Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love Dust Removal!

Ok here is the scenario. I had a Samsung GX-1S (Pentax *ist-DS2 clone) that I gave to my daughter when I got my Pentax K20D. I decided to clean the sensor after being reminded here about sensor dust from someone else's thread. So I go to Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning. to refresh myself on the procedure and get out the few cleaning supplies I have, Rocket blower, Cleaning swabs and one of those gel-like stamp tools.

I start with the Samsung. After identifying the dust I start with the Rocket Blower. After checking it's results I use the Rocket Blower two more times and there is still some really tricky welded dust. I then move on to the gel-like tool. I use it several times testing between each pass and there is still some spots on the sensor. They are even visible by eye if you tilt the camera at certain angles. Finally I use the swab to clean the sensor then the rest of the interior. After 40 minutes the Samsung is clean.

The K20D is next, first doing a Dust Alert. Wow, to my surprise it is worse, by all accounts than the Samsung (although I believe it exaggerates the effect on screen). I remove the lens then use the Dust Removal selection. based on what I have read here I do the dust removal three times in a row with a few seconds rest between each shaking. I then check the Dust Alert again, about 1/2 of the dust is gone and others have moved around. So now out comes the Rocket Blower and after blowing out the sensor and chamber the Dust Alert shows no dust on the sensor. Five minutes from start to finish.

Dust Alert and Dust Removal are so much easier than the old ways of cleaning, photographing, downloading, re-cleaning. I will never buy another DSLR without those features. I love Dust Removal!

Just sayin'

04-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to hear but for me dust removal never worked and dust alert is not as good as doing it manually with a full size raw/jpeg.

That said I believe the big difference between the DS2 and the K20D is the anti-static coating on the sensor. This prevents the dust to get onto the sensor in the first place. I've never needed anything else than the Rocket blower on my K20D.
04-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As I mentioned, I beleive the Dust Alert exaggerates the dust issues on screen. Although exaggerating dust is not a bad thing. I have cleaned my K20D sensor two times in 4 months also, only needing a Rocket Blower. I do not use the dust shake on start up on the K20D. With the GX-1S I have had to use wet cleaning on three occassions in the past two years.

It must be the anti-static coating, seems on the Samsung dust "cements" itself to the sensor and cannot be easily removed.
04-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
As I mentioned, I beleive the Dust Alert exaggerates the dust issues on screen. Although exaggerating dust is not a bad thing.
It's actually good for a quick check, especially in the field. But if you prefer to see a more detailed picture of all the dust, it's better to do it manually (f/22 or smaller, completely defocussed, ISO 100, blank wall or sky). You'll see that a sensor is never completely clean. It's only clean enough for "real world" photography (although in macro, because of the use of small apertures, it's very important to check the cleanliness of the sensor before shooting).

04-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I was actually surprised that the dust removal actually works. A month ago I had a few specks that were visible at f11, but two turns with the sensor dust removal and they were gone. This really surprised me as I had always assumed that the dust removal on my Km was a bit of a joke.
04-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I have my K10D set to shake the sensor every time I turn it on, and have had very few problems with dust in the year and a half I've had it. I change lenses when and where I need to. The only precautions I take are to leave the camera with the lens mount down while changing lenses. I have a full swab set of cleaning tools, but have not yet had to use them. I am sure I will at some point, but so far so good.
04-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Dust Alert and Dust Removal are so much easier than the old ways of cleaning, photographing, downloading, re-cleaning. I will never buy another DSLR without those features. I love Dust Removal!

Just sayin'
I endorse this post I was so plagued with dust problems with my *istDS that I contemplated switching to Olympus for their dust-busting system. But the anti-dust system on my K200D has been so effective that dust has become a non-issue. Consider me a satisfied customer!
04-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

And to think all the reviews say that Pentax's system is awful......