attached Images

04-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tirec Quote
I have a K100D Super with the 18-55mm kit lens. I've taken over 6000 pictures since getting the camera in January 2008, and love the camera.

When I zoom in on my pictures, I can see green dots (pixels?) I compared the position of the dots from some pictures and it seems consistent.

It's most noticeable on dark images.

any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.
Dirty Sensor?

When is the last time you had it cleaned?
04-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nothing to do with a dirty sensor. Those look like hot pixels.
04-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #4

These are almost certainly hot pixels.

All DSLRs develop them eventually. If you shoot in RAW, the processing software can remove them automatically.

Gerry

04-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

"Stuck/hot" pixels?

I had one on my monitor but it's gone after I used a fix for monitors, I don't think there is a fix for sensors other than sending the camera in for repair.
04-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Igilligan

Stuck pixels is right

Had some on my K100d and sent it in to Pentax in Co. just before the warranty ran out. They mapped them out and I had it back in 3 weeks.

I have read if you shoot Raw that will map them out somehow... Or you can fix in PP pretty easy.

Or take it to the Pentax facility in Co...
04-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

While you could send it in for repair, realistically, hot pixels are "normal" with pretty much any camera. And a camera tends to develop more over time. Might as well get used to them and how to deal with them.
04-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hmmm. I have an extended warranty, so I think I'll send it in for service.

I don't typically use RAW format.

Do these hot spots get worse over time, or does it tend to level out?

Thanks all.

04-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Igilligan

My thoughts

On some level I agree with Marc... Dead / Stuck pixels are a fact of life with sensors... When I had pentax remap mine out last year... It came back perfect... But over time a few more began to show up.

If you shoot something dark or underexposed you should be able to go in at 100% and see exactly how many stuck pixels you have and what their x/y position is on the sensor. If you have a whole lot of them I would vote for sending it in...

You should see how many you have anyway, to tell Pentax how many stuck pixels you have... And to be able to confirm they got them when you get the camera back...

If you only have a few, I would wait until the warranty is almost up and try and figure out the easiest way to deal with them in PP...

One thing I noticed about myself was that it was painful once I started to obsess about them... when I finally decided just to clone out the ones that were a problem on any keeper tight crops, then it became no big deal and I was having fun again.
So I waited until 2 weeks before the warranty ran out and sent in the camera with the x/y info of all the stuck pixels .
04-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tirec Quote
Do these hot spots get worse over time, or does it tend to level out?
More develop over time.
04-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you shoot in RAW, most RAW programs will automatically get rid of hot pixels for you. I know Lightroom does for me. And it's pretty normal, especially if you're taking long exposures, during to the buildup of heat from the sensor. I personally don't worry about it too much.

Here's a 100% crop from a shot I took at 30sec, ISO 400 from my camera, with noise reduction off and after doing quite a few 30 sec exposures. Lightroom got rid of all that for me though.
04-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #12
Forum Member

Did you try pixel Mapping? Page 235 of the manual. See if that helps.