Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D: Focus Confirmation & SR with M42 lenses?

I've searched high and low for this information, and can't find it. I thought there was a way to enable both focus confirmation and shake reduction on the K20D when using M42 screw-mount lenses. Neither is operating on my camera at the moment, although they do both work with Pentax-A lenes.

On other models, isn't there a setting in Custom -- something like "Enable FI with S Lenses"? I cannot find a similar setting with the K20D.

04-13-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi,
I'm at work at the moment so can't confirm by testing but I have custom setting 36 'Using Aperture Ring' set to on on my K20. It was the same setting on my K200 as well.

Focusing is left to 'Auto Single (or whatever the setting is' on the camera and Shake Reduction is turned on on the body.
I know that when I focus an M42 using these settings, the focus light does come on. I find that you do have to have the aperature wide open for the camera to focus since there is no auto control of aperature.

I can't verify whether the Shake Reduction is working though. I just assume it is.

Hope this helps and is what you were looking for. Otherwise, hopefully others can help you.

Michael
04-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, both work on the K20D.

If you have shake reduction enabled with a mf lens it should ask for the focal length when you start up the camera.

If you have "Using aperture ring" set to on in the custom settings you should also have focus confirmation in M or AV exposure mode with shutter button half-press.

(In AV you set aperture on the lens and the camera sets exposure time accordingly, not sure if this work with all adapters but it does with the original Pentax M42 one.)
04-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Igilligan

you can also

As others mentioned, if you have "using aperture ring' enabled in custom menu... when you first turn you camera on you will be asked to chose a focal length.

If you are using an old MF zoom and you want to change you focal length that you originally set because you have gone from say the wide to the long setting... you can just hit menu - the up arrow and you are at the "select focal length line in the menu.

04-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
As others mentioned, if you have "using aperture ring' enabled in custom menu... when you first turn you camera on you will be asked to chose a focal length.

If you are using an old MF zoom and you want to change you focal length that you originally set because you have gone from say the wide to the long setting... you can just hit menu - the up arrow and you are at the "select focal length line in the menu.
Now who's being so wrong.

It is advisable when changing lenses to turn the camera off. With the camera on static may be generated which is a magnet to dust.
Turn the camera off, change lenses and when you turn the camera back on, you select the desired FL.
04-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Igilligan

Oh no... you really are drinking again

My Dearest Gary, I am a worried about you...

I was talking about using a MF zoom lense... You don't need to shut the camera off every time you change from the wide end, to the long end... you just hit menu, click up, and reset your SR - FL... with the camera on.

My thought is the less amount of times you flip that on / off switch... the better.

Gary, it is morning here in CA... If you need a sponser... I am here for you DB... hehe

I do agree with you that it is not only advisable 'not' to change lenses with the camera on... you should not do it ever...

But once again you are a bit more wrong than me... and that is sayin' something

Last edited by Igilligan; 04-13-2009 at 10:45 AM.
04-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Damn Brit

I was talking about using a MF zoom lense... You don't need to shut the camera off every time you change from the wide end, to the long end... you just hit menu, click up, and reset your SR - FL... with the camera on.

My thought is the less amount of times you flip that on / off switch... the better.

Gary, it is morning here in CA... If you need a sponser... I am here for you DB... hehe

I do agree with you that it is not only advisable 'not' to change lenses with the camera on... you should not do it ever...

Darn it, I knew you'd spot the deliberate mistake. I will get you though... one day.
04-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
Bingo! Turning on "Using Aperature Ring" enables both autofocus confirmation and shake reduction when using my M42 lenses on my K20D.

Many thanks!

04-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Royal Quote
Bingo! Turning on "Using Aperature Ring" enables both autofocus confirmation and shake reduction when using my M42 lenses on my K20D.

Many thanks!
It also enables stop-down metering...essential for using non-A K-mount glass!

Steve
04-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Darn it, I knew you'd spot the deliberate mistake. I will get you though... one day.

You guys kill me
04-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip here. Got my Official Pentax Converter and 2 m42 lenses... Thought it a pain to have to shut the camera off... Will see if it works with the k100d too...